Thread: Kimber talkeetna's 375....anyone shooting one?

Default Kimber talkeetna's 375....anyone shooting one?

Looking into these talkeetna's kimber in a 375...anyone shooting one that has some thoughts on them?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Had one briefly that I sold to another member here. Very nice rifle.

I'll get another if I get my neck sorted out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Be sure to shoot it before buying it. After all, it is a Kimber.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Yup I was gifted one by an extremely generous gentleman. Going to get it cut down to 20-21" and plan to rebore it to 416 rem for another $250 by JES reboring.

Nice rifle but I like shorty barrels so it's getting cut down.

I've been using one since they came out a few years ago. It is very accurate and shoots the 270gr TSX into small groups.
    With that light stock, they are muzzle heavy and I hope Lanche can give us a report on his after the barrel bob job.
    As with all my rifles, I honed the feed ramp and rails to enhance smooth feeding. The barrels are by Kreiger and an inspection with a bore scope showed very quality work......nicer than my two Dakotas.

Exploring a ruger guide gun right now.....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Exploring a ruger guide gun right now.....

I got one last summer and very happy with it. Not too familiar with the Kimbers, though aren't they super lightweight? No way I would trade my 9 lb (total weight) ruger in 375 for something lighter but that's just me. The one small thing that bugs me is the high bolt throw. I had to relearn my technique to not hit my hand on the scope.

Going to a light gun is easy....going back to a heavy gun is depressing. I like the guide gun, feels like a real hardcore gun.
    Master guide 212

Do you hand load? If so I would go for the ruger. Factory 375 ruger selections are pretty sparse. I don't have the guide gun but pretty close. Its a hawkey stainless with laminate stock, also has a 23" tube. I prefer the sleek laminate stock over the houge. I don't really like how bulky and sticky the houge is. The rugers tend to have feeding issues out of the box with rn bullets. A little 300 grit paired with 0000 steel wool fixed mine.

I have ordered the guide gun in 416 ruger. Gonna be running 350tsx for now till my supply is gone and see how they fair before I decide to run them again. Gonna take a bit of getting used to a heavier gun but it feels like a solid gun, one you could club seals with and still hold zero!!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I have ordered the guide gun in 416 ruger. Gonna be running 350tsx for now till my supply is gone and see how they fair before I decide to run them again. Gonna take a bit of getting used to a heavier gun but it feels like a solid gun, one you could club seals with and still hold zero!!
    FINALLY! It only took 10 posts to get someone to use the word run The title of this thread should of been Kimber talkeetna's 375....anyone running one?

Good luck in 2015 Jake. Glad to see you're going to be back doing what you love.

Forgive my gramma I am but a lowly uneducated guide....
    Master guide 212

Does this mean the NULA 416 has seen its last shift or is the collection merely expending?

I sold the nula two years ago now is currently collecting dust in Fairbanks. The guy is trying to sell it. It was fired 8
    Times. Lol
    Master guide 212

I am curious as to why you sent it down the road. Seems as if you were quite high on it for a while...

I had one in 9.3x62 but struggled to fall in love with either the round or the tight pistol grip on the stock. It too went down the road.

Indeed. But when I was between jobs after guiding a lot of great gear was sold to keep the family afloat....the nula was one of them.
    Master guide 212

I run the 416 Ruger with 300g TSX going 2200 fps. The 350 and 400 factory loads were too mean for my taste. I've got the Alaskan model and it's durable as advertised. I put a fixed 4 scope on it. They are heavy in the hand after awhile.

Offer the guy in fairbanks a NIB .416 ruger guide gun in trade! hahahahahaha maybe he would prefer the heavier gun, never hurts to ask Granted I bet the price difference is substantial, or trade a hunt!

Naaa don't really want the gun back. He tried to offer it back to me several hundred more than what I sold it to him for. Thought he had me over a barrel. Lol excited to try a new gun and make it my own. Change freshens things up sometimes.
    Master guide 212

I bought my .375ruger alaskan used off here. It copper fouls bad, doesn't seem to bother accuracy and I use wipe out first and let it sit over night when I clean it every time. Just an fyi, some say barrel break in don't matter, I'll do one if I ever buy another brand new. The ruger is a work horse! Love mine, harder ya work the bolt the better it works. Buttery smooth and just solid feel. It's my only big bore and serves everything just fine. Might try the 5.56 on caribou if I draw a tag locally. You will be happy with the gun, again wish ya the best of luck!