Thread: How Many Kings Look At Your Bait Before One Bites? - GoPro Footage

Default How Many Kings Look At Your Bait Before One Bites? - GoPro Footage

Maybe more than you think!

My thoughts... the fish that did take the bait, it was the only bait that had a more natural presentation... others seemed to be spinning around too much. Got their curiosity up, but they may have been too weary of the non-natural movement.

Cool use of the GoPro! Consider turning the mic off on the camera next time. The howl of the props through the water doesn't add anything to the video. Otherwise I agree with bobmikk--a tighter, slower roll to the herring would probably get more strikes.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I agree that the action of the herring on the first 5 is kinda hosed. I sure wouldn't have lowered down a herring with that spin on it. Fun to see the video. Looked as though there were extra kings around too, that never even approached the bait. Got several glimpses, especially in the upper lefthand corner. Get that herring rigged better, and I bet your hookup rate explodes.

You can probably demo it yourself. Rig one the way you been doing it, and try some other riggings alongside it. Here is a very good one to try. My wife couldn't rig a herring to save her life until I showed her how to do this instead of conventional. Only took a couple of trips with me rigging my rod and her continuing to rig her old way for me to sell it. She didn't like the smell of skunk on her rod when mine was tapping out quickly. She tried it and started tapping out too. Now she does all our baiting, and we catch a heck of a lot of kings on her rigs. It's easy and effective.

I'll have to agree with Brown Bear, tighten the roll up too. Wither by playing with the bend or going cutplug. I don't run cuts much as I find they don't last long at the speeds I like. I find it funny tho, you put anything like a spinning herring in the water for blue water fish and they won't touch it. Supposed to be that the rolling herring looks like a wounded bait....Never seen a wounded fish swim in circles like that. They're like women, forget about common sense, give them what they want.

Video of what's happening down there is always cool. Jeff, KodiakCombo has an underwater system with DVR and the whoel works, it's liek sight fishing with riggers. Pretty awesome.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

That is awesome, I tried everything to get em to bite, everything! What would really work is a harpoon mounted on camera! Some days they just dont bite but wait it out, they will.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I find it funny tho, you put anything like a spinning herring in the water for blue water fish and they won't touch it. Supposed to be that the rolling herring looks like a wounded bait....Never seen a wounded fish swim in circles like that.
    No kidding. Last year when I was out in the Gulf Stream my bud wanted to try a double-hook balihoo rig someone had told him about. Could NOT stop the spin and couldn't buy fish. Went back to a single rig, stopped the spin, and we went back to quick knockdowns.

I'm gonna experiment this spring with trolling live black label sized baits.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Great Video Beluga, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I'm gonna experiment this spring with trolling live black label sized baits.
    You're onto something I bet. I've never tried trolling them live, but mooched they're wicked.

Great footage. Interesting to see the bite that got hooked wasn't spinning. I have always wondered about that. We spend so much time trying to get the right bait in the water and make it look real but I have never seen a wild continuously spinning herring. lol. Awesome footage. Thx for posting!!!

Great footage! Thanks for sharing.

But I saw something different. The first 5 or 6 fish swam behind the bait, gave it a thorough examination, didn't hit it. The fish that struck the bait came up from below, never looked at the bait closely, and hammered it. My sense is that the fish that did not strike the bait smelled something suspicious, so they backed off. The fish that stuck failed to use all it's senses (primarily the sense of smell) and ended up getting bonked.

The lesson for me is to make sure your bait smells like fresh bait, including any flashers or divers.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by beluga View Post

Maybe more than you think!
    As these fellas have already covered... try switching up your roll a bit.. this can be done a number of ways. look to me like you were pulling fairly straight, If your around the Huntress we look like were drunk driving, always turning one way or the other, up the bank off the bank ect. when your shaking your tail feathers like that you speed up the out side and just about stall out your inside corner, in return speeding up and slowing down your roll... check your amps to, some time's your charging up your baits to much.. Definitely looks like your on the fish!! Stay with er!!

Sometimes the kings just do that. I've had periods of time where I see them on the sounder chasing me around, but not getting any bites. Then something triggers them to feed, and you pop king after king for a few hours.

I like my herring behind an 11" flasher.

very cool. thanks for sharing.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20