Thread: chisana

Default chisana

Hey folks, back in the 80's my Dad was able to pull a nice ram out of the Chisana area. I was wondering where I could go to find out the land status for that area. I was also wondering if that area is heavily hunted now for sheep. I am not afraid of out hiking the competition as the last sheep hunt I went on, we hiked at least 70 miles when it was all said and done. Would be neat to repeat that trip with my old man and be successful either with sheep or gold.

The man in black hits the area pretty hard. The sheep population is declining in the North Wrangells. There are forum members here who have hunted Chisana glacier. There is a lot of country up there and people hold tight to it like secret garden plots. It may be very useful for you to do some summer exploratories. Develop beta for the region and then figure out areas that might have potential. There are some Hard park areas up there so you have to be careful.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Have to agree with Thomas. I hunted the area in the past (around Blue Lake) and saw a fair number of young rams but nothing legal. There was another party in the area at the same time who had same experience. Seems that any legal rams are harvested once legal in pretty short order. To hunt that area definitely demands due diligence. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    The man in black hits the area pretty hard. The sheep population is declining in the North Wrangells. There are forum members here who have hunted Chisana glacier. There is a lot of country up there and people hold tight to it like secret garden plots. It may be very useful for you to do some summer exploratories. Develop beta for the region and then figure out areas that might have potential. There are some Hard park areas up there so you have to be careful.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have two drainages in mind. Pops never mentioned Pioneer's but it am sure they were around. Unfortunately, I will be on a boat this summer so exploring then won't work.

I have property there and hunted sheep one time back when there was a decent number of sheep. It's been hit hard and the wolves are a problem also, if we can have some mild winters and I can catch a few more wolves it will rebound.

Misinformation is still information......

Good luck this fall!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post

Good luck this fall!
    Very true! Best of luck to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post

Good luck this fall!

Explain...
    I know Terry personally as well as Striker. There is nothing that is specifically incorrect about my post. Do you think they would want anybody else in their area? There are pockets in the North Wrangells that are productive but they take a lot of time and avgas to develop. My pilot is the ONLY guy who will drop anybody off on Chisana glacier into this area. I know the history of the area back to the accounts of Andy Taylor and his booze shacks hidden throughout the mountains.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Explain...
    I know Terry personally as well as Striker. There is nothing that is specifically incorrect about my post. Do you think they would want anybody else in their area? There are pockets in the North Wrangells that are productive but they take a lot of time and avgas to develop. My pilot is the ONLY guy who will drop anybody off on Chisana glacier into this area. I know the history of the area back to the accounts of Andy Taylor and his booze shacks hidden throughout the mountains.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Booze shacks???? You now have my FULL attention!

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Booze shacks???? You now have my FULL attention!
    Me too. Hunted the north wrangles extensively in the 70's and early 80's, love the history of the area. Please tell more.

I could go further but Andy Taylor struck it rich three times during his life and blew it all three times. He had a strange predilection to create stills on both the north side and south side of the Wrangells but he put them at high elevation points that were not in accumulation zones in high hanging valley. He would guide very wealthy clients and make stops where his clients would dig up bottles of brewed beer and in one place whiskey. This was a bit before and during prohibition.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Thanks, Thomas. The area sure had it's share of characters. Bowden,Bones,Anderton,Hickethier,and so forth. Could go on, but must protect the innocent. A good book could be written about the guides and outfitters of the north wrangells

That is interesting, never found any whiskey shacks. Nice bit of history.

I know my Dad mentioned leaving a bottle 151 in an old cabin in exchange for a large fresh cookie he found...I will say it is frustrating that there are people who practically own state and federal land by some how managing to limit the people who can get in and out. I know the pilot from air taxi my Dad flew with out of Northway practically trembled with fear over Terry. I don't know Terry from Adam, but it is hard to think of well of someone who puts that much fear into someone. I can only hope that was an isolated incident and is not a defining characteristic of Terry.

Talking

The Chisana area is void of any of the big boys it use to produce. I would get online and do some AF&G research and you will see what I am talking about.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    907-259-4290

PS...Tell your day thanks, it hit the spot!

Yep, that's the man in black