Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermy Retirement Plan

Default Taxidermy Retirement Plan

Time is getting close when Ill not be able to maintain my current life style. Out of respect for a lifetime of hunting the world I have mounted and or have had mounted every one of gods gifts to my family small and large.

If you haven't had to deal with a loved ones estate .... I do not want to burden them with any of this. They will not want any of this.

I have a call into the ADF&G trooper for there advice. I see the state rules.

If anyone has experience with this selling, estate sale, barter, donating, giving it away????

I had tried the new sporting good stores, they were not interested.

Thanks for your input.
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    Time is getting close when Ill not be able to maintain my current life style. Out of respect for a lifetime of hunting the world I have mounted and or have had mounted every one of gods gifts to my family small and large.

If you haven't had to deal with a loved ones estate .... I do not want to burden them with any of this. They will not want any of this.

I have a call into the ADF&G trooper for there advice. I see the state rules.

If anyone has experience with this selling, estate sale, barter, donating, giving it away????

I had tried the new sporting good stores, they were not interested.

Thanks for your input.
    Louie

Hi Louie,

Taxidermy is such a personal item for folks, isn't it? While the mounts we have hold memories near and dear to us, that sentiment may not pass on to our kin, who might be set to inherit it when the world no longer calls our name.

I know a gentleman who recently passed who had many many such mounts in his house, many, many, many. The kids kept a couple that had meaning and the rest were auctioned, any 'Alaskan' animals were sold with the appropriate 'estate' paperwork.

There is nothing illegal about donating your taxidermy to individuals, organizations or businesses ..That said, it can be difficult to find homes for everything - esp those animals that don't have 'trophy' value or that are very old and need to be remounted.

Barter is against the law, as is selling, while you are still alive and well - as far as I know. This applies only to mounts of big game animals that are hunted in Alaska - You can legally sell mounts of African animals or big game species NOT hunted up here. You can also legally sell mounts of small mammals and upland birds in Alaska. Be aware of laws regarding the sale of waterfowl or federally protected birds - I don't deal with birds at all, so I don't know for sure the legality of selling them as part of an estate, but if I had to bet I would say they are NOT legal to sell. Better to be safe than sorry, at any rate.

I wish you the best in finding homes for your mounts.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Louie, since the sporting goods stores aren't interested, it might be worth contacting some lodge owners.

Hi Julie,

It is NOT OK to sell African or any other countries Big Game animal MOUNTS in Alaska .

As I was told directly from Alaska troopers & Alaska Fish & Game.

Even if they are NONINDIDUOUS to Alaska , Once they are Imported To Alaska they still fall under the same criteria as our Big Game animals .

Big game in Alaska can ONLY be sold by;

1. Estate Auction after obtaining documentation from AKF&W.

2. You are a Licensed Taxidermist that has an outstanding bill that has not been paid on That project. ( BUT it can Not be sold until after the taxidermist petitions the AKF&W for right to sell due to breach of Contract)

3. If you get a DIVORCE. ( Yes this one is Ridiculous but it is what the Board of game accepted)

As mentioned, Small game, Fur bearers & Some birds are legal to Sell , Barter, Trade, or what ever.

You can donate Almost any animal up here, But if it is a CITES 1 animal, you must obtain a permit for transfer of possession or sale from USF&W before it can be moved from where the Animal is on record .

Some species can NOT be transferred to anyone accept a bonded Museum.

ALWAYS< ALWAYS < ALWAYS , check with USF&W & AKF&W Before attempting to sell, Barter, or donate MOUNTED animals in Alaska . Even if they didn't originate from here.

I have dealt with this Several times & although , Yes it is a Pain in the butt, It is the law.

Between my 2 taxidermy studios, here & in Oregon, we get stuck with atleast one animal every year.

Over the last 20 years of business we have accumulated enough stuff to open my own museum. LOL

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    ww.protaxidermy.com
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Hi Julie,

It is NOT OK to sell African or any other countries Big Game animal MOUNTS in Alaska .

As I was told directly from Alaska troopers & Alaska Fish & Game.
    Well, they need to get things straightened out because that is not what I was told.
    Taxidermy IS art!

the regs state that you may not barter, buy, sell, or advertise any big game trophy.
    the regs state that big game is listed as being black bear, brown/grizzly bear, caribou, sitka blacktail deer,elk, mt goat,moose, musk ox, dall sheep, wolf, wolverine

the regs state that a trophy is a mount of a big game animal using the skin of the head or the entire skin, or a european mount (yadda, yadda, yadda)

therefore, I think the state would have a VERY difficult time prosecuting someone for trying to sell any big game mount that was 'non Alaskan' based upon their own description in the regulations.

And like I said above, I have been told exactly the opposite of what was told to RJ... so... the state needs to get their act together.
    Taxidermy IS art!

That is the problem & that is why I do so much checking from so many agencies as to what you can & can not do.

When it comes down to me getting arrested, I want to get the info directly from the people in charge.

most of the guys working the front desk in the Fish & game offices have no clue about what advise they are giving , & if you get in trouble over THIER misinformation , they just deny ever talking about it.

I get the info printed & Signed by the person & it has already helped in a couple of instances when the Badge comes knocking.

My business has been inspected by USF&W, AK Troopers , & Oregon & California State game cops & NEVER have I been issued as much as a warning, let alone a ticket or arrested.

But I keep SUPER good records of what comes in & goes out of my shops & Whom brought it in.

On top of that , I NEVER allow Anything that is questionable or to my knowledge Illegal through my shop doors.

If you just go by someone elses opinion of the way the law reads , it will usually always come back to bite you in the rear, ESPECIALY if you are a Business owner .

I agree wholeheartedly RJ. I have no desire to sell big game mounts, but anyone that does, esp a business, better have their ducks in a row if they plan on selling any type of mount.

And maybe it is time to put a proposal before the BOG to better identify what they deem a big game trophy.

Cheers!
    Taxidermy IS art!

When I first opened my shop Here in Fairbanks I went in to see if I could get a copy of the Alaska Revised Statutes regarding taxidermist & the sale of mounts & animal parts in Alaska from the Troopers.

They questioned me as to WHY I wanted that & when I informed them that as a business owner that handles wild game I wanted to know exactly what I could & could not do.

Unfortunately the Alaska Hunting regulations hand out does have All the info in it.

I did the same with USF&W but all I received was a List of references for statutes to look up on their websites.

Not trying to be a Smart ass here just giving the same advise I tell every body that asks me about these things.

CALL THE ONES THAT WILL BE WRITING THE TICKETS OR LOCKING YOU IN HANDCUFFS.

Instead of trusting the guy that THINKS they know the law.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936

I just WISH we could get our point across to the board of game Julie.

It is just Rediculous to have to jump through So many hoops just to try to get a remaining balance on an account or an abandoned mount.

It is no different than a Towing company selling a car that they towed & have a storage bill against. But They don't have to petition a state agency to recoup what they are out.

& What Is REALLY stupid is, we can sell a Cape, A form , A set of Eyes , or a set of PLASTIC repro sheep antlers, BUT if we Mount all of those items to look like a sheep mount it can NOT be sold.

Even though there is regulations allowing HAND CRAFTED ITEMS can be sold of most all Big game species.

Taxidermy is about as HAND CRAFTED as it comes, but the Board of game doesn't see it that way.

It's my opinion that there is a ton of misinformation in the posts on this thread. I have attended auctions that had many non native species up for bid. I have bought some Alaska animal mounts. I suspect that some of those in charge of the 'rules' who have advice may not be aware of the laws themselves.
    That said, just look at CL. There are mounts and hides for sale on there quite frequently. I doubt the Red Army is beating people's doors down to arrest them for selling a deer head.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I've been given multiple interpretations of regulations by "the badges" too. Sad, but I believe the regulations are so complicated even they can't keep up, what's a person to do?

To the OP, I'd contact zoos and museums, down south, see if you can get them to pay shipping. Might contact extended family and try and get the same deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just WISH we could get our point across to the board of game Julie.

It is just Rediculous to have to jump through So many hoops just to try to get a remaining balance on an account or an abandoned mount.

It is no different than a Towing company selling a car that they towed & have a storage bill against. But They don't have to petition a state agency to recoup what they are out.

& What Is REALLY stupid is, we can sell a Cape, A form , A set of Eyes , or a set of PLASTIC repro sheep antlers, BUT if we Mount all of those items to look like a sheep mount it can NOT be sold.

Even though there is regulations allowing HAND CRAFTED ITEMS can be sold of most all Big game species.

Taxidermy is about as HAND CRAFTED as it comes, but the Board of game doesn't see it that way.
    I agree RJ - and also to the extent that people can hunt up here, take an animal outside, have it mounted, and sell it in their state. Just crazy.
    Or, someone can come to me and say I want a bear rug. I say, I have this black bear hide for sale. Prospective customer buys it, then pays me to rug it. But I can't buy the black bear hide, rug it, and then advertise to sell it. LMAO... it is rather a joke. I don't even know if I would ever be willing to risk selling a hide as just a hide and then rugging it, or mounting it, as who knows how the state would interpret the business transaction. Just not worth the headache.

Oh - and how do they say a wolverine and wolf are both fur bearers (if trapped) and big game animals (if shot during hunting season). another joke.
    RJ - I am not a member of the NTA (yet - new business and all)...do you think the NTA or AK NTA reps up here could write up something to the BOG regarding getting this cluster of laws and regulations clarified a little better?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It's my opinion that there is a ton of misinformation in the posts on this thread. I have attended auctions that had many non native species up for bid. I have bought some Alaska animal mounts. I suspect that some of those in charge of the 'rules' who have advice may not be aware of the laws themselves.
    That said, just look at CL. There are mounts and hides for sale on there quite frequently. I doubt the Red Army is beating people's doors down to arrest them for selling a deer head.
    Well, it could be you or the seller of those Alaskan mounts got very lucky. As a business owner, I am not willing to risk things like that. And does that make it ok for an individual to sell their ak big game mount, while a taxidermist would get the roto rooter treatment? LOL...
    Taxidermy IS art!

Juli,

You don't have to be an NTA (or UTA) member to submit a proposal to the BOG. There's also no special requirement to join those Taxidermist organizations (other than submitting an application).

I have testified before the BOG in the past in opposition to a Taxidermy business "record keeping and inspection" proposal by the AKST that was up for consideration (proposal was ultimately not implemented by the BOG).

You can submit a proposal to the BOG. If it makes it to their agenda, it's definitely helpful if you attend the meeting in person and sign up for a 5-minute slot to defend your proposal and answer questions. It's actually a pretty interesting process.

I agree 100 % Lonewolf.

If we don't get involved & actually take the EASY steps to testify in front of the board as Many of us have, Our opinions & Ideas will be overlooked or not ever brought to the boards attention.

All you have to do is your homework & have your facts straight when you testify so you will be taken seriously.

In my opinion, NTA, UTA are a waist of time when it comes to Hunting issues Especially here in Alaska because there are so few members of those groups up here.

This issue will only get changed if WE the taxidermists of this state get together & complain & come up with Proposals to give the board .

But if only a small handful like you guys & I do it there will be less intrest in changing things as they are.

I would be more than happy to help with anything I can do .

I already have my testimony printed & ready for the board meeting.

You MUST get on the agenda to testify before the board meeting.

Food for thought.

Smokeross,

Just because someone advertises something for sale or something is sold & they don't get a ticket for it doesn't mean it was a LEGAL SALE.

You don't see the after effect when USF&W & AK Troopers are standing on his door step asking questions long after the sale was over.

Some of these investigations go on for years, then they come in & bust Everyone involved.

Don't know about you but I would rather NOT be one of those unlucky fellers.

On Taxidermy.net there is a Long list of post describing exactly what I am talking about.

Thanks Lone wolf and RJ. I understand that as individuals we can go to bog meetings and make proposals and comments, and that is in my list to do.

What I think might be more effective is to get together as many interested taxidermists as possible and determine some specific items that need to be addressed. It would be great to have a well thought plan.
    RJ, if you don't mind I'd like to take a look at your proposal or get info on what you are looking to achieve.
    Juli.f.wolter@gmail.com
    Taxidermy IS art!

RJ,

Werent you going to try to pull together a state Taxidermy association a year or so ago?

Hugh
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Smokeross,

Just because someone advertises something for sale or something is sold & they don't get a ticket for it doesn't mean it was a LEGAL SALE.

You don't see the after effect when USF&W & AK Troopers are standing on his door step asking questions long after the sale was over.

Some of these investigations go on for years, then they come in & bust Everyone involved.

Don't know about you but I would rather NOT be one of those unlucky fellers.

On Taxidermy.net there is a Long list of post describing exactly what I am talking about.
    I'm confident that Alaska Auction Company knew what they were doing when they sold me 2 goat heads and a sheep head at auction. I paid less for them than you would expect to pay for a raw cape.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Ya Hugh,

A REAL Alaskan Taxidermy association.

But after talking to several Licensed taxidermist around the state , I found out how UNINTERESTED most of them are.

They want changes as long as Someone else does all the work.

Then MAYBE they would join an association.

Not worth waisting my time & effort. Sort of like the NTA. LOL

RJ Simington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast