Thread: Cat scratch fever!!!

Default Cat scratch fever!!!

Man, I don't know what it is with me and lynx and coyotes, but I have pretty decent success calling them in, but I suck at finishing the job. Today I found an area that had a lot of lynx tracks and I set a couple snares and decided to make a stand to call one in. I drove my machine a few hundred yards away from where I had seen the tracks. Set the caller in the middle of a nice wide opening upwind from my position. The snow machine was on the trail about 20 or 30 yards behind me. The caller and decoy was about 75 yards upwind from me and about 100 yards from the snow machine. I started the caller. Sat for about 15 minutes. Looked to my right and behind my shoulder about 5 o'clock, there was the lynx. He didn't see me, but he started walking up the trail towards my snow machine. He got about 20 yards from my machine and stopped. I had to turn my neck as far as I could to the right to see him. He was right in the wide open, standing 50 yards away (I used my rangefinder afterwards to check). He sat there for 10 minutes. First he would look at the caller, then he would look at the snow machine. Then he would look at the caller, and then he would look at the snow machine again. Hindsight, looking back, I wish I would have taken the shot, but it would have been a left-handed shot. I have never shot left-handed before so I opted to wait to see what he would do. After about ten minutes, which seemed like an eternity, he walked back in the direction he came from. I was hoping he was going to circle around and come in to the caller from the other direction, but no dice. Oh well, another lesson learned. Maybe I'll catch him in some of my snares.

**** I wish I had that problem!

I am thinking you need someone watching the back door when your calling, that's always been my issue. I hunt alone and a lot of critters come in on me outside my field of view.

Wow at least you saw one, considering how lean the numbers should be this year that's a great start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That gives me hope. Awesome share

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    I am thinking you need someone watching the back door when your calling, that's always been my issue. I hunt alone and a lot of critters come in on me outside my field of view.
    That's exactly the same thing my 9 year old son said as soon as I got home. He was mad I didn't bring him along. I told him maybe next time.

If that happens again, stand up and reposition yourself. I had to do that on my first lynx. I shot twice from under the tree I was hiding under, but I concealed myself far too well and was shooting through spruce boughs that were deflecting my bullets. The cat just sat down and watched me, so I stood up, moved five yards to the left, sat back down and took another shot that found its mark. I've had lynx that were skittish come in, but in my limited experience, the term "curiosity killed the cat" applies quite well to lynx.

Once when I was checking a trap line I saw some very fresh lynx tracks (it was still snowing quite hard and they were less than minutes old). I passed them by to check a wolf trap down the trail a ways. When I came back the lynx darted in front of me into a thicket of very young alder. I made a large loop around and went into the thicket and sat down. I began mouse squeaking (with my lips) very quietly. Within ten minutes the cat appeared (out of thin air, it seemed) less than 25 ft away. His eyes were huge and he was crouched down ready to make the final 'pounce' when I saw him. I don't have any idea even how long he had been there. LOL The .22 pistol did the trick, right between his eyes. I was elated, to say the least. I never thought I would see that cat again, because it had surely seen me as we crossed paths....Lots of fun. Good luck next time Jack!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Once when I was checking a trap line I saw some very fresh lynx tracks (it was still snowing quite hard and they were less than minutes old). I passed them by to check a wolf trap down the trail a ways. When I came back the lynx darted in front of me into a thicket of very young alder. I made a large loop around and went into the thicket and sat down. I began mouse squeaking (with my lips) very quietly. Within ten minutes the cat appeared (out of thin air, it seemed) less than 25 ft away. His eyes were huge and he was crouched down ready to make the final 'pounce' when I saw him. I don't have any idea even how long he had been there. LOL The .22 pistol did the trick, right between his eyes. I was elated, to say the least. I never thought I would see that cat again, because it had surely seen me as we crossed paths....Lots of fun. Good luck next time Jack!
    That's awesome, what a cool experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If that happens again, stand up and reposition yourself. I had to do that on my first lynx. I shot twice from under the tree I was hiding under, but I concealed myself far too well and was shooting through spruce boughs that were deflecting my bullets. The cat just sat down and watched me, so I stood up, moved five yards to the left, sat back down and took another shot that found its mark. I've had lynx that were skittish come in, but in my limited experience, the term "curiosity killed the cat" applies quite well to lynx.
    If I could do it over again, I probably would do exactly what you are saying. Either that or try to shoot left-handed. I've never tried a left-handed shot, but when I got home I tried to hold my rifle in the position for a left-handed shot and it didn't feel as awkward as I thought it would. I was so close to the cat that I was afraid that if I moved to reposition, he would spook. I figured that if I was patient enough, eventually it would move into my shooting lane for a shot. But, sometimes patience doesn't pay off. I would say 9 times out of ten, most of the mistakes I have made while hunting usually pertain to impatience. Usually this is the case, but in this case I should have taken a chance and improvised. Oh well, you win some, and you lose some.

The first time I ever used my fox pro I called in a lynx. I actually had stood up to leave and looked behind me and he was sitting there maybe 20 yards away. I pulled up my rifle and he just sat there like a dog sits and let me take the shot. The important lesson learned was to make sure to look all around before I stand up and to look again once I stand up.

I've only called in one lynx. He slinked in really slow and then sat down about 15 yards in front of me. I was with a buddy. Sadly we were just calling for fun - not hunting. He stared at us for what seemed like an eternity. it was probably 3 to 5 minutes. After a while we decided to see what would happen and we got up on our knees and started moving around a bit. He watched us for 10 more seconds or longer after we were moving and then decided to leave just as slow and quiet as he came in. He knew we were there from the moment he sat down. We had plenty of time to shoot even after we started moving around. I went back to that spot and the surrounding area three more times with my bow once and a rifle twice. Never called in another one!

Quote Originally Posted by MNnowAK View Post
    The first time I ever used my fox pro I called in a lynx. I actually had stood up to leave and looked behind me and he was sitting there maybe 20 yards away. I pulled up my rifle and he just sat there like a dog sits and let me take the shot. The important lesson learned was to make sure to look all around before I stand up and to look again once I stand up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    I've only called in one lynx. He slinked in really slow and then sat down about 15 yards in front of me. I was with a buddy. Sadly we were just calling for fun - not hunting. He stared at us for what seemed like an eternity. it was probably 3 to 5 minutes. After a while we decided to see what would happen and we got up on our knees and started moving around a bit. He watched us for 10 more seconds or longer after we were moving and then decided to leave just as slow and quiet as he came in. He knew we were there from the moment he sat down. We had plenty of time to shoot even after we started moving around. I went back to that spot and the surrounding area three more times with my bow once and a rifle twice. Never called in another one!
    You guys are killing me! If I could only go back in time. Oh well.