Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wasilla?

Default wasilla?

I am thinking about wasilla
    is there good hunting?
    fishing?
    where can you drive ATV/snow machine and where cant you and is it the same for most of alaska
    ATVs on roads in pa is a big no no even if you are going to work at the farmer who lives 2 miles down the road I am still very bitter
    is it mainly a bear area or is there a little bit of everything there.
    thanks

Wasilla spelled backwards = Allisaw. No you cant ride atvs on the road. There is very little hunting left , lots of private property. Some lakes have good fishing, salmon have been a bust the last few years. It's windy and really dusty all the time, there's usually no snow, and theres alot of drugs and crime. Watch AK state troopers. You probably wouldn't like it there. Plus if you get a job in anchorage, be prepared to fight LA style commute traffic. If your looking for the land of opportunity and living off the land and building yourself a cabin in the woods, this ain't the place. 25 years ago you had a chance. No more.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Wasilla spelled backwards = Allisaw. No you cant ride atvs on the road. There is very little hunting left , lots of private property. Some lakes have good fishing, salmon have been a bust the last few years. It's windy and really dusty all the time, there's usually no snow, and theres alot of drugs and crime. Watch AK state troopers. You probably wouldn't like it there. Plus if you get a job in anchorage, be prepared to fight LA style commute traffic. If your looking for the land of opportunity and living off the land and building yourself a cabin in the woods, this ain't the place. 25 years ago you had a chance. No more.
    Is fairbanks better then?

These are some pretty wild questions. You've got to do some research man. Get a visit tour guide book at the library or bookstore or something.

Watch Into The Wild then come visit before you decide to move here.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    Is fairbanks better then?
    Not really. Too hot to work in summer. And it never gets dark, you go insane because you cant sleep. And Then the bark beetles ally themselves with the giant swarms of vicious mosquitoes and descend upon the townspeople like an airborne army of destruction. You cant escape thier wrath. Then in winter it's dark almost all the time and -30 below or colder, hardly any snow most years. And there are crazy people around them parts. Ever watch " Deliverance"? I don't visit there much.

Release Lake Trout

Man, I wonder why some people who live here still do, given how negatively they view the area.

Personally, I don't love Wasilla, but it's a growing area and a diligent young person should be able to find work. The same could be said of Fairbanks. Access to hunting, fishing, and ATV riding is about the same in both areas - you generally need to get a ways out of town to find these (with the exception of ATV riding - not legal on the roads, but plenty of trails all over road system Alaska). If you're basing your destination on hunting and fishing, it's a matter of priorities - Wasilla is closer to salmon fishing and ocean options, while Fairbanks has better access to grayling, pike, etc. For hunting, it's a matter of getting away from town. Both provide moose hunting near town, but you'll be hard pressed to find solitude or any real chance of finding a legal bull without putting on some miles.

Personally, I would choose Wasilla (or better yet, Palmer) due to the milder weather and access to the mountains, but in both places you need to be prepared to put some serious miles on the road and then on your feet to find good hunting and fishing.

I don't visit there much.
    A small blessing for which we're thankful.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    A small blessing for which we're thankful.
    LMAO I'm just scared of you and Vince

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, I wonder why some people who live here still do, given how negatively they view the area.

The one(s) doing all the complaining don't live in Alaska, they live in Anchoragua, can't get too far away from them cell towers and drive thru's don'tcha know!

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    The one(s) doing all the complaining don't live in Alaska, they live in Anchoragua, can't get too far away from them cell towers and drive thru's don'tcha know!

Big lake is nice. But not during the early morning commute to work. Sure wish they'd get that bridge built. Id be moving back to the place immediately.

Release Lake Trout

I live 30 miles east of Fairbanks and mostly love it, but it's definitely not for everybody. I know some folks who moved up from Homer over the summer and are having a very tough time so are moving back, and this has been an extremely mild winter so far. Winters are cold and dark and very long, but it's easy to get to the river or to the hills, the trail system is awesome, and without too much effort you can have a very nice stretch of river or an entire pond to yourself and not see a soul. But, do your research before moving up, come visit in January, and know what you're getting into.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

mlshore - that's some sage advice!!! It's best to dip one's toes in that water before jumping in with both feet.

Not really. Too hot to work in summer. And it never gets dark, you go insane because you cant sleep. And Then the bark beetles ally themselves with the giant swarms of vicious mosquitoes and descend upon the townspeople like an airborne army of destruction. You cant escape thier wrath. Then in winter it's dark almost all the time and -30 below or colder, hardly any snow most years. And there are crazy people around them parts. Ever watch " Deliverance"? I don't visit there much.
    cmon now no one got a good chuckle out of this? Bunch of super serious guys. Tough crowd.

Release Lake Trout

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

cmon now no one got a good chuckle out of this? Bunch of super serious guys. Tough crowd.
    Hey Kyle, I have to admit, I snickered a bit. Truth is funnier than fiction!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hey Kyle, I have to admit, I snickered a bit. Truth is funnier than fiction!!
    Whos Kyle?

Release Lake Trout

Whos Kyle?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Ketchikan would be my last choice in SE, for anything....Unless it was a quest for the nastiest town in SE....Then it would be my only stop.
    Mmm, hmm.

I prefer Ketchikan over Wasilla, if you like saltwater.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Mmm, hmm.

I prefer Ketchikan over Wasilla, if you like saltwater.
    Mhmmmm....
    I take it you've not spent much time in Ketchikan, it's pretty much like Wasilla, with a better view.
    Personally, I'd choose POW or Elfin, if'n I had my druthers.

Nastiest town in SE? heehee, If you're complaining about Ktn, then you haven't left Anchoragua. I like Ketchikan, but I like most places. Why do you knock it? I *think* HuntFAK is jokingly trying to keep competition out of our great state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast