Thread: BLM Land ? / private land

Default BLM Land ? / private land

hello, i plan on moving to AK in the next couple of years and would like to know more about BLM regs and such
    i have hunted Colorado BLM and no ATVs off the trail or on a trail marked as a non ATV trail is this the same in Alaska
    Are there trespass fees on private land
    what types of game are located around the Fairbanks area.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    hello, i plan on moving to AK in the next couple of years and would like to know more about BLM regs and such
    i have hunted Colorado BLM and no ATVs off the trail or on a trail marked as a non ATV trail is this the same in Alaska
    Are there trespass fees on private land
    what types of game are located around the Fairbanks area.
    Thanks in advance
    Private land is much less an issue in Alaska than in other states, as the vast majority of hunting takes place on public land. I can't speak to BLM land in general, but at least in areas they have regulations similar to what you noted - designated ATV trails with regulations pertaining to their off-trail use (the Tangle Lakes Archeological District, as an example). In some areas you will run into Native corporation lands which are technically private lands with their own set of rules (some require access fees, some prohibit hunting all together), but again, most hunting takes place on public land. Very, very few people hunt personally held private lands with a few exceptions (bison in Delta Junction being one).

State lands are open to motorized vehicles unless expressly closed.

Federal lands are closed to motorized vehicles unless expressly open.

BLM addresses comprehensive travel and transportation management through a land use planning process that produces area specific Resource Management Plans (RMPs). Each RMP considers existing and proposed access needs, and identify Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) area designations for the entire planning area. The three types of OHV designations are:

• OPEN - Use of motorized vehicles is unrestricted
    • LIMITED - Motorized vehicle use and activites have limitations identified
    • CLOSED - Use of motorized vehicles is prohibited year round

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/akcttm.print.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
    State lands are open to motorized vehicles unless expressly closed.
    Drive to preserve, though, ak47. Even general state land has laws about ATV use, under 11 AAC 96.020 and 96.025. No more than 1500lbs curb weight, no ground disturbance, no water degradation, take your trash home with you, etc.

If I move up I will make sure to take my trash home I absolutely hate when people litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk