Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Plane Help

Default Float Plane Help

I'm starting on my cabin project this year and need help bringing in some supplies. I have a very Remote Parcel on the Kakhonak Lake, where there are no roads, no access, only by float plane. I plan on cutting trees and setting the foundation this year. I have all the equipment and supplies, just need your help in getting it there........Please PM me if you wish to help....Much Appreciated!!!!
    And Happy New Year to everyone.
    A few from the shore........

Beautiful lake. That's a lot you are asking for. You might start checking with the commercial operators on cost and start saving your money.

Wonderful country, I've flown over it a couple times. Ice development is so slow this winter you might need floats even for a winter visit. Good luck.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Might look into a snow machine from Kakhonak once you get all your suppose there. Just don't leave it unattended. Can be windy out there. Wait for the lake to freeze and pull everything from the village. Or get your supplies hauled over at Williamsport and then snow machine them over. Either way it is not an easy or inexpensive undertaking. There are several places for sale over there, may look at the cost of buying an already built place versus what it would cost to get everything hauled in and built.

I was actually thinking about sometime in June-September time period.
    Here is the Westward and Eastward looking views from shore..........surely someone with Floats would like to help.....

If you have money I am sure someone would have the time. Your best bet is to save up your coins and find the largest capacity on floats that has the shortest flight time and take out the max load. Good Luck

Iliamna Air is the closest charter with floats I think. You would need to ship stuff to Iliamna.
    14 Days to Alaska

I was thinking of using Iliamna Air, but how do you get your supplies and equipment over to Iliamna......cheaply?

Nothing is cheap in the bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    I was thinking of using Iliamna Air, but how do you get your supplies and equipment over to Iliamna......cheaply?
    cheaply? No, but the guys I know who have property over in that area fly equipment in to Illiamna on Northern Air Cargo, then shuttle gear with smaller planes.

If I were you, I'd look up Beluga Air out of Homer (headouttheplane on this forum), and see what he'd charge. He has a nice Beaver on floats and can haul quite a load. The Beaver is not cheap to operate though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From Homer might be more economical if you have a way to get the stuff there.
    14 Days to Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    If you have money I am sure someone would have the time. Your best bet is to save up your coins and find the largest capacity on floats that has the shortest flight time and take out the max load. Good Luck
    Hopefully there is someone local that has a twin Otter.
    You can take a ton of materials out in one of those.

An Otter would be Awesome! One trip for everything.

Is there a barge service that runs over to Williamsport? That might be one of the cheapest options, but I'm not well-versed on that situation.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Jeff, I know that your place over on the lake is beautiful and serene .BUT BUT I think that you need to look at the situation for what it is.It is so remote from where you live do you have the finances to put it all in place and then you must think about the cost every time that you go there.You could easily be looking at a grand or more for every round trip there. You would always be restricted to plane access. If you had your own plane then it would be in the realm of possibilities . I have a cabin that is about 40 miles off of the road system with boat or snowmachine access and I know how hard and expensive that is. This is your dream and I don't want to rain on your parade but if you are asking for a free ride to start on this dream I see a lot of heart ache in your future. Good luck.

I agree with Big Bend. I have a cabin by Kakhonak and the cheapest avenue for us for supplies is to barge it. I'm almost certain the barge cannot get up to your Lake. You may be able to drag supplies in by snowmachine in the winter but even this could be iffy.
    Flying has a another set of problems. The wind on Kakhonak Lake are turbulent and often violent. Not a nice place to fly.
    Best of Luck.

I have already accessed the expenses, so I have a good ideal on costs. Just wanted to know IF anyone wanted to help..........
    With 2 Beaver loads, I can get all the materials, equipment and supplies there for the entire build. I have that set aside, SO REMOTE is IN.........
    I already know the weather and the area. Not a factor, you just go when it's good.
    And once built, a grand to get there/back to enjoy paradise is a moot point.

Can a person with just a private pilot license and insurance do this?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They can as long as they are not compensated in any fashion. And if two Beaver loads will do it that is not a very big structure.

A beaver has a useful payload of about 2100lbs. What size place are you building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast