Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes ttsx/tsx .375 Ruger

Default Barnes ttsx/tsx .375 Ruger

Hey, I bought myself a Ruger Alaskan caliber .375 Ruger. I want to use Barnes 270 TXS or 250 TTSX bullets, In the Barnes manual the ttxs was not mentioned and only 2 gunpowder types on the TSX bullet. wonder if there is anyone who can help me with reloading data on these two bullets please.

TJ
    Norway

I just emailed a forum member friend that shoots/reloads Barnes in his 375 Ruger. You should hear from him soon......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest76 View Post
    Hey, I bought myself a Ruger Alaskan caliber .375 Ruger. I want to use Barnes 270 TXS or 250 TTSX bullets, In the Barnes manual the ttxs was not mentioned and only 2 gunpowder types on the TSX bullet. wonder if there is anyone who can help me with reloading data on these two bullets please.

TJ
    Norway
    I shoot the 250 out of my H&H, when I called Barnes about the lack of data they emailed me some and noted that cup and core data is fine to use also. Start low and work up and you'll be fine. My most accurate load was mid charge, anything above that started to open up. I managed .75 MOA with them and I've repeated it several times.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/informa...data/data-375/

http://www.imrpowder.com

http://www.realguns.com/loads/375Ruger.htm

http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Here's a few to start getting load data comparisons

Beware steves pages this seems to be very generic data that may or may not have been tested, his max charges are always hot hot and I usually do not get near them. Also he is assuming lead not copper so the charges will be more compressed and with higher back pressure.

Good luck and be safe

Ps these are not to be used without reference to an actual loading manual for your caliber/bullet/powder/gun combination.

I have shot the 270g TSX out of two different Ruger Alaskans and they both were lights accurate to about an inch pushing just over 2650fps. Reloader 15 seated to SAMII specs, new brass. I don't have the reload data in front of me, but it was right out of the Barnes manual within a grain of max load I think. The Barnes book has a lot more data than online. Of course, start lower work up, blah blah blah. I have substituted Varget for RL 15 and had very close to the same charge weight, if not the same result. So, if you find data for RL15, you might be able to substitute with Varget if you start at the mid range of the load data. Just my own observations, so again, blah blah blah....

I have played a little with the 250g TTSX and RL15. The velocity was about the same as the 270g for me, so why bother. I just started messing with RL17 and there is absolutely no data to be had there. So far, things are encouraging. I have a load that has not shown pressure signs and is pretty accurate, although not as accurate as the 270g TSX yet. My chrony broke, so I am not sure of the velocity for the 250's and RL17, but the point of impact at 100yrds was about 3 inched higher than the 270g TSX and RL15. Again my data in not in front of me. I feel comfortable posting my starting load for RL17 and will when I get home.

I like the idea of the 250 TTSX. It stretches out my point blank range if I can get a couple hundred FPS more out of the bullet compared to the 270 TSX. 250g going over 30-06 velocities will kill with authority and make a nice big exit hole. My favorite. The Ruger Alaskan is a nice handy and durable rifle. I really like it, even the houge stock. As stated on other posts, get the trigger redone, they are about 45 pounds of pull. Mine is right at 3 pounds now and breaks much nicer than before. I put a bigger handle on the bolt, but I am not sure if it was worth it. Midwayusa has a good selection of Barnes bullets for the 375 right now if you can't find stuff in town. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest76 View Post

TJ
    Norway
    Attachment 82535This from the Barnes Number 4 Manual. Same data should be fine with the 250 TTSX.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks everyone, going to order RL-15 powder.

wish I had seen this earlier. I did up a load with the 270 tsx with 82gr of rl 17. moving just a touch over 2900 out of a 23 inch barell

In preparing for an African hunt I worked up loads for 5 different 375's looking for the most accurate load. I ended up using H4350 in a M70 stainless 375 AI with 270 TSX. One shot kills on lion and Kudu. Accuracy was less (significantly less) than MOA. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Gotta love that big 'ole hollow point on the 270 TSX.

Kinda says "we don't need no steenkin' plastic tip!"

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Gotta love that big 'ole hollow point on the 270 TSX.

Kinda says "we don't need no steenkin' plastic tip!"
    I remember when Barnes first added a plastic tipped bullet to their product line... Randy stated flat out in a published interview that the only reason they did it was because a certain percentage of the consumer market believed that a quality bullet had to have a plastic tip, no other reason. He stated at the time that there was absolutely no performance difference between their plastic tipped bullet and the untipped version.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Magazine damage

Problem in my .416 with the 350 TTSX is that after the first round any rounds in the magazine get whacked and the tip deforms anyhow. So I just run one fancy 350TTSX for my first round followed by a few 300g regulars in TSX. I'm also loading with RL15.

Sounds like an epic African hunt. Good for you!

That 270 grain Tripple Shock at 2,650 fps mv has to be a great choice for that caliber and I would look no further for a big .375 load. H4350 or RL 15 gets the nod from me. All that plastic tip and boat tail stuff is of no practical benefit to a big game hunter and the plastic tip can break off in a magazine. I loaded some 80 grain TTSX for a .243 and a tip fell off when cycling the action, go figure. Reminds me of half of the fancy fishing stuff I see, a bunch of it is designed to catch fisherman.

The .375 250 TTSX has a BC of .424, the 300 is .357 and the 270 is .326. While this may not mean much to someone on a dangerous game hunt it certainly means something to someone using a .375 as an all around rifle. In particular it means you can make the gun shoot as flat as an '06 and throw a much heavier bullet.

My AR and my H&H both shoot TTSX very accurately, as a bonus the boat tail makes them super easy to load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some barnes bullets I shot into a stack of magazines at about 40yrds. 375 Ruger African Rifle. Used H4350 for all loads. 300gr./79.5grs., 270gr./82.5grs., 250gr./82.5grs. & the 260 partition 82.5grs. I don't know why the 300 didn't expand more, I'm thinking it was the angle it hit. But they all did what they were suppose to do.
    The 1st bullet is the Barnes 300tsx (299.3grs.)
    2nd bullet is the Barnes 270tsx (248.6grs.)
    3rd bullet is the Barnes 250ttsx (247.3grs.)
    4th bullet is the Nosler Partition 260gr. (175.4grs.)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWilliam View Post
    Here's some barnes bullets I shot into a stack of magazines at about 40yrds. 375 Ruger African Rifle. Used H4350 for all loads. 300gr./79.5grs., 270gr./82.5grs., 250gr./82.5grs. & the 260 partition 82.5grs. I don't know why the 300 didn't expand more, I'm thinking it was the angle it hit. But they all did what they were suppose to do.
    The 1st bullet is the Barnes 300tsx (299.3grs.)
    2nd bullet is the Barnes 270tsx (248.6grs.)
    3rd bullet is the Barnes 250ttsx (247.3grs.)
    4th bullet is the Nosler Partition 260gr. (175.4grs.)

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing! Just goes to show, whatever premium your gun shoots best will work just fine!

I am curious if the .375 Ruger in something like their "guide gun" kills on one end and maims on the other (recoil) or if it is similar to the "push" of a .375 H & H.

There is a thread or two discussing that in the shooting forum in the past year or so.

IMO it doesn't kick to bad. You can say it's a push. I wouldn't want to shoot a bunch off the bench though. And you can definitely tell the difference between a 300gr and a 250gr.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    There is a thread or two discussing that in the shooting forum in the past year or so.

Thanks. I will search for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast