Thread: ATV Rifle for Summer rides.

Default ATV Rifle for Summer rides.

DSCN3496.jpgDSCN3501.jpgI thought some of you Guy's might like to see my new ATV rifle that will be traveling in my gun boot this coming Summer. It is a Big Horn Armoury Mod 89 in 500 S&W. The rifle is all stainless and the stock is one of the 1st they made in Laminated Walnut. She goes about 8 lbs with the 18" Bbl and holds 7 Rds in the Tublar Mag. The serial # is 177. I haven't had it over the Crony yet but should get a 1700 to 1800 FPS with a 500 gr Bullet. The rear sight is similar to the one used on the Old Mod 71 Winchester.

Larry

Great looking rifle! Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Nice! Have you thought about putting a large loop lever on it? If you need to shoot with gloves on it could make it a little easier. It will be interesting to see what your shooting reports come back like.

Bearcat,

I did give it some thought, but would have to have one made since the rifle is a scaled down 1886 action. The lever has more room in it than it would appear. You could wear thin gloves unless your hands a really big. I will shoot it in May when the range conditions are a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by t-w-t View Post
    DSCN3496.jpgDSCN3501.jpgI thought some of you Guy's might like to see my new ATV rifle that will be traveling in my gun boot this coming Summer. It is a Big Horn Armoury Mod 89 in 500 S&W. The rifle is all stainless and the stock is one of the 1st they made in Laminated Walnut. She goes about 8 lbs with the 18" Bbl and holds 7 Rds in the Tublar Mag. The serial # is 177. I haven't had it over the Crony yet but should get a 1700 to 1800 FPS with a 500 gr Bullet. The rear sight is similar to the one used on the Old Mod 71 Winchester.

Larry
    I like it...!!!

I noticed you said it will reside in your gun boot. I have a gun boot too, but with the way it's designed to be mounted, I really don't like how the gun isn't really that easily accessible when you are actually on the wheeler. I'd actually like to change mine somehow so I can grab the rifle quickly while riding if need be. I have yet to buy a gun rack for the front because I'd still like to utilize the boot. Was wondering how you will have your gun boot mounted?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I ride a polaras 850 so the options would be a rack or in the mounted boot. I expect it be the latter. My chest holstered 460 will hve to take care of any events tha arise while I am on the machine. I mostly had it in mind for use when dismounted and my wife is Panning in the creeks or rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I like it...!!!

I noticed you said it will reside in your gun boot. I have a gun boot too, but with the way it's designed to be mounted, I really don't like how the gun isn't really that easily accessible when you are actually on the wheeler. I'd actually like to change mine somehow so I can grab the rifle quickly while riding if need be. I have yet to buy a gun rack for the front because I'd still like to utilize the boot. Was wondering how you will have your gun boot mounted?
    Ease of access is a big consideration with me on my wheelers since I am often in difficult riding situations in brown bear country. I mounted my gun case facing backwards on the box of my 6 wheeler (left side). I haul a shortened Marlin .444 that Gator Guns built for me, or my 22" barrel Marlin '45-70. Both guns are the old school version with no extra safety bs on them. The way the boot is mounted, the butt is pointed somewhat upwards. When I get off the beach where I may be hauling butt,and into the mud where I am going slower, I take the removable part of the boot off, leaving the butt sticking out. I can easily reach back with my right hand and draw the Marlin out in one fluid motion.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Ease of access is a big consideration with me on my wheelers since I am often in difficult riding situations in brown bear country.
    Exactly. I always think about a high school buddy of mine that was moose hunting back behind my old house in Kasilof. He said it was pretty much dark and they were heading out on the wheelers. Said he came around a bend in the trail and there stood a sow with a couple cubs not a hundred yards away. Pretty scary.....

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    When I get off the beach where I may be hauling butt,and into the mud where I am going slower, I take the removable part of the boot off, leaving the butt sticking out. I can easily reach back with my right hand and draw the Marlin out in one fluid motion.
    That sounds like a good idea. I've never put the removable butt part on as it is.....figured that's for long trips anyway. I'll have to take mine off and play with it a bit to see what I can come up with.

Thanks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Why not have the BEST?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'd be proud to carry it any time or year, wheeler or not!

Very nice rifle!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Wow that looks nice, I like the looks of that rear sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice lookin boom stick. I have to admit, I feel a twinge of jealousy.

I'm using a Y type gun rack mount on the handle bars...boot got to be too hard. If it's snow or raining or others dirty things are happening I use a plastic gun sleeve that I cut one side out of and I sewed elastic and velcro on the bottom to keep it together and closed and it is easy to rip off if I need the gun quickly...otherwise it's clean and dry. I usually carry a Rossi 92 in 45LC or a Guide Gun.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Looks like a perfect "old smoke pole" for a ATV rifle. I have a customized Marlin 1895 45-70 that is carried around more then my other center fire rifles and often is in the boot on the ATV. I like knowing it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Looks like a perfect "old smoke pole" for a ATV rifle. I have a customized Marlin 1895 45-70 that is carried around more then my other center fire rifles and often is in the boot on the ATV. I like knowing it is there.
    I had Gator Guns cut down a .444 for me years ago before Marlin came out with the guide gun. I had him shorten it to 18 1/2. He had one of his own that he cut at 16" and I just didn't like the look of it. That rifle has been hauled on several wheelers and on the snow machine. It sure is handy. The .45-70 is still at 22".
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.