Thread: Best shelter mods

Default Best shelter mods

With the popularity of the hub style shelters by brands like Eskimo and Clam, what are some of the best modifications or add ons that you have seen/invented? So far I've only added an LED light bar and a battery powered ceiling fan. I'm thinking about the possibility of installing a Woodstove jack and building a small stove for more serious trips.

Last edited by AKmud; 01-01-2015 at 11:33.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

lights, fan,gear hooks,,,single post table.,,polytarp n carpet floor,much warmer,no slippen around,gear stays dry. now a bigger sled....

What's the benefit of a ceiling fan?
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSweetPete View Post
    What's the benefit of a ceiling fan?
    Just helps circulate the warm air. I first used one when I had my hard side shelter. My upper body was always warm while my feet would get cold. The ceiling fan pretty much cured that problem.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I tried carpet and it worked awsome but I quit using it after it left a bunch of fiber stuck to the ice. I was using outdoor carpet. Any sugetions on a better carpet or rug type.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    I tried carpet and it worked awsome but I quit using it after it left a bunch of fiber stuck to the ice. I was using outdoor carpet. Any sugetions on a better carpet or rug type.
    I tried using the foam work out mats that they sell at wal mart they worked ok. Homedepot sells recycled rubber tiles that are about 12x12" and 1/2" thick I think there made for decks. but I cut one in half and use those to put my feet on, keeps em off the ice

Default Clam

Best shelter mod was returning my fatfish 9416i today and getting the clam 1660 mag thermal way better quality and better layout.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

You have to put down pollytarp or plastic.then carpet ....6x8...rolls up easy ,.they make a rubberbacked carpet,need to see how tight it rolls when cold.....SO MUCH WARMER.....AND NO SLIP ,,GEAR STAYS DRY....FEET STAY WARMER WITH FAN.....