Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bair baiting north of Fairbanks

Default Bair baiting north of Fairbanks

Im new to bear baiting and was just wondering if anybody knows of a good area north of Fairbanks. Not expecting anybody to give away their area just looking for a good starting point. Also I know grizzlies are being able to be taken from black bear baiting stations this year. Are there alot of Browns in that area? Thank you!

Take a run up the Steese or Elliott on a saturday night in late May or early June. When you find a pull out without a vehicle parked, try there. The further you get from town, the fewer hunters you'll find.

You can't go wrong with either highway. Good luck to ya!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Hey I apreciate it. I was planning on going up the elliott about 30 miles

Do you see alot of grizzleys at your stations. And do the bears start coming to your stations right away in april or usually later in spring.

Since nobody else is chiming in... you're bound to find grizz anywhere. If grizz is your target species try cruising some trails and looking for, specifically, grizz tracks and set nearby. They do tend to wander though.
    From my experience, most baits start getting hit in mid to late May and they're in full swing by 2nd week of June.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by jwald5628 View Post
    Hey I apreciate it. I was planning on going up the elliott about 30 miles
    Every G I Joe ever stationed hunts up that way, and yes I was one of them. Plus 30 miles won't get you away from cabins. You have to be a mile from any cabin or home.

I would look at hunting on the Yukon Training Area north of the Airbase, lots of bears up that way and not as many hunters as you will find on the Elliot, if you must go north drive up near the Yukon and make it a long hunt and not try to hunt nights and drive back and worth. I have done it and it was both brutal, and unsuccessful, there is a stand anyplace you can park and along about every trail.

Good luck, the bears will get active mid May or so, if you bait every make sure to block the barrel with large heavy sticks or you will just be feeding the birds, moose and squirrels.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Fairbanks Creeks & US Creek roads

Go up the Steese to Fairbanks Creek or even farther up the Steese to the US Creek roads.

Good population of bears if you bait in the right spots.

You Will have to have a Quad because there are Trails for several miles on each road.

Anouther place would be Colorado Creek trail on the Elliot. Head towards the White mountains.

I am SURE there will be folks out there but the area is large enough for everyone.

Also Every Spring there are problem Bears showing up around Salcha , So Johnson road would be a GREAT area. Get way up top & drop off into the small canyons. Pretty Thick but LOTS of Bears, bothy Grizz & Black

A LOT of guys bate every year out here in STANDARD Creek road or Bonanza Creek road. A few grizz but mostly Black Bears. These you can drive in a car or pickup just be aware there will be a LOT of traffic.

Hope this helps a little.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Anouther place we had several Grizz visit was down stream on the Chataniqa on the Elliot.

Saw Several Wolf from the stands too.

RJ Simington

Ive also been thinking of going up Johnson Rd behind Eielson or out the Parks Hwy around Bonanza creek Rd or the Old Nenana rd.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by jwald5628 View Post
    Ive also been thinking of going up Johnson Rd behind Eielson or out the Parks Hwy around Bonanza creek Rd or the Old Nenana rd.
    Johnson Rd is unbelievably over saturated with bait stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Johnson Rd is unbelievably over saturated with bait stations.
    I'd slightly disagree with that, per WR bio's/DNR there were not many registered the past few years and very FEW black bears taken. If I remember correctly there were only two taken in the spring of 13'.

Additionally, all baits have to be 1/2 mile apart and you must have GPS coordinates to register a bait site and you have to do it in person. My issue with that is they won't tell you where the other baits are, so you go and find a site, go in and register only to find out someone is within a 1/2 mile. Too many hoops to jump through for me, but for others it's a decent option close to home.

I'd bet this year there will be many more baits out there due to being able to bait grizzly bears.

Just my $.02

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    I'd slightly disagree with that, per WR bio's/DNR there were not many registered the past few years and very FEW black bears taken. If I remember correctly there were only two taken in the spring of 13'.

Additionally, all baits have to be 1/2 mile apart and you must have GPS coordinates to register a bait site and you have to do it in person. My issue with that is they won't tell you where the other baits are, so you go and find a site, go in and register only to find out someone is within a 1/2 mile. Too many hoops to jump through for me, but for others it's a decent option close to home.

I'd bet this year there will be many more baits out there due to being able to bait grizzly bears.

Just my $.02
    Just speaking from experience.

I am not here to argue or negate someone's advice/experience. I was simply mentioning what I found out while talking with the WR Bio's/DNR (whatever you'd like to call them) about bait stations, their numbers and overall harvest stats in the YTA for the past 4 years. I'd guess there are far more baits in the Bonanza creek Rd or the Old Nenana rd area that the OP mentioned than back in the YTA.

Personally, I wouldn't bait anywhere near FBX and it was easy for me to rule out Johnson Rd and other areas in close proximity to town. There were over 900 baits registered in 20B last spring by June 1st. Not my cup of tea...

You do not have to provide GPS location for bait stations in 20B, so lack of GPS coordinates wouldn't mean anything

matty ren,

You have to provide GPS coordinates in the YTA.

Nick,

Gotcha, thanks.

So I went up the steese yesterday in the jeep looking around and one of the trails I went on had a game cam on the trail like they were trying to see who is driving up and down there and it wasn't posted or anything . Where can I find I list of land owners and has anyone had any luck in that burn area up there Or do bears like the thick cover

Quote Originally Posted by uh60baldwin View Post
    So I went up the steese yesterday ... Where can I find I list of land owners
    Within the FNSB, you can look up ownership on the FNSB GIS website. Outside the borough, you can get ownership info from the folks at the public lands info desk at the BLM Northern District Office on University Ave.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Anywhere within a 100 + miles north of Fairbanks gets hammered with bait stations. There will probably be more this year since all the military people will be back home and you can shoot a grizzly. Not like it use to be!!!!!

But even though the military guys are back doesn't meen all of them are residents & can hunt Grizz without a guide.

Just saying.

I was getting Fire wood in Standard creek last year & ran into a Trooper that I know & he said that there are over 25 baits that they know of in Standard creek area.

Like 450 says, you will have to go a LONG way out to be able to get away from the crowds , just like Moose & Caribou hunting. Even in a Jet boat, Canoe or Airboat.

STILL, Any day hunting is better than sitting in the shop wishing I was out in the field.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast