Thread: salt dried game meat ?

Default salt dried game meat ?

I'm reading a book by Hornaday about hunting in the early 1900's and came across a part in the book where he describes cutting a 8"Wx4"Thick by as long as you can get piece of "ham" from wild game and then packing it in a salt spice mixture and letting it hang for a month - says it is one of the best ways of preserving meat.

Has anyone tried this method of drying meat?

Itís one of myfavorite ways to preserve meat. I mostly use pork, I would take the meat rub itwith course black pepper, salt and sodium nitrate (to preserve it) then hang itin my garage. Temps varied but we would make it in the fall/winter in NY. Itwill come out somewhat like prosciutto. I have used beef and it is good to. Both turn out with awesome flavor,just a bit salty on the outside.

I've eaten some, never made any, the samples I'v had were way, way to salty for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I'm reading a book by Hornaday about hunting in the early 1900's and came across a part in the book where he describes cutting a 8"Wx4"Thick by as long as you can get piece of "ham" from wild game and then packing it in a salt spice mixture and letting it hang for a month - says it is one of the best ways of preserving meat.

Has anyone tried this method of drying meat?
    I've done this with wild hogs. It is salty.

I'd like to try it with bear and that was my plan if I had of shot a bear.
    I also plan on trying it with next years moose (if I am lucky enough to get one).

Would it be okay to try with bear? I always cook my bear to or past 160 to kill tricho.

Would it be okay to try with bear? I always cook my bear to or past 160 to kill tricho.
    Of course it ok, what the worst that could happen to you or your family..... getting trichinosis?

I have no idea. I do know that I would cook the "ham". Bear and pig are both similar in dangers of not caring for the meat.
    If I try it, I'll let you know if we survive

If you salt cure your Pork you need to soak it a couple times [change water each time] in the previous 24 hours pryer to eating.
    That much salt could really mess you up.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...&hsimp=yhs-001

Sounds a lot like Biltong. Its a big thing in Africa. Peter Capstick (read if you havent) swears by it!