Thread: Chitina access

Default Chitina access

We were down there dipnetting on Tuesday- not a great day for fish, but was able to make it past the tunnel on bikes and did see 4 wheeler tracks- not quite sure how they did it but I did see the tracks. The first slide is a bad one but certainly can make it past on foot (carried my bike and take the upper "trail" if you do go) and the rest of the slides weren't quite as bad. On one corner the road was washed out and we had to climb down and back up the other side and had to carry the bikes across most of the slides but could ride past others. One of the guys at Hem's Charter said that a group had tried the bike thing and then was picked up by the boat- said it was to hard to go back across the slides- we cut 15 minutes off our return trip. My group consisted of my 2 12yo sons and my 15 yo son so if we can do it then others should be able to make it too (my husband took the charter with the gear). We were also told to expect it to only get worse next year-YIKES!! Good luck to all who goes.

Default trail past o'brien cr

How far past o'brien creek can you get with a 4wheeler with out risking life and limb?

Default safe distance

The first large and not safe slide is the first new one. It is past the original slide that closed the road, past the second slide from a year ago (it could be 2 years) around the corner and down the hill and there it is. That is were I saw several 4 wheelers parked-and bikes.

Thanks for the report, how do you get your fish out on bikes, in back packs or do you strap to the bike and push along?

I heard it was about a mile past O' Brien Creek. Is this correct?

Default getting fish out

I got to ride out just like I rode in- my husband took the charter, so he took the fish and all the gear. The slide is about a mile after O'Brien creek.

Mark

I heard a rumor today that some Russian guys went to work with shovels on the slides, and that somebody had gotten a wheeler to the tunnel.

That is why I'm waiting to late JUL or early AUG to dip Chitina figure there will be a path by then :-)

My dad just came back and he said they were able to take the atv all the way to the tunnel with out a problem now. There was a single stretch of road where the wheeler was going at an angle but it was not an issue once a person started leaning to the opposite side.

On the way back though, having a cooler full of fish had raised the center of gravity and made it impossible for the loaded wheeler to pass over the same stretch of road. Him and his friend had to carry the cooler themselves for about 70-90ft after which they loaded the cooler back on the 4-wheeler and headed back to the truck with out any problems.

In the end he pointed out that carrying the BIG white cooler, the one you can get at Sams, full of fish (60) for so long was too much work.

Unless filleted 60 fish will not fit in big white cooler. Thanks for the report! I think I will take my small cargo sled to pull cooler with wheeler, then line the sled accross the slide with a person behind it with a rope this should solve the center of gravity issue.