Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun for a woman

Default Handgun for a woman

The ol lady is carrying a Ruger LC9 in her vehicle. Neither of us like the gun. Plan on selling it.
    What do you all recommend for a woman with big hands? The trigger on the Ruger is awful IMO. Prefer a semi that can be carried in a purse and has a good trigger.
    Thanks!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The ol lady is carrying a Ruger LC9 in her vehicle. Neither of us like the gun. Plan on selling it.
    What do you all recommend for a woman with big hands? The trigger on the Ruger is awful IMO. Prefer a semi that can be carried in a purse and has a good trigger.
    Thanks!
    My wife carries the kahr CW9. It's light, decent trigger, she has smallish hands and it fits her well. The sights are not bad. Easy to get used to.

Release Lake Trout

I just bought a Glock 42 for my wife and it fits her hands good. Decent trigger and love the sights. It fits my hand decent. Haven't taken it to the range yet but will report when I do.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Sig p239. With the short trigger and SRT shoots with ease. Get it in .40, and for another $150 you can get the 9mm barrel kit too.

Walther PPS, not PPK or PPQ, the PPS. In 9mm. Single stack, shoots like a laser. Very light.

My wife just got two handguns, a Ruger LCR in 38spl and a Springfield XDS in 45 auto. She likes the light weight and the easy trigger pull on the LCR and the fact that it carries very well in a front jeans pocket. She shoots the XDS much better. You can get extra grip length with a mag finger extension that then fits large hands very well. You can also get extended mags ( 7 rds instead of 5) with a slide on grip extension as well. It shoots and points quite well and it comes in 40 or 9mm as well. I have carried it some and shot it 200/300rds with 0 malfunctions.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Walther PPS, not PPK or PPQ, the PPS. In 9mm. Single stack, shoots like a laser. Very light.
    How about a Walther PK380? It's larger than the crop of 380s in the Ruger LCP class.

I don't have one so all I can do is wonder. It has good reviews.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Beretta M21a
    Walther PPK/S
    Colt Mustang
    S&W 442
    Colt Detective Special

If this is a personal protection piece for your wife, I would suggest one of the Glock Single Stacks ( Model 36 or others) in 45 ACP.

When 7 rounds doesn't get the job done, you or she must have been in the wrong place at that time.Virtually 100% reliable...a very manageable trigger...no manual safeties to worry about...and a proven fight/threat stopper cartridge.

Don't send a boy to do a man's job.

Just to add one more to the pot, my wife carries a Glock 26 in her purse. She went through a whole laundry list of pistols trying to find the right one for her. M&P compacts, Sig P238, XD's, Etc, etc. She finally settled on the G26. If I read right, you said your wife has large hands? I wouldn't steer toward a pocket pistol as they will be too small. Depending on how much weight she's willing to tote in the purse, a medium framed semi might be better. Something in the Glock 19/23, the new Sig P320, Ruger SR9/40 compact, XD 9/40 compact, etc. Something not quite full sized, but not pocket pistol either. They'll run a little heavier, so she may not want that weight in the purse. But a polymer framed pistol will help reduce the weight in the larger size. If she's recoil sensitive at all, a heavier gun is better.

ETA: I forgot, if you can spend some coin, there's always the Kimber Solo.

My wife is partial to Glock 19's. However, I would be very careful carrying any semi-auto (safety or not) in a purse that is not designed to carry a handgun. I am completely against purse carry, but my wife says that's the only way she'll do it, so I relent. I am really adverse to placing a firearm in public in any place other than on my body.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My wife is partial to Glock 19's. However, I would be very careful carrying any semi-auto (safety or not) in a purse that is not designed to carry a handgun. I am completely against purse carry, but my wife says that's the only way she'll do it, so I relent. I am really adverse to placing a firearm in public in any place other than on my body.
    Good Point. I never thought of that.

I can see how just being dumped into a purse could mess something up, and a purse isn't always with most ladies. They sometimes put them down someplace where they could be accessed by someone else.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Good Point. I never thought of that.

I can see how just being dumped into a purse could mess something up, and a purse isn't always with most ladies. They sometimes put them down someplace where they could be accessed by someone else.

SOTN
    Case in point: a woman in Idaho was just killed in Walmart because she had her pistol in her purse and her toddler reached in and grabbed it and pulled the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Case in point: a woman in Idaho was just killed in Walmart because she had her pistol in her purse and her toddler reached in and grabbed it and pulled the trigger.
    What a tragedy. And something to think about when we urge our wives to CC.

Something like that should be mentioned in CC classes.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I don't know of many OTHER options for the ladies to CC, than in her purse, which would seem to be the only one in some instances.

The purse designed for it may not match the outfit.

The ladies have a lot of problems, and we aren't the cause of them all, Surely, not ALL.

Smitty of the North.
    You can't out-give God.

Purse carry...or ANY carry...involves a modicum of intelligence.

Two things the world will never be able to fix: stupid and broke.

She was carrying the gun in a purse designed for concealed carry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...m-at-wal-mart/

My wife loves her gp100 in 357. She shoots better with it then she did with her 1911.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Coronado Leather makes great concealed carry purses with the compartment separate from where the change purse/credit cards are kept. I strongly advise looking into them. I have purchased them for lady friends and they work well. Their concealed carry vests/jackets are super well made and I have 2 of them.
    Gun wise- the S&W Shield, or a Glock slimmed down by Texas True Bore Customs is a great choice as well. My wife likes a 9mm M&P- it just fits her well and she shoots it well. Hope y'all find a gun that suits her needs.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    She was carrying the gun in a purse designed for concealed carry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...m-at-wal-mart/
    Thanks for the Link, slimm:

What I get from the story, is that EVEN the most knowledgeable people can be subject to ACCIDENTS. And, and it's not fair to play the Blame Game.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast