Thread: Cordova in the mid-sixties

Default Cordova in the mid-sixties

I lived in Cordova '64-'66; while I was there learned to fly in a Cessna 140. I have visited a couple of times since, one of which was by private plane. I'm writing my story for my kids and, while during some research, found this site. Through some posts from 2010 regarding bush flying, I see some folks on the site who flew around Cordova in the '50 & '60. Monguse talked about knowing Tom Parker. I also knew Tom. He helped me out of scrapes with my plane a couple of times. A few years ago, I was sadden to learn that Tom had died in a mid-air.

I'd be interested in making contact with anyone who has an interest in swapping stories about flying and living in Alaska during that time, especially people with knowledgable about the areas of Cordova, Cooper River and the coastal areas in general, plus up into the interior around Gulkana and the Chitna Valley and McCarthy and the people who lived and flew those areas.

[QUOTE=Ragwing140;1448457]I lived in Cordova '64-'66; while I was there learned to fly in a Cessna 140. I have visited a couple of times since, one of which was by private plane. I'm writing my story for my kids and, while during some research, found this site. Through some posts from 2010 regarding bush flying, I see some folks on the site who flew around Cordova in the '50 & '60. Monguse talked about knowing Tom Parker. I also knew Tom. He helped me out of scrapes with my plane a couple of times. A few years ago, I was sadden to learn that Tom had died in a mid-air.

I'd be interested in making contact with anyone who has an interest in swapping stories about flying and living in Alaska during that time, especially people with knowledgable about the areas of Cordova, Cooper River and the coastal areas in general, plus up into the interior around Gulkana and the Chitna Valley and McCarthy and the people who lived and flew those areas.[/QUOTEI

I'm sending you a PM. I worked with Merle K. "Mudhole" Smith's Cordova Airlines​ in the mid-fifties.