Thread: Fishing times.

Default Fishing times.

I have fished up here my whole life but never really perfected hard water fishing. In the summer months the time of day really matters but Iím not sure about winter. Iím targeting trout and my question is, is it best to fish early in the morning or towards the end of the day as opposed to mid-day or does it really matter in the winter?

Always heard early bite but for me that's summer because after fish see a bunch of lures they turn off.but in winter I think bite turns on as light starts to go down fish are a little warmer from day light.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Its been my experience ice fishing that transition time between at sunset, and sunrise (about an hour before and after each event) is a great time to target fish. I have overnighted on several differnet frozen lakes - I have generally noted the bite is much more productive during daylight hours.

Productivitiy of catching I am sure is relative to depth, temp, and also species specific (for instance burbot feed primarliy at night and move to shallow feeding areas when it gets dark).

Maybe I just have not caught more fish at night because i normally am ice fishing during the day? Never seen my catch rate for trout increase for certain when I had fished at night.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Hard to say on trout but many species seem to become particularly more active during dawn/dusk. Open water I observe either no difference or less activity in the dark but I'd chalk that up to lowered efficiency when I can't see my line, cast etc.

Something I have observed repeatedly up here that I never saw elsewhere was pike bites during dawn and dusk. When I lived in the midwest, pike sets during the day became walleye sets after dark and even open water I can count on one hand with two fingers missing, the number of pike I've caught after sunset, and this is with lots of nighttime hardwater and open water fishing.

However, when pike fishing in Bristol Bay I would experience one hour hot bites at dawn and dusk (largely dusk because I rarely fished dawn) through the ice that were 4 times more productive than the comfortable afternoon I had just spent sitting on the ice, drinkin cocoa, chasing the dog, drillin holes....and catchin little or chasing missed flags. Then at dusk, BAM, it was on, nearly every bite was a hooked fish and I could ice a limit in an hour after maybe one on the ice all afternoon. And, I caught several that were full on after dark (those times I brought the right equipment to continue fishing past dusk)

Many of the hardcore laker and inland trout fishers in the UP of Michigan were fervent dawn and dusk fisherman, they felt they behaved much like walleye and the results I saw backed that up.

It depends on the species you are targeting, time of year, weather patterns, and their forage. Normally the first two hours and the last two hours are best for MOST species. The past few trips I've had good action mid day, but there was a weather front moving in on those trips. Last year I did a three night trip for Arctic char and we had vicious feeding frenzies from 11:00 pm-3:00 am.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Bourbot ,Whitefish.Pike,Char, do well at night up here short days...rainbow.Trout 1hr. before 1hr,after.sunrise sunset always best for me...still trying to figure out them landlocked kings.....

I find fishing is best at dawn. Dusk is the second best.
    Sometimes they bite well all day but given a choice the above times would be my choice for trout and landlocked salmon/Kokanee
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Do you guys who night fish char use light down the hole or glow jigs? I've only caught burbot at night Ice fishing. Usually all the other fish stop biting.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Do you guys who night fish char use light down the hole or glow jigs? I've only caught burbot at night Ice fishing. Usually all the other fish stop biting.
    Once it gets dark I start using my glow jigs and plastics for char. The key is to keep a good sent trail going. I'll throw little pieces of shrimp or eggs down the hole every ten minutes or so to keep the schools interested. Char and landlocked kings can see much better at dark than most think. I was watching them come flying in and hammer my BB split shot in the dark at 2:30 am on my flasher.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks so much for all the replys! I was fishing under the assumption that morning was better so that confirms it. Sometimes, night fishing would be better but not that often so I think we will just keep on the same morning routine. Thanks again!

Caught 2 lake trout this weekend in the middle of the night on rattle reels

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.