Thread: Game meat bacon (w/pics and instructions)

Default Game meat bacon (w/pics and instructions)

I received a variety of products from Frisco spices http://www.friscospices.com/ Included was the spices to make ground and reshaped bacon from ground meat so Im making a couple batches of the hickory bacon.

http://www.friscospices.com/p-337-hickory-bacon-cure.aspx

Each packet makes 10 pounds of bacon so I am making 10 pounds of goose bacon and 2, 10 pound batches of venison bacon.
    The instructions on that packet are pretty straight forward. Mix 5 pounds of goose, duck, deer, elk, moose, bear, etc with 5 pounds of fatty pork or Frisco's course ground pork jowl.

The first batch is venison and pork. The second batch is goose and pork. Im using some pork jowl that I cubed up as well as some of the ground jowl from Friso Spices. The pic below is with the deep purple goose meat on the right.

Im using a 3/8 grinder plate.

The instructions don't mention mixing the spices with a little water but I find I get more even distribution of spices and avoid over-spiced areas buy adding a bit of water. In this case I use 1/3 cup of cold water.

The spices/water and the meat prior to cranking the mixer.

After 10 minutes of mixing. Lots of mixing is required to bind the meat and spices/cure so it holds together when its sliced and fried.

For consistent shape/thickness I using a 9 x 13 cake pan and an 8 x 8 pan lined with waxed freezer paper. I don't like to place salted/cured meat against metal and the paper makes it easier to remover the meat from the pan. The 10 pound batch fills both pans nicely.

Then all 30 pounds of bacon are punched down to remove any air pockets and then covered with plastic wrap and placed in the cooler overnight to cure and take shape.

The next morning I preheat the smoker to 110F and place the pan shaped "slabs" of bacon on racks for smoking.

The first hour and a half will preheat the meat without smoke. The smoker vents will be full open.
    Then I increase the temp to 120F and add some large chunk hickory to the fire box and close the vents half way and smoke for 3 hours.

The temp is increased to 150F for a couple more hours and then the temp is increased to 170F until the internal temp of the meat reaches 140F. The meat takes on a deep smokey amber look.

The meat is removed from the smoker and allowed to cool to room temperature and then removed to the cooler.

After a night in the cooler, its time to slice it up and fry to check out the grinds, distribution and flavor.

Both the goose and venison bacon are a smash hit. Perfectly seasoned and just enough hickory smoke. I can see a lot of BLT sammies in my future.

The bacon is then packaged in slightly less than 1 pound packages using the home butcher's favorite tool, a vacuum sealer.

The total reward for my efforts.

Frisco Spices Hickory Bacon seasoning is a real winner. Its a great way to use trimmings from any number of species of game animals. If you have a grinder and smoker, give it a try.

That looks great. I'm going to have to try it. I frequently make buckboard bacon from pork shoulder so this should not be much more work.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Very nice, what kind of slicer did you use to get those commercial looking cuts.

Excellent detail, I do believe I need to try this. I don't know about getting pork jowl in Juneau so do you think pork shoulder would work as well?

I slice by hand with a very long and sharp knife. Yes pork should will work fine and its what I used up until this year.

Free samples looks great. I will have to try it.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
    I slice by hand with a very long and sharp knife. Yes pork should will work fine and its what I used up until this year.
    THen next should come your knife sharpening tutorial.....very nice work, I'da guessed a commercial style slicer the way that stuff looks.

Thanks for sharing, I see an attempt of this in my future. Happy New Year Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

This really soundsgreatbut my attempt at ordering the seasoning failed........I just couldn't get through to......They wanted to $80+to ship a few packages......UPS only and international shipping and other reasons.....I thought Alaska had gotten over that hurdle once Sarah got the public to realize AK is in the USA.

So.....if anyone has friends in the Omaha area, and perhaps they would fill a Flat Rate box and drop at USPS.........we could all be eating moose bacon soon.

My brother in law made some up with some Blacktail deer the exact same way. He gave me 6 vacuums packs like yours and It was fantastic! My 8 year old begged to eat it for breakfast everyday. I could only hold him off for so long. It is a new family favorite and will be making it yearly now. We had it on BLT's, in breakfast sandwiches, on burgers, in a pasta dish, plain with eggs and just hot right off the BBQ. All were great! Thanks for sharing once again with one of your excellent tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    This really soundsgreatbut my attempt at ordering the seasoning failed........I just couldn't get through to......They wanted to $80+to ship a few packages......UPS only and international shipping and other reasons.....I thought Alaska had gotten over that hurdle once Sarah got the public to realize AK is in the USA.

So.....if anyone has friends in the Omaha area, and perhaps they would fill a Flat Rate box and drop at USPS.........we could all be eating moose bacon soon.
    You can try this one Vern http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...Kit/715289.uts

This is happening next weekend! Thanks for sharing!!! You just filled my bacon void