Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Back in the saddle

A cook out on a remote beach sounds like something worth working towards. I guess I have some catching up to do, but I do believe we just might make this happen one day.

Flor AKA "the Boss, Spouse, Banker,, Etc....is taking her first lesson in a Super Cub tomorrow,,, Winning.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    A cook out on a remote beach sounds like something worth working towards. I guess I have some catching up to do, but I do believe we just might make this happen one day.

Flor AKA "the Boss, Spouse, Banker,, Etc....is taking her first lesson in a Super Cub tomorrow,,, Winning.
    Excellent!...

Nice, I am really jealous! I have failed in getting my wife to even take an introductory flight. I really would like her to take lessons at least to the point of solo so she has a better understanding of what needs to be done in an emergency situation... one day maybe!

Dont rush anything and make sure you are ready, but once you get comfortable with some mild off airport stuff and get a plane, then fly the wings off of it. I am at 420 hours now with 70 hours in the new cub, and starting to get the hang of it. I learn something new every single time I fly! Thats part of what makes it so much fun!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I hear ya on the slow and steady approach.

Flor just got home from flying tail wheel for her first time, she has flown 3 times now with different schools. I told her it takes time and a few tries to find a school with the right combo of plane and instructor. She was so excited after her flight today,, she is hooked!!! Her learning to fly and being able to enjoy a new plane as well will be a win, win.. I hope she lets me fly HER new plane.

Only issue is she is so short she has a hard time reaching the pedals, brakes and seeing over the console. She is 5ft 1inch. Anyone ever use a booster pad??
    Founding Member

She is 5ft 1inch. Anyone ever use a booster pad??
    My mother is 5'0" and uses a large foam pad underneath her and another behind her back. She's been flying a 172 for close to 30 years now. Works well for her.

Default Back in the saddle

Try a boat float cushion behind her to get a couple inches closer to the pedals. The cub isn't too hard to see over when you're short once the tail is up. As a student, you really want to see everything but the visibility is pretty good compared to other planes for shorter people. If her feet still aren't close enough for the pedals, there are some extensions you can weld up. Get her in the plane with different cushions and find what makes her comfortable. Ability to comfortably apply rudder and brakes is key.

Curious where you found a good cub instructor and plane in town ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post
    Try a boat float cushion behind her to get a couple inches closer to the pedals. The cub isn't too hard to see over when you're short once the tail is up. As a student, you really want to see everything but the visibility is pretty good compared to other planes for shorter people. If her feet still aren't close enough for the pedals, there are some extensions you can weld up. Get her in the plane with different cushions and find what makes her comfortable. Ability to comfortably apply rudder and brakes is key.

Curious where you found a good cub instructor and plane in town ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Wife is flying cubs in the L48, I could not find any cub training in Fairbanks. I'm flying a Citatria with Tom at Proflite.
    Founding Member

My nice is 5'3" and used a booster pad all the time. Works great and really helps when you are a new student. Whatever it takes to make it work for her.
    DENNY

Not a done deal, but getting closer.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...medical-reform
    Founding Member

Not a done deal, but getting closer.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...medical-reform
    Cool beans!

Well.. Basic Med finally got approved. I received my medical today and can start to look for a plane. Over the last few years I have continued to train. Got my Tailwheel rating, Float rating and have flown Citabrias, Legend Cubs, wore out Super Cubs, J3 on floats and a Super Cub on floats. Closer to the dream, but still have work to do.

Founding Member

Excellent! Way to stay after it, Steve!

Man that was a long road! I am really looking forward to following your progress now!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345