Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle

The last info I can find says that the FAA will announce their decision Sometime between now and March,, I'm not holding my breath.
    The FAA made their decision several months ago. It was handed off and approved by DOT. Now it's in OMB (Office of Management and Budget) for final review. That's who we're waiting on. I've got skin in the game. I AM holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The FAA made their decision several months ago. It was handed off and approved by DOT. Now it's in OMB (Office of Management and Budget) for final review. That's who we're waiting on. I've got skin in the game. I AM holding my breath.
    Thanks for the info,, your insight is much appreciated as always.

Was able to find this....

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...l-relief-limbo
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

79 landings, 8.9 hours of TW time, getting better everyday.

Had a life's lesson Saturday, when I creeped up on the left brake during rollout, that will get the blood pumping 😃

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21421376415.895086.jpg
    Founding Member

Life lessons that cause no damage are valuable beyond measure. I've done the same thing in the 170 on take off. My feet have to be part of my checklist. What I find interesting is the physical checklist I'm building, the same as I do for when I shoot my bow. My shot process starts w/ my feet, so does my flying checklist.
    What kind of helmet is that in the picture? I'm thinking pretty hard that helmets are at or near the top of my list along w/ a 406 ELT.
    Keep at it, every hour is one more closer to your goal. Perfect practice makes perfect,
    ARR

I'd like to hear about the helmet as well. I don't have one yet, but figure that it would be a wise investment as I move towards off-airport work.

Had my best day yet!!! Perfect conditions today and I was dialed in, I needed today after my bounce-a-thon yesterday.

AAR, I'm developing that short final mental check list as well, I start wiggling my toes and shake my tail just a bit to remind myself to stay loose and keep those "happy feet" I make sure my heels are on the floor. As I get tense I tend to creep up on the pedals and get the stiff legs.

Simply magic when she squeaks in with the perfect 3 point or she sticks like glue on a wheelie.

The thing that had me chasing rabbits was I had wheel landings down but we would transition into a take off and not come to full stop, on my last landing that day when I was rolling out I relaxed on the stick and did not bring the tail down quickly enough, that and a little left brake creep and she was heading off the runway in a hot second!!!

The helmet is a protec,, I dremeled out the liner just a touch so that my David Clark's fit inside, easy to do and I got this idea off the Super Cub forum, very light weight and cheap enough. Most flight helmets are made for helicopters and are heavy, weight is a factor for both gross weight and you don't need that extra weight driving your head forward in a crash. I used a couple zip ties to hold the headset in place after I got both fitted, so far have over 10 hours with it and no hot stops so far.

There is a good thread on mods for protec's on the Super Cub forum. Some have used the special ops type with the rails and added the ear pieces to those. A few links for those items.

http://www.protechelmet.com/products.asp?cat=14

adapters to use the rail style helmet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301440326936...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Link to the navy ground crew helmets, I have seen these made to work as well, would need to swap the electronics over to GA style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251757272292...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steve
    Founding Member

Pro Tec. The illusion of safety.

Here's the latest on the 3rd Class Medical Reform:http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...l-reform-delay

Heard it was handed off OMB months ago , but doesn't look like they have done anything with it yet.

From the AOPA Comments on the article:
    The current DOT schedule has the following dates:

To OST (office of the secretary): 7/24/14
    To OMB (office of mgmt and budget): 1/26/15

OMB Clearance: 4/27/15
    Publication Date: 5/5/15
    End of Comment Period: 7/5/15

(this is about a 6 month slip from the original DOT schedule)

There are two separate efforts going on, one is the formal FAA rule-making process and the other is the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act working through Congress, which if passed would effectively force the FAA to eliminate the 3rd Class Medical for planes up to 6 place/6,000 gross. I am just glad to see both Congress members and AOPA still pushing the bureaucracy to keep the process moving, however slow. Seems like there is enough pressure for them to have to do something, I'd be happy to have a 4-place/3,000lb limit.

I'm in the same boat as Stid, just wanted to get started flying and I'll see later if I can upgrade from my J-3 or just keep it. I'm at about 13hrs all in the cub, and getting landings down! It's awesome.

I went with the DC K-10 helmet, not a crash helmet either but fits the DC headsets well and should provide some protection from glancing blows off the spar or tubing. I have shoulder harnesses too, and a second helmet for a passenger.

Don't take it wrong, I have a ProTec, too. I just don't think much of it as a crash helmet. I light duty bump helmet is a better description.

Enjoying this conversation, I'm learning on my Taylorcraft in Fairbanks, have just about all of my required hours in for private.. Lesson learned yesterday when I was coming in on skis on ski strip, with the sun in your eyes with nothing but white on the ground, it's nearly impossible to judge where your at. At least for me..now that was a bounce, next time it's a go around or two until the sun is set.

eddie ricter

Less than 1% of Americans are pilots and of those that are less than 1% are tailwheel pilots, today I joined the 1% that fly tailwheel aircraft. As of today I'm a current and tailwheel qualified pilot. Could not of had a better day to complete my training. Now to continue and get my type training in Super Cubs. Thanks to my lovely bride and friends and family for all the support. Now for some football,, go Seahawks!!!!!
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERicter View Post
    Enjoying this conversation, I'm learning on my Taylorcraft in Fairbanks, have just about all of my required hours in for private.. Lesson learned yesterday when I was coming in on skis on ski strip, with the sun in your eyes with nothing but white on the ground, it's nearly impossible to judge where your at. At least for me..now that was a bounce, next time it's a go around or two until the sun is set.

eddie ricter
    I can only imagine how hard it would be with flat light,, be safe and stay at it.

Steve
    Founding Member

There is alot of talk on these forums about trading in and selling planes in order to upgrade. I have seen planes sit for sale for a long time, but people talk like its selling a box of 45 cal ammo on alaskas list (ie quick turn around at a profit or at least breaking even). Is the sale part of the upgrade really that easy?

Sounds great, Steve! On my end, I just bought a set of lightly used 31" tires today. Super excited for this summer's learning!

Congrats Stid, good job, I just did my first solo yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Congrats Stid, good job, I just did my first solo yesterday.

I can still remember my first solo like it was yesterday, I did my flight training training in Hawaii, my instructor and I were doing touch and goes at Ford Island. We landed and he ask me to taxi over to the terminal, he opened the door and said give me 3 good ones. I remember as I made my radio calls and taxied out that my mouth was dry, I lined up and firewalled the throttle on that little 152. It leaped into the air without the extra 200lbs, as I turned crosswind I looked down and could see the USS Arizona as she lay in her watery grave. I could not help but think about all the pilots that had landed at that small runway during WWII. I remember that my knuckles were white from my death grip on the yoke and how much power that little 152 had with only me on a cool, calm October morning.

BQad, stick to it fly straight and be safe Sir.

Steve
    Founding Member

First solo was exciting. Yesterday was the first real solo for the whole flight, felt great! Time to start building hours!

Will try to stay safe, you do the same.

Of the six aircraft I have owned and sold they always went fast. Other issues aside, like damage, corrosion, etc., I think that if a reasonable price is asked it goes a long ways toward a quick sale. Which is probably no revelation!

Start my Cub training this Sunday in Hickory North Carolina, need 5 hours in type for insurance and hope to get that done in the coming weeks. Then start off airport flying this spring. I have very much enjoyed it so far, now I need to find a stable to park her in.
    Founding Member

Congrats! Who are you training with in NC? I have been wanting to get some time in a cub, but I don't fit in them very well at 6'3"!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast