Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle

Default Back in the saddle

After a much too long break, I've got the bug to fly again. Almost done with my tailwheel endorsement, then plan on seeking out cub training. Any advice for training options for Super Cub training in state would be welcomed. I'm interested in off airport training, was thinking of taking a ski class this spring and possible other options. Went and flew a CC Carbon Cub and was WOWed, as an older pilot I'm progressing slowly and want as much dual training as I can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDAl...yqwqxw144okw0k

Getting my TW training in this baby,, been great training in an acrobatic aircraft.

My next challenge.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good for you...! I hear nothing but positive about Jay Baldwin located at Wolf Lake. youflyalaska.com

Try Acme Cub Training at Lake Hood. http://acmecub.blogspot.com

Thanks gentlemen,, had a good day today. Feeling more and more comfortable everyday. I remember what I have been missing today,, 5 planes in the pattern, 152, 2 each 172s, a Cirus, and a GPS approach twin engine, and a stiff crosswind.
    Founding Member

Jay Baldwin out at Wolf Lake. His specialty is off airport tail wheel training and he has been around for a long, long time.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Thanks gentlemen,, had a good day today. Feeling more and more comfortable everyday. I remember what I have been missing today,, 5 planes in the pattern, 152, 2 each 172s, a Cirus, and a GPS approach twin engine, and a stiff crosswind.
    So I take it you successfully regained your third class medical? Was it easy or is there a story there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    So I take it you successfully regained your third class medical? Was it easy or is there a story there?
    No Sir, training with a CFI, will by operating under light sport rules. Watching what happens with this 3rd class reform that is pending before I make a purchase, if things remain the same I'm looking to buy a Carbon Cub LSA-EX.
    Founding Member

My plan is to train for the next year, gain as much experience and knowledge as I can from a wide variety of CFIs, they all teach different and it has been my experience that a pilot trained by several instructors tends to develop fewer bad habits, as we all have one or two and is a better pilot after training. I'm also a believer in continuing training.

In the end I may not have the Chops, but at least if I only fly with a CFI, I'm still having fun and feeling the freedom and excitement that comes when you strap yourself to an aircraft and take to the skies. Learning to fly off airport is something I plan to ease into with a healthy dose of caution. But, it is a goal I seek to achieve over the next few years.
    Founding Member

No Sir, training with a CFI, will by operating under light sport rules. Watching what happens with this 3rd class reform that is pending before I make a purchase, if things remain the same I'm looking to buy a Carbon Cub LSA-EX.
    Im way jealous That Carbon Cub looks like a hoot! Good for you with not letting life get in the way of living...

Good stuff this is a great company if you decide to go out of state, one of my pilot buddy daughter is a instructor there plus you can go airboating with me in your off time

http://brownsseaplane.com/

Congrats

Stid:
    I second the recommendation for Jay Baldwin and ACTS at wolf lake. I got my wings with him 10 years ago and I believe I had 75 off airport take offs and landings before I hit an asphalt runway! In my opinion, my training was extremely "off airport operations" oriented, as we routinely practiced emergency procedures of preparing to go down in the bush (hopefully in a suitable spot that you always have in mind that you can reach with your current altitude!) Soon after my ticket, I had kids and the flying had to stop for a while, I am looking forward to the day I can resume flight!! Congratulations!

6.2 hours, 54 landings, getting better every flight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21420748551.560549.jpg
    Founding Member

Good for you!

I've got 130 hours, but I haven't flown since '08. Kinda got priced out of the rental market with rising costs. Love to get back into it someday!

Nice! I'm just ahead of you on my work in a Cub. Haven't been since early December, though. Hoping to shake off the rust this weekend, and hopefully will put skis on sometime in February.

good job congrats

Tail wheel training with an aerobatic instructor with calm winds and teardrop on each ends equals freaking awesome!!! We called those RTTs (return to target) in my Army days. Now that is a way to pack in some landings fast, land, takeoff, 180 and repeat!!! 😀😀😀😀 still grinning.
    Founding Member

Stid,
    I'm getting to relive my "rebirth" through your posts. Just to know a guy is doing something he loves to do, and has a huge smile, is cool by any standard.
    Remember a few years back we had a "boat in" to my house? That was fun and we had a good turn out. Some folks came by road, some by water. Well, what about a fly in later this spring? Folks could come by road, by snowmachine on the river, or fly in. For those hardy souls, x-country skis or fat tire bikes would be good too.
    Right now the strip is hard, but we'd have to see what maybe early March brings as to whether it would be ok for wheels.
    The heaters are running, Hope is getting warm, time to go add fuel. It is 9:50am and about light enough to launch, but too gray for me to go find new places to land, so I'll wait a bit.
    ARR

Does anyone know what the deal is with the 3rd class medical, I feel like I have been hearing about this whole 3rd class medical thing now for years. Does anyone take the FAA serious anymore. I mean lets all get real here, how many recreational pilots (not flying for hire or with passengers etc) go out and sell their plane, hangar and every thing else to go sit in a rocking chair because the got a 156 on their blood pressure anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the 3rd class medical, I feel like I have been hearing about this whole 3rd class medical thing now for years. Does anyone take the FAA serious anymore. I mean lets all get real here, how many recreational pilots (not flying for hire or with passengers etc) go out and sell their plane, hangar and every thing else to go sit in a rocking chair because the got a 156 on their blood pressure anyways?
    The last info I can find says that the FAA will announce their decision Sometime between now and March,, I'm not holding my breath. I'm approaching my training towards the CC11-180 and will adjust if they announce 3rd class medical reform, as I believe it will have an effect on LSA aircraft prices.

The biggest group speaking out against it is the medical lobby,, MONEY is the root of many evils. There has been 2 fatal crashes medical related by LSA pilots, one a heart attack and the other a brain aneurism, either could have happened to even 3rd class medical holders.

I'm getting close, weather has me sitting around waiting. Hope to get my TW endorsement this week lord willing.

ARR, would be cool to have another BBQ at your place, enjoyed the last one. Congrats on both your health and your renewed interest in flying.
    Founding Member

I never thought about the price angle (which I almost always do since the price tags in aviation are hard to ignore). You could always build up a kit but doing your own carbon fiber work is ALOT of work and requires quite a bit of stuff to do it plus real estate and a big shop area etc. Though some of these prices tags I see on things can justify such an operation. If the announcement is favorable in march then the costs of those kits might go down in price a little becuase suddenly their entire target market will be able to buy what ever they want and the only people buying them will be the people with money buring a hole in their pockets who think its cool and not because they have to adhere to some artificial weight limitation.

The last info I can find says that the FAA will announce their decision Sometime between now and March,, I'm not holding my breath. I'm approaching my training towards the CC11-180 and will adjust if they announce 3rd class medical reform, as I believe it will have an effect on LSA aircraft prices.

The biggest group speaking out against it is the medical lobby,, MONEY is the root of many evils. There has been 2 fatal crashes medical related by LSA pilots, one a heart attack and the other a brain aneurism, either could have happened to even 3rd class medical holders.

I'm getting close, weather has me sitting around waiting. Hope to get my TW endorsement this week lord willing.

ARR, would be cool to have another BBQ at your place, enjoyed the last one. Congrats on both your health and your renewed interest in flying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast