Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PWS Main Bay Reds Report?

Default PWS Main Bay Reds Report?

Does anyone know if they are there yet?

Also, curious how you guys fish em.

AH

There should be some in there now. Way to catch them is to snag them.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile snaggers

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Way to catch them is to snag them.
    In other words bring the fly rod.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

They are in there but probably in fairly low numbers still they aren't really in snagable numbers untill the last week of june, the gillnetters aren't catching too many yet (early still) Keep an eye of this page http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...t.php?dist=CDV when the main bay subdistrict of the eshamy district opens there are a lot of reds in the bay, please avoid the openers though extra traffic in the bay during an opening is not appreciated by anyone out there. Please also remeber to not drive inside of buoys near the shore as they commonly have a running line between the shore and the buoy and you hitting them costs set netters time and money and could damage your boat. Please be courteous to the fishermen there because without them there wouldn't be a red run there, also please do not be loud after about 9 as there are many families who live in the bay and people actually do try to sleep.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Snagging Gear???

Do you mean snagging with weighted trebble hooks, or, some other type of gear?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default snagging method

we stopped in there on the way back from montegue last year fourth of july weekend. stiff rod and weighted trebles is the way to go. you will see them porpiseing and they will come by in waves. we were casting towards the shore and working the treble back towards the boat. we caught 14 of them in a couple hours and plan on spending more time there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    we stopped in there on the way back from montegue last year fourth of july weekend. stiff rod and weighted trebles is the way to go. you will see them porpiseing and they will come by in waves. we were casting towards the shore and working the treble back towards the boat. we caught 14 of them in a couple hours and plan on spending more time there this year.

SHHHHHHHH!!!

Only russian river flies are allowed in main bay.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    SHHHHHHHH!!!

Only russian river flies are allowed in main bay.
    Actually only gillnets are allowed in main bay

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Actually only gillnets are allowed in main bay
    let us know when you head there. We will pack the bay and cheer for you. Oh yeah of course snag on!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Spent the day outside of Main and Eshamy Bay

Didnt venture into Main Bay to check out the reds, but also didnt see many boats in there either.

Did lay into a school of yelloweye last night and picked up a chicken as well.

AH

Was in there last week. Few in there but not enough to fish. Should start picking up in another week or two.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    let us know when you head there. We will pack the bay and cheer for you. Oh yeah of course snag on!!!!

I'll bring my pom poms!!!

I always make it a point NOT to run into the comericals nets or to impede them. I have a lot of respect for those guys!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I'll bring my pom poms!!!

I always make it a point NOT to run into the comericals nets or to impede them. I have a lot of respect for those guys!!
    Its always appreciated when common courtesy is applied, a lot of people come there shooting off guns blaring loud music and generally being annoying, and it makes people out there hate sportfishermen even more and anomosity between sport and commercial guys is the last thing we need in this state.

Default Commercial openers

What are the commercial openers in Main Bay again? Monday night through Tuesday night and Thursday night through Friday night or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Its always appreciated when common courtesy is applied, a lot of people come there shooting off guns blaring loud music and generally being annoying, and it makes people out there hate sportfishermen even more and anomosity between sport and commercial guys is the last thing we need in this state.
    Last year being new to PWS and Main Bay, we were heading out and were in Port Nellie Juan and my wife asked what the white buoys were. Seeing shrimp pots all week it didn't occur to me that something was different. I looked at the fisherman as I passed his boat, then realized I was driving into his net. I came off the throttle into reverse so I wouldn't run over the net. As I backed out I apologized and told the young man I was just helping by chasing the fish into his net....with an embarrassed smile. He thanked me.

Then when I was in the middle of Main bay I realized again that I was trapped between nets. I just killed the motor and stayed until a hole opened where I could pass.

I have seen guys with jets run over the nets and I have scolded a few.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

You gotta watch out for them . When you least expect it you will find a lone boat with his net out. They are not allow to block the access to and from main bay.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    What are the commercial openers in Main Bay again? Monday night through Tuesday night and Thursday night through Friday night or something like that?
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...t.php?dist=CDV

eshamay district

So how can you tell when the openers will be in July. Maybe I missed something but I cant figure it out.

yes you look at the page on saturday at 2 and at wendsday at 2 it will tell you the next opener.

Default Drift Netters / Main Bay

I was on anchor, catching halibut near the mouth of Main Bay about 4 years ago when a drift netter came in and set his net up current from my boat. Then I had to help him control his net by backing up, out of his way. Next he scolds me for getting in his way. I was informed that he had a permit to fish this area. I told him I had a license to fish this area and since I was there first I thought that gave me priority. He disagreed and left. Not too long after that a very large 'aluminum bow picker' showed up and put his bow maybe three feet from (I could reach out & touch it) my port side and I was told that if I got in his way, I'd be lucky to only have my anchor rope cut. So, in short order, I had confrontations with two drift net boats. I reported both these incidents to several 'official' offices including the boat names & registration numbers and asked that my complaint be forwarded to the correct office. I never heard 'boo' from anyone.

I think it'd be neat if the drift netters were just as courteous to the sportsfisherman.

I've found the reds show up in late days of June in Main Bay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast