Thread: Question about PAHO transient parking

Default Question about PAHO transient parking

I'm sure float pilot will chime in, I'm sure he will know, but if others know please answer;

Does the transient parking at Homer have electrical access?

Looking at flying down this week sometime for an over night. Looking into preheat options for the next morning.

Thanks.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been in and out of there in summer, but didn't notice...headed there in a month, so I'm interested in the answer as well.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Default Who has electricity, great subject

I have been looking for information on which airports have access to electricity as well. I would like to know if Homer, Soldotna, Kenai, Skwetna and Talkeetna have access to electricity. The Ace website lists tie downs in Willow with electricity although I don't know exactly where they are at. The supplement is vague on this subject.

Buy a Honda 2000 or 1000 generator. Get an appropriate electric heater, 1500W or 750 W and then you have power whichever airport you go to. Safer than a northern companion. I can start it, plug in and go to breakfast. Comeback and the plane is ready to go. I would love to figure out a way to use the exhaust from the generator to add heat to the engine and then use the heater in the cabin.

I use transient parking in Homer quite a bit year round. There is no power available. Doesn't mean you can't arrange something with someone though, just not in the transient parking. Same in Seldovia.

The Trans parking in Homer is the row along the apron that edges the runway. There is not any power available anywhere near those tie-downs.
    HOWEVER, it has been so warm here lately that you will not need to pre-heat. It was blowing like an SOB the last few days and raining very hard. Temps have been in the high 30s.
    If you have problems with a sudden freeze I have a propane Red Dragon 12 volt system we can hook up to my truck.

IF your wings are iced up, Smokey Bay or Homer air might let you sit in their hangar for 45 minutes if you pay them a small fee.. Just a few minutes in a warm hangar usually lets you sweep the ice right off.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Generators

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Buy a Honda 2000 or 1000 generator. Get an appropriate electric heater, 1500W or 750 W and then you have power whichever airport you go to. Safer than a northern companion. I can start it, plug in and go to breakfast. Comeback and the plane is ready to go. I would love to figure out a way to use the exhaust from the generator to add heat to the engine and then use the heater in the cabin.
    I already borrow a 2000 Yamaha and run two 900watt lil buddy's, one for the engine and one for the cabin. The weight is 47lbs, I could buy a 1000 and just run one heater to save 20lbs or run my white gas catalytic. Is it just me or wouldn't it be really nice to just plug it into an outlet when your on the grid. My point is I would like to use an outlet if it's available and if it's not I will use other means. I.E. Which airstrips have power available to eliminate the need for extra effort.

Thanks for the information. Just trying to decide if I want to drag down the red dragon/propane bottle/battery. I was planning on bringing my wing covers/engine covers. All I have is an oil pan heater. Can only cram so much in the back of the 150.

Current temp in Homer is + 08 C. Darn near 40F. And really weird winds aloft.

Call before you come down and I can tell you how the night temps have been going... 907-226-2899. We should have a major weather shift anytime now...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot, thanks, will do. Looking at Thur to Fri or Fri to Sat.