Thread: Spring black bear hunting

Default Spring black bear hunting

This past fall was my first time ever hunting, I didn't get anything but I am hooked!

This will be my first spring in AK to hunt. So I was thinking of going for a blackie but I likely won't be able to do a PWS fish and hunt trip like I want to. So, I was thinking of maybe day trips or a possible overnighter (if that is legal or possible) up to Hatchers Pass or somewhere relatively close, I live in the Valley, and was wondering if this is a viable option.

If anyone has a intel or advice they would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by CalTexAk Reaper View Post
    This past fall was my first time ever hunting, I didn't get anything but I am hooked!

This will be my first spring in AK to hunt. So I was thinking of going for a blackie but I likely won't be able to do a PWS fish and hunt trip like I want to. So, I was thinking of maybe day trips or a possible overnighter (if that is legal or possible) up to Hatchers Pass or somewhere relatively close, I live in the Valley, and was wondering if this is a viable option.

If anyone has a intel or advice they would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance!
    There is better bear hunting in the mountains above the Knik river. Try hiking the lazy mountain trail, get up high, and you'll see bears. Or you can hunt down in Kenai or along the seward highway between gwood and Indian. That's where we see alot of bear.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    There is better bear hunting in the mountains above the Knik river. Try hiking the lazy mountain trail, get up high, and you'll see bears. Or you can hunt down in Kenai or along the seward highway between gwood and Indian. That's where we see alot of bear.
    Cool thanks! I really don't know where to go just hearing things but these are great locals!

Cool thanks! I really don't know where to go just hearing things but these are great locals!
    just make sure you are aware of private properties... There is native land along the knik river and also down on the kenai.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    just make sure you are aware of private properties... There is native land along the knik river and also down on the kenai.
    Juli, I don't know of any Native land in the kenai mountains, except perhaps around Moose Pass, am I missing some?

Thanks in advance!
    Do some google searching "Kenai Black Bears". There is no secret to hunting them, but they are difficult to get to, for some of us anyway. There are a few guys on here that make it look easy every year. There are lots of threads about it on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Juli, I don't know of any Native land in the kenai mountains, except perhaps around Moose Pass, am I missing some?
    I don't have the map of them anymore. I had a free trial of an app that showed private land in the state. There were several areas that indicated some sort of native/private ownership on the KP (not the kenai mtns). I suppose the company could have been misinformed, however. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Ahh ok now I follow, yes your correct, big chunks in fact are native. In always thinking Kenai mountains when someone is talking black bears, sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I don't have the map of them anymore. I had a free trial of an app that showed private land in the state. There were several areas that indicated some sort of native/private ownership on the KP (not the kenai mtns). I suppose the company could have been misinformed, however. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mind me asking the name of that App?

Here's a good link: http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/

This is an interactive site that shows land status throughout the state. However, it only displays lands that the State of Alaska has some kind of interest in. Federal (BLM, BIA, etc.) interests are not necessarily depicted here and should be searched for elsewhere to verify land status. This is a great resource to check up on areas that most of us hunt each year. If you plan to visit an area that requires a bit more title research, try this site as well: http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/sdms/

These two sites together should give you a pretty good idea of who has what interest in whatever parcel of land and, more importantly, if they have any authority to keep you out. That said, most uninformed "landowners" that point a shotgun in your face and tell you to get off their land (that in many cases they don't actually own) are usually pretty effective.

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    Here's a good link: http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/

This is an interactive site that shows land status throughout the state. However, it only displays lands that the State of Alaska has some kind of interest in. Federal (BLM, BIA, etc.) interests are not necessarily depicted here and should be searched for elsewhere to verify land status. This is a great resource to check up on areas that most of us hunt each year. If you plan to visit an area that requires a bit more title research, try this site as well: http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/sdms/

These two sites together should give you a pretty good idea of who has what interest in whatever parcel of land and, more importantly, if they have any authority to keep you out. That said, most uninformed "landowners" that point a shotgun in your face and tell you to get off their land (that in many cases they don't actually own) are usually pretty effective.
    I have the memory card in my GPS for Alaska, and it shows all proprety lines. Used it this fall and it was pretty cool. It will also do updates. Here is the link for some info: http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

Crackhouse (Sportsmans Warehouse) $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
    Mind me asking the name of that App?
    Hi Spanner - sorry I haven't looked at this thread for a few days! - CalTexReaper just posted it
    Taxidermy IS art!

Thumbs up

H&FAK mentioned Gwood - Indian. Chugach State Park black bear season is open from Sept 2- May 31st.
    Not sure when or where you'll be hunting, jusy know that not all areas are open year 'round for blackies.
    Double check the hunting areas and hunting dates for said species.
    You don't want to start you hunting carreer with an avoidable ticket...

I've always had decent luck spotting blacks up by Eklutna lake in the spring. Getting close enough for a bow shot makes it a real challenge.