Thread: Ak Hunting News: Nelchina Tier II Application Period Reopens June 20,21

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Nelchina Tier II Application Period Reopens June 20,21

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

From an ADFG News Release:

Given the magnitude and complexity of changes to the Nelchina caribou hunt, the Tier II permit application period for it will be re-opened for two days next week.

At its spring meeting, the Alaska Board of Game made sweeping revisions to the popular subsistence hunt, ranging from salvage requirements to transportation methods to income eligibility.

Whether it was dissatisfaction with the changes, or confusion over what they meant, the number of TC566 applications this spring is down substantially, with approximately 1,500 fewer this year than last.

Because the Nelchina caribou herd has shown a propensity for overgrazing its habitat if allowed to grow too large, it is in the long-term interest of the herd to have a pool of hunters sufficiently large to meet management objectives.

Before the board meeting even ended, there were threats of lawsuits. Whether potential litigants applied is unclear, but with the opening of the hunting season less than two months away, legal action at this point could throw the entire season into disarray.

In an average year, one-third to one-half of the harvest is taken in August. If the season start is delayed by legal action, it is questionable whether hunters could make up the lost harvest opportunity.

Alaska Department of Fish & Game managers were not sure what to expect for application numbers, but they expected to receive at least as many as last year. The special two-day application period is an attempt to be proactive in trying to avoid massive disruption right before the season is scheduled to open.

Next Wednesday and Thursday, June 20-21, applications will be accepted only on-line at a special web page set up for this purpose. The web page was not working at the time this news report was filed. Applications will NOT be accepted by mail, FAX or hand-delivery.

The special application period applies only to Nelchina caribou permits in Game Management Unit 13. Hunters who already have submitted an application for that hunt should NOT apply again. The special application period does not apply to any other Tier II hunts, to any other species or to any other areas.

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

applications were down by 1500? did they not think the income requirment would cut back a few folks or what??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What a joke.

It sounds like 1500 drawing permits to me.

Default A joke indeed

Dissatisfaction? Confusion? seemed pretty cut and dried, household income over $51,000, might as well forget it!

For every dollar the state does not get for a drawing fee is a dollar lost from the feds from the Pittman-Roberts fund.

Is it really about the game management, or the people management for the dollar?

I agree 1500 draw permits also

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Newsbot View Post
    ....At its spring meeting, the Alaska Board of Game made sweeping revisions to the popular subsistence hunt, ranging from salvage requirements to transportation methods to income eligibility.

Whether it was dissatisfaction with the changes, or confusion over what they meant, the number of TC566 applications this spring is down substantially, with approximately 1,500 fewer this year than last....
    Idiots. What did they expect? Isn't this what they wanted?

....Before the board meeting even ended, there were threats of lawsuits. Whether potential litigants applied is unclear, but with the opening of the hunting season less than two months away, legal action at this point could throw the entire season into disarray.....
    I guess that's next in this comedy of foolhardiness: a Bozo in black robes ruling that the hunt must stop until the courts can "sort it all out".

....The special two-day application period is an attempt to be proactive in trying to avoid massive disruption right before the season is scheduled to open....
    Isn't it too late to "avoid massive distruption"?

I hope the Board learns something from this exhibition of fecklessness, but I'm not optimistic.

For the first time in many years, I did not apply. Too much bull crap!

I will not apply.

Talking mother nature harvest

maybe the bears can help out ADF&G. they make less than $50K. looks like the joke is on the game lawmakers. i'll enjoy a laugh at their expense and relay some common advice...KISS

Default confusing

I am not sure I understand the problem...but from the way the article was written they are afraid that the decrease in permit applications indicates someone might file a lawsuit and delay the hunt? Maybe they didnt understand the income stratification of Alaska that most people were eliminated from the hunt. But why wouldnt they just award them in a drawing like they planned?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I didn't initially apply, I was pissed about the income limit. I will apply though, I want to be thrown into a draw if it comes down to that.

Tim

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I am not sure I understand the problem...but from the way the article was written they are afraid that the decrease in permit applications indicates someone might file a lawsuit and delay the hunt?
    There are some folks who have indicated that a lawsuit is what the Board hoped to illicit, which makes all this that much more stupid. The last thing we need is more court antics in wildlife management.

What I got from the article is that the Department is worried that a lawsuit before the season gets under way might result in a restraining order or other such delay action, which would result in no or a drastically reduced harvest.

Maybe they didnt understand the income stratification of Alaska that most people were eliminated from the hunt.
    Yet more indication of stupidity.

But why wouldnt they just award them in a drawing like they planned?
    The article indicated that there were 1500 fewer applicants this year than last. There were 8,014 applicants last year (with only 5,500 permits awarded), thus there were approximately 6,500 applicants this year.

So what's the problem? Those who gain points because they're under the income disqualifier get permits, and the remainer qualify for a general draw. There are enough applicants (unless the Department intended a higher harvest/# of permits issued this year) to deny 1,000 applicants a permit.

Perhaps they want to give folks a second chance to apply so they can say "no" to more people?

Unhappy

Its hard not not take it personally given my bad luck with drawings. Given those numbers it sounds like I probably had too much of a chance at getting a permit in the drawing and fish and game found out about it and panicked. So they opened up the permit process again to decrease my odds as usual. ****. I cant believe I was going to get a permit...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default If you draw you give up certain rights

The income limitation probably did cut down on the applications but the big one and the one that stpped me and lots of others from applying was the fact that if you did draw a tier II say for caribou that you gave up your rights to hunt that animal elsewhere in the state for that year. That just sucks!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by John/Alaska View Post
    The income limitation probably did cut down on the applications but the big one and the one that stpped me and lots of others from applying was the fact that if you did draw a tier II say for caribou that you gave up your rights to hunt that animal elsewhere in the state for that year. That just sucks!
    Whoops! There's another factor I forgot about.

Actually, when you combine no aircraft/swampbuggies, kidney/hide/head harvest, income limits, and this no-other-hunt disqualifier, it's rather remarkable that they got 6,500 applicants..............

Maybe the 6500 applicants aren't aware of the new restrictions or plan to ignore and then claim, "Oh, I didn't know about that!"...anything is possible but I certainly agree that the additional new restrictions most likely is primarily responsible for the decrease in applicants....seems to me there shouldn't be any surprise there.