Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling

Default Calling

I know this is a loaded question and I'm sure to get a bunch of smart ass remarks.... How far out of town do I need to go to get in some good calling? I've called in the occasional coyote "chena flood control"... I think that's a lot of luck though. I was thinking about heading up the Elliot and going in off the chatanika river. Is that far enough out of Fairbanks?

Maybe, I haven't even had that kinda luck and I have hunted up here for four years. I have had some good responses but no takers off the Elliott though.

I've been using nothing but hand calls, I'm under the impression I need to shell out 200 bucks for a fox pro ....

Shoot Vince a PM he may be willing to help you. I don't know in that area.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I use hand calls and electronics. I have called in lots of totes in the lower 48 I guess maybe I just suck up here, for one reason or another I haven't killed anything bigger than a grouse in 4 years. I think you will do ok on the elliott. I was up that way a few weeks ago and saw plenty of sign.

Ill keep you guys posted. I'm going to run up there Friday. Hopefully the rabbit population hasn't taking a nose dive there

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    I use hand calls and electronics. I have called in lots of totes in the lower 48 I guess maybe I just suck up here, for one reason or another I haven't killed anything bigger than a grouse in 4 years. I think you will do ok on the elliott. I was up that way a few weeks ago and saw plenty of sign.
    Things are different up here. For one thing, there isn't as much food available (per acre) resulting in larger territories for individual animals. The result is lots of sets where there is nothing within hearing to respond. Keep trying. Also remember that coyotes aren't at the top of the food chain and as a result don't vocalize nearly as much as one in the lower 48.

silly question... How much does the sound of a 4wheeler/sled mess with the animals? Does the sound scare them away do I need to walk a1/4 of a mile from the sled to make a set?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Things are different up here. For one thing, there isn't as much food available (per acre) resulting in larger territories for individual animals. The result is lots of sets where there is nothing within hearing to respond. Keep trying. Also remember that coyotes aren't at the top of the food chain and as a result don't vocalize nearly as much as one in the lower 48.
    This was my first thought, a dozen years ago when I left the L48 I saw nearly as many coyotes as I did deer, which was way more than I saw twenty years ago. They were thick....everywhere, and I think that ups the odds in big ways even if they had more to eat. Densities of about anything are much lower in AK and even the perfect set (hand or electronic) may often not have any ears around to hear it. Much prettier place to get skunked than a cornfield in Illinois though, that's for sure.

However, being that there is less to eat and larger ranges, I have always felt that leads to a more "callable" animal as they have little chance to be picky if they are within earshot.

As far as machine noise, I think that beyond getting a distance away, just being quiet for 15-30 minutes could have the same effect in calming things down if you made a noisy entrance to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    As far as machine noise, I think that beyond getting a distance away, just being quiet for 15-30 minutes could have the same effect in calming things down if you made a noisy entrance to the area.
    ^^^ What he said or you could listen for the locals to say it all clear to continue talking or eating.

I've made three sets with my new foxpro I got for christmas. I used the snowshoe 2 and the juvenile fox with no success.

The distance from town can vary drastically, depending on the predator numbers during a year, pressure...etc. I've driven almost 150 miles in every direction out of town this year and have seen nothing and very little sign. I have seen some predators, but was driving down the road and they just crossed and kept on moving. You don't have to have a FoxPro, but it's another tool in the bag of tricks that is very handy to have. I use electronic callers for the majority of my stands, unless I want to make a very fast stand and get out of the truck and not hassle with putting it out. As far as snowmachine noise goes, I haven't noticed that predators care too awful much about them in areas where they're used to hearing them. If I go into an area where I'm breaking trail and away from a major thoroughfare, I'll try to use the topography of the land to my advantage. I've killed animals standing beside my machine before, minutes after I shut it off, so not all predators are spooked out by an engine (especially lynx).

thanks for the responses guys.

Snowcamoman, you're alive! Gary, yeah I know all that about wide open spaces and numbers and such. I just find it hard to believe that after four years and everything I have tried that it's just coincidence I haven't shot anything when guys talk about getting coyotes off the flood plain, or "First time out, looked what I shot" stories. Luckily I am too stubborn/stupid to quit but I would like to get ANYTHING other than a grouse before I leave Alaska.

Oldschool this week is the first week I've made a set this year. I made 3 yesterday with no luck... On the 24th I went to the flood control and when I pulled up a coyote was about 400yards on the east side of the chena.... I suck a predator calling, but it sure is fun

There is so much more to calling in a predator than just calling. You are hunting a hunter. Location wind wind and wind play a huge factor. Majority of predators called in are never seen. They circle cut your wind and game over. It's an art and it takes a lot of practice and empty sets but when it happens you'll be hooked for life

I've hunted almost every day past two weeks called in nothing but, birds and a few moose. Like a few others I've killed dozens back home but AK is an entirely different animal. I know my scent control/wind usage is fine and I'm in high prey areas most of the places I've been are far off the beaten trail and still no luck, I've got plenty of sign. I've hunted day and night just not catching them in the area when I come through, don't feel too bad guys nothing killed in my area either.

Ok I take back what I said earlier, I did lip squeak a Fox into 50yds in my neighborhood on fort wainwright one night while the wife and I were outside. So I guess that is one this season?😕

So I went out this morning. I think we made 7 sets around 20 to 35 minutes a piece. We didn't call any thing in except some ravens and mag pies. I still dont think I was far enough out of town... We offloaded at olnes pond and made out way to the pipe line then headed north. Didn't see very many fresh tracks... Sure was fun and cold. Can't wait to do it again

I made a couple stands yesterday along the flood plain and one today up on Old Murphy Dome rd. before I cut some firewood.So it has been 1 year since I seen a lynx and two years since I seen a coyote. Both crossing the road when I was driving somewhere. Never seen a wolf or a bear. I either have crappy luck, no skill, or I need a divorce so I can spend more time in woods. Now I gotta be gone for a month and a half!

Hope ya'll are fairing better and be safe out there. Temps are finally dropping now that I am leaving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast