Thread: New to Alaska, Not new to Waterfowl

Default New to Alaska, Not new to Waterfowl

Hey all!
    I will be up in Alaska soon and I will be brand new to the area. I am not asking for your honey holes or anything like that but just some information. I will be near Fairbanks for most of the time. I have a bunch of decoys that are mostly mallards with some pintails, canvasbacks, and redheads. I also have Canadian goose decoys.

First, what species of ducks are up there?
    When is the season start and open near Fairbanks?
    Will I need a boat or can I use my insulated waders?
    Finally, what camo is normal for hunting? In Colorado, I use Max-4 and Max-5.

Thanks for all the help in adavence! Hopefully I can hunt with some of you some day!

Alright, Ill be the first one to tell you: use the search feature on the forum. All these questions and more have been well covered. If you are military, there are plenty of duck hunters on base that should be willing to show you around.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Welcome to Alaska and the forum. Also, google up the Alaska Waterfowl Association. I've never hunted the Fairbanks area but I know there is some good hunting up there, even some open water late season hunting. Our seasons open Sept 1, and we shoot brown ducks throughout Sept, getting some full colored ducks in Oct. Season officially ends in mid Dec, but the hunting is pretty well over in mid to end of Oct due to freeze up and migration. Some hunt Cordova or Kodiak later in the year, and some go to the salt and shoot sea ducks into December, your deks hit pretty much the mix we hunt for, only allowed one can, so i'd leave them at home. You do have some excellent field goose and crane hunting in your area. I start off the season with a little more green camo and brown up as the grass and reeds turn brown later in Sept. This is just some brief ideas, but yes, there is a wealth of information on here, just don't believe everything people write, and be ready to do a lot of learning, this is a lot tougher hunting them most of the lower 48 hunting i've done. Bud
    Wasilla

"your deks hit pretty much the mix we hunt for, only allowed one can, so i'd leave them at home."

akblackdawg What do you mean by this?

Will my decoys be fine with the species that I have? Things in Colorado are pretty straight forward, You show up at 4 or 430 and set up your decoys and a half an hour before sunrise is legal shoot. I use single reed mallard calls, will this be alright?

Sorry, I can see how that is confusing. I was commenting about any canvas back decoys you may have, with only one can allowed per day, I would not use canvas back decoys. I often end up shooting a duck or two that I don't recognize before shooting it, and that could put you over the limit on cans.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper819 View Post
    "your deks hit pretty much the mix we hunt for, only allowed one can, so i'd leave them at home."

akblackdawg What do you mean by this?

Will my decoys be fine with the species that I have? Things in Colorado are pretty straight forward, You show up at 4 or 430 and set up your decoys and a half an hour before sunrise is legal shoot. I use single reed mallard calls, will this be alright?
    Wasilla

Thanks. In colorado there is really no restrictions on decoys. What about mojos?

Thanks. In colorado there is really no restrictions on decoys. What about mojos?

Theres no decoy restrictions. I use a pretty versatile spread of decoys and a few divers in your spread is a good idea. Just depends on what you want to shoot I guess. The mojo is good. It works somedays and others it doesn't. Youll have to play with it. I use one often and go between on and off. On the water motion is much more important in my experience.

I don't know much about the fbx area but I know there are plenty of guys up there that like to hunt. If you plan on having a long season you have to be versatile. Get into the salt hunt rivers etc. We get a good freeze usually in Oct that ends the marsh hunting and you'll have to search for other areas to keep you in the birds.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks c6, and is salt river hunting that different that regular river hunting?

Hunting anything tidal is much different than anything that isn't tidal. The changing water levels are very dangerous, especially if you don't plan ahead. My advice is to go with someone who has experience hunting tidal waters first and learn from them.

if you are going to be up around Fairbanks, then this won't be an issue. However, we hear every year about people who do DIY hunts in the salt and have lots go wrong. Just do your best not to add your name to the list. The hunting can be great in Alaska, but it comes with more potential for things to go wrong than in many other places. Do your homework and plan way ahead. Good luck!

example of what can happen when you dont anchor your boat correctly in a tidal river. (I finally figured it out)

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Thanks c6, and is salt river hunting that different that regular river hunting?
    Like stated anything tidal can be dangerous. The tide swings here are some of the largest on the planet. Not yet mentioned is the silt/mud. Just as dangerous if not more dangerous than the water level. The silt that gets deposited by the tides here can be like glue sucking your feet into it. Just poke around on the forum and you will find stories of people almost dying and some that actually did.

Its recommended to slowly branch out and get in with a few guys that have done it before. Don't be scared to explore but do it wisely. Have knowledge of where you are going to be at and have the equipment to make yourself safe. If you're going to FBX hit me up. I should be living in that area next year. Ill be doing plenty of scouting this summer when I get up there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Hey, Ilive in Fairbanks and Just so you know Duck hunting season up here is short!,it starts September 1st and while the season goes into December they ducks andgeese are all gone by then. Also the duck season starts the same as mooseseason which means there tends to be a lot of people out and about during theseason. for around Fairbanks I like hunting creamers field, lots of ponds withducks, also going down to minto flats is supposed to be good, never did it forducks though, I do more jump shooting up here than I did when I lived inJuneau, but if your focus is on ducks I think you will find success.