Thread: H4831 vs h4831sc

Default H4831 vs h4831sc

Would you expect a good recipe with one to shoot the same with the other, or would I need to do a whole new work up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every single variety and generation of "4831" is different in my experience, and I'm pretty sure I've shot them all since starting with the original surplus back in the 1950's. Drop down about 5% below your current load and sneak back up. Yeah, you'll burn a little extra powder and have to do a little more reloading and shooting. But isn't that why we got into this sport in the first place?

Generally speaking, yes but, as stated above, one LOT of powder is slightly different than the other. The burn rate is same, so it is claimed and the main reason for "SC" is for improved metering. I have used both in my .338WM with "equal" results and found the "SC" was more user friendly, however, I discovered RL22 and never looked back. I have a few lbs of both varieties of 4831 in reserve and it also gets used regularly for some 06' loads. 4831 is definitely a favorite.

So, even when using the "same" powder one must start anew with each new LOT, oft times the favorite data will perform equally with a new LOT, sometimes a "new" load will be in order.

Thanks fellas, the standard stuff was metering terribly in my hornady electronic measure and I found some short cut today. I'm just starting development so I think I'll switch over to this short cut and keep the other stuff in reserve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd drop it down a grain or two and work my way back up.
    No need to do a full work up but two grains, in half grain increments, should get you where you need to be if you're loading over 40 grains now in your load.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk