Thread: Daughter with her xmas lynx

Default Daughter with her xmas lynx

Well day after xmas lynx. We checked "her" line together as a family on xmas day only to find the nine lynx cubbys empty. I went out the next day to check my wolf line and one of her sets is where I head out cross country and this guy was bouncing. I called her up and told her to come get her cat...

Pretty big cat, weighed in at 31#'s. More red then I like to see this time of year but not to bad for a old Tom. Due to the crash in rabbits, it's about all you see is the bigger cats left.

She plans on putting it in the Fur Rondy Fur sale..

Sweet! Love the photo of her holding it on the machine. :-)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations to both of you!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Beautiful cat. I'll be looking for it at the auction.....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    More red then I like to see this time of year but not to bad for a old Tom. Due to the crash in rabbits, it's about all you see is the bigger cats left.
    OMG..........your killing all the seed for when the rabbits come back!!!!!!!!!! F&G should close your season for 6 years!!!!!!! haha!
    Seriously..........good job, keep the girls at it. Only place a kid can get good experience with the outdoors is with the parents.

So where's the pics of the new wife out trapping?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Very nice - I would love to be able to catch one of those cats! Looks like your gonna be busy fighting the boys off too - very beautiful girl you have there!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congratulations to the young Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    OMG..........your killing all the seed for when the rabbits come back!!!!!!!!!! F&G should close your season for 6 years!!!!!!! haha!
    Seriously..........good job, keep the girls at it. Only place a kid can get good experience with the outdoors is with the parents.

So where's the pics of the new wife out trapping?
    Yeah I know, I didn't even set for lynx last year because of the low #'s but this year I am cutting more trail and playing with a few wolves way out but we kept seeing this guys HUGE tracks around the cabin so Kara went and set a few cubbys by herself and caught the sucker. I am pretty proud of her. I believe she could out catch a few other trappers I know. There seems to be a metric ton of muskrats this year so she is also out tearing up push-ups. Like you said, it keeps the kids entertained AND busy. To be honest, I wouldn't mind a closure for Lynx in unit 13 for a 3-4 years. Theres very few rabbits, few lynx and no fox on my 53 mile line. Plenty of otters, a few mink, marten & a pair of very smart wolves,lol. The wife? She only runs the trapline on check days and only when it's warmer then -20..

Smoky, if you ever get up this way you would be welcome to come catch cats. Better wait a few years though,lol.

trailblazer perhaps you can help me with an otter question?
    Last year Il opened its first ever otter season with a limit of 5 I think. Anyway I have miles of river with dirt banks and a lot of beaver. There are scattered otter colonies or groups but I am not sure if I get a chance to look for them just what I am looking for in the way of sign? I have seen otters in the wilds of Canada several times but not sure how to find them here? Any tips?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Boy, I don't have any experience in open water otter trapping. Most of my sets are on top of the ice. Freshly blown out muskrat pushups are almost a guarantee catch or any area's along rivers, lakes & ponds where the otters find a way in and out of the water. Another favorite of mine is setting along the banks anywhere in the otter travel routes where there are pockets or dig outs. They almost everytime check these areas out when they come thru, I think looking for places to get back under the ice. Here, once a family(usually 3-6 otters) get up on the ice they will travel for MILES on top looking for food and places to get back under. I guard these places with 330s and a few guide sticks. What I have found is that otters have rather large travel routes and usually stick to them coming thru every week or so. Probably not much help to ya with open water trapping. I would look for toilet areas and also fresh kill sites where they have been eating rats, fish or frogs. Maybe any runs that come off the river with choke points would be great places for 330's..

Smokey - if you find an otter toilet you can set conibears on their slides going into the water - Toilets are identified by lots of fish bones and scat in an area on a bank. They like to use the same toilets as they make their way through and down bodies of water. Another good set for otter is on top of beaver dams/slides... If you use conibear traps, use a 220 ... 330 can work too, but if you put them in water you may end up catching by their tail...or losing them and the trap (ask me how I know this, LOL)...

basically what Steve said, LOL

Otter is one of my favorites. I made two of my sons hats from river otter (sides and back) and lynx (front and inside ear flaps).

Good luck!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks for the advice, I know we have some around and it will be fun doing some snooping. We are freezing up right now and ice flows are a mess, pulled my two 330's today in anticipation. A beaver had swam in one with a branch in his mouth as that was all I had caught! I know where there are a couple ponds close to the river and my bet is they will go to them as the river freezes to hunt! I will now have an idea what to look for - Thanks!