Thread: Halibut Cove Lagoon?

Default Halibut Cove Lagoon?

We got invited to spend the weekend at one of the public use cabins in halibut Cove Lagoon this summer. We have never been there and I am a little concerned about getting our boat through the channel. We have a 26' Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser. Can anyone shed some light on if we can get our boat back there? Or what to expect once back there?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

dg

Plan your crossing into the lagoon around high tide, and have a person on the bow, possibly with a pole.

It's been several years since I ran up there, but I remember it not being a big deal. I remember not being a little early before the tide once, and just had my friend on the bow guiding me, then at one point I pulled the motors up mostly out of the water, and he used an oar to guide us. I was in a 22' Boston Whaler.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When the tide is around +2 the channel would be too shallow for you. I ran my 22' Searunner in there many many times. I've seen Russian commercial boats in the lagoon many times. They are only sport fishing but it gives you an idea what the depth is. Once inside the lagoon it's very deep. Going in the channel is on the right side up against the bank. On the highest tides it looks like a safe wide channel, however it's not hehe.

The cabin out on the point is isolated from the others and you need a running line to anchor off shore if you don't want to go dry. The other cabins have a dock and ramp and are great for big groups if you reserve two cabins.

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.

Is there any fishing to be had within the lagoon? We have three young kids and would love the chance for them to catch a fish or two.

I think we are going in mid to late June

dg

Charterboat Operator

Be
    Quote Originally Posted by dagreiner1013 View Post
    We got invited to spend the weekend at one of the public use cabins in halibut Cove Lagoon this summer. We have never been there and I am a little concerned about getting our boat through the channel. We have a 26' Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser. Can anyone shed some light on if we can get our boat back there? Or what to expect once back there?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

dg
    Before you blast up there stop into one of our local water taxi out fits on the spit, Ashore water taxi or Maco's, as the channels is for ever changing year to year and these boys are regularly running in and out of there and would have the latest and most up dated Intel on the channel it self!! O! and the idea of keeping the boat to the floor so you draw less water is a bad idea!! unfortunately I know.. its beautiful back in there and the cabins are sweet and in great locations! cheers

We certainly will not be flooring it up the channel. LOL!!!

I had planned on motoring up real slow.

Thanks for the advice on getting intel from the local water taxi services.

dg

I have stayedat one of the cabins a few times over the last few years. I was nervous thefirst time heading in. I think people/DNR recommend the tide to be +6, I havealways waited until +8. Stay near the rocks, my first time I was just aboutthrough the channel on the way in and cut left to early… there is a sand barthere. … Bring a clamming shovel; also fishing off the dock is great for kids, thePollack and Starry Flounder will keep them busy all day.

Really enjoyed our stay there. There is a terminal run of kings in there but i dont remember exactly when they show.

June is a good time for kings there.
    I've done it many times. Stay to the right side coming in on high tide and you'll be fine.
    There is a pretty good current in the channel at times.
    A family friend used to take his 54' seine boat in there on occasion. But he knows that area real real well.
    Lots of good hiking trails around. Though they are a bit tough for the real young kids.
    Have fun.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm glad someone started this thread! My neighbor used to fish the lagoon many years ago and we have been talking about planning a trip over around june. Glad to hear the same info here that he remembers. Ive never fished that side of the bay. Does anybody have any pointers for a chicken hole near the Lagoon general area or on the way, to or fro. Just to have a plan "b" if we get skunked. Or a bonus of some small buts.
    thanks QF

I am in and out of there all the time. My cut-off for going in is 6.5' on an incoming, 8' on an outgoing (I am usually just in and out, not staying). I am sure I could pull it off on a little less water, but prefer not to! The channel entrance is not intuitive, and if you stick too far to the right at the top of the channel there is a big rock that can be an issue. Also if you cut into the lagoon too soon there is a mussel shoal that is a prop eater. I think that the king return there was better this year than it has been for some time. The timing is the same as the spit lagoon, but snagging opens in halibut cove lagoon by regulation, not EO, and generally the fish get cleaned out in pretty short order.
    When you get here next summer give me a call on my cell, 399-2340 and I will talk you through it, or maybe you can even follow me in.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yes to the mussel shoal being an issue; I have a set of props at our office on display that are now about 6-8" in diameter
    Missed the channel entrance (heading out of the lagoon) doin 22 kts on a 7' ebbing tide, sun in eyes and went too wide to avoid the "sleeper" rock Dave mentioned. Completely troughed the shoal, didn't even slow the boat down too much, sounded horrible but alas sacrificed aluminum props only.
    Quite exciting. I'd be careful about the "channel" and hugging the point going in on the right (from the Halibut Cove/Bay end) people hit there often. Okay on a high tide but otherwise we use a different approach way out to the left which I learned from Dave, sometimes 3' of water or less but we stay on step all the way in and it's not a problem.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

As mentioned, don't cut right too soon on the way in or you'll hit the mussel shoal.

One trick is to kick your o/b up about 45 deg so if you hit bottom it's with your skeg, not your prop. I learned that trick watching someone come out of the channel at low tide. We'd taken a hike that was longer than expected and as I made way to let him by I chunked my prop.

On the upside, that area is a great place to get away for the weekend. We've always gone early in the season and the kings weren't in heavy enough to chase. I've fished the lagoon in the evenings from our dingy and pulled up a few sculpin and pollock. The fishing has been better out by gull rock with cod and the occasional small halibut. We've also taken pollock by the bouy at the entrance of the lagoon.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.