Thread: Moose hunt items

Default Moose hunt items

If I am skilled enough to take a moose next year then I have a questions. How much leather comes out of a large bull moose? I am not looking for a rug but something more usable.

Thanks
    B

I have the full hide of a medium bull and it fits a twin bed like a bed sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by watkinsba View Post
    If I am skilled enough to take a moose next year then I have a questions. How much leather comes out of a large bull moose? I am not looking for a rug but something more usable.

Thanks
    B
    Skill doesn't hurt; luck is better.
    Limon, I never heard of anybody tanning a whole moose hide w/ hair on it; only caribou. I have seen, and own (pieces of) tanned, slipped hide. Especially smoke tanned moose hide. Is the moose hide warm as a caribou skin do you think?

sayak, you would be surprised how many people do. LOL. I had a calf made into leather, hair on is very pretty, but far too heavy to make any type of clothing out of. Would be very warm to sleep under or on top of, I imagine.

To the OP - as Limon indicated, a medium bull hide will be about 4.5 feet wide and 6 feet long. A very large bull, another foot each direction, I would guess. Many leather tanneries will only take them 'split' - that is cut lengthwise down the middle - neck to rump. You also have the option of cutting a piece to the size your want tanned.

Moose leather is very heavy - but not stiff like cow leather. It is supple like elk or deer, just very thick.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

YOST in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin and Specialty Leather in Boone Iowa will take your full moose hide and turn it into leather. I used to send my elephant tanning to Specialty Leather. I think their limit was 4ft wide, but that was for elephants and the hides are just so heavy. Sent them 1/2 a hide one time and the dried skin on a crate was over 400lbs.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

I have had Several folks talk me into taking in their Hair On & Hair OFF tanning for a Full Moose skin.

Hair on Moose flat skins Suck due to the Natural shedding of Moose . Even if it was sent to the Best tanneries in the US. The hair just continues to come out here & there. NOT like slipping. Just a couple here & there but always.

As for Leather , they make pretty good Garment leather but they usually have LOTS of scars.

A Large bull ends up being about 45 to 55 square foot, Mediums are about 40 to 45.

The Biggest complaint on tanning them is Always the huge cost.

The Medium bull we sent in 2 years ago was over $1ooo. for the customer & a hell of a lot of work for me to flesh it.

I wont even consider taking Moose skins in for tanning anymore & I know most other guys here in Fairbanks wont either.

It is a LOT cheaper to get ahold of FOX Valley or Tandy Leather & buy it already tanned into leather.

Then there is not a huge expense in shipping & NO FLESHING & Salting !!!

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

Protaxidermy.com
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Skill doesn't hurt; luck is better.
    Limon, I never heard of anybody tanning a whole moose hide w/ hair on it; only caribou. I have seen, and own (pieces of) tanned, slipped hide. Especially smoke tanned moose hide. Is the moose hide warm as a caribou skin do you think?
    It's pretty darn cool if you ask me, and your right it's not common. The sheer size is difficult to deal with. I spent several nights fleshing it and I put about 20 lbs of salt on it if I recall correctly. Shipping it out required an oversized box and $140 in shipping! Return shipping was only like $35 because it fit in a way smaller box on it's way home. The leather is VERY soft. It is still relatively heavy (think about 6 blankets stacked on top of each other) and I think it would be very warm to sleep under, but I haven't tried.

It was explained to me that hollow hairs like a moose and caribou have break when they bend and so they appear to be shedding lightly. For that reason they are not considered good candidates for rugs.

I had mine done thinking I would just hang it on the wall for now but it fit the bed so well it's been living on the bed in the spare room, every one that has seen it has been very impressed.

I wanted to try tanning it but the size intimidated me. If I get another one I'm going to cut it into 4 pieces and then tan it myself. Breaking it by hand seems like an enormous amount of work so I'll also turn an old dryer into a tumbler and belt sand it if I get the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk