Thread: 200 grain 30-06 loads for deer in brown bear country

Default 200 grain 30-06 loads for deer in brown bear country

Looking for some advice on 200+ grain loads for the 30-06 for deer hunting in SE. I'm sure I'll get the replies that it's not enough gun for brownies but I feel more comfortable with it over my 7mm's. So back to the question at hand. I am looking at loading it up with 200 grain A-frames, or kodiaks, north forks, or the woodleigh. Any experience with these bullets moving around 2600 ish as far as penetration and dependability when encountering heavy bone and how do they compare accuracy wise. Not looking for real long range shooters, if I can't get within a couple hundred yards of a deer I'm not doing my part. Advice appreciated, thanks

Try RL-17 powder in your 30/06.
    If you do a little Google foo you can find some pressure data w/200's.
    A few other powders will get you there too. RL-22, H4831sc, etc........
    I use 200's in my 30/06's.....Nosler AB or PT.........

Start low and work up.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Ramshot Hunter got me 2630 fps with a 200 NP. Very accurate load for but unfortunately I haven't seen any if that powder on the shelf in several years.

The one shot I fired with that load in the field smashed a 28"+ brown bear skull and traveled down the neck. Broke plenty of bone and I recovered it at the neck/shoulder junction. No issues with penetration in that "sample of one". Partition
    would be my choice again for a 200gr '06 bullet. I'd use the above mentioned RL-17, RL-22, or 4831 simply due to availability.

Yk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no worries and carry factory 180/220 rn core-lokt in 30-06 over 25yrs just in SE and ain't got kilt yet,not even close.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I was looking at the partitions also and have used them in the lighter weights for the 06' and the 7mm. And at the lower velocities it should hold together better than at 7 mag velocities. But I am more curious with the bonded type bullets. I will be using either 4831, rl22 or 4350 currently have and use all 3. The 200 accubond looks like it would be a pretty good bullet for longer range work, high bc and sd. But unfortunately I will most likely be shooting less than 150 yards and really what I'm looking for is something that will get me the deapest penetration possible and still go through heavy bone in the event that I would have to defend myself from a brownie but still work well for deer. Two opposite ends of the spectrum I know.

I like 200 Barns X they work the best for me!

Never popped a bear with them, but I've sure whacked a lot of deer over the years using the 200 grain Partition in both 06 and 308. Opens nice on the deer at any range I've shot them, so no sign of "over-construction." Never recovered any though, so I can't give you any info on weight retention. Shot a few deer with 200 grain Speers from an 06 and 300 mag, but never felt quite so confident with them in bear country. Sure did a nice job on the deer though.

I shot a whitetail with a 200 grain accubond, and went from front shoulder to butt with a 30 cal hole at the start to 1 inch out the back. I would say it would do ok getting to the vital spots on a bear.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

My experience is tha same as Amigo Wills, except for 220's and Kodiak rather than SE.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have no worries and carry factory 180/220 rn core-lokt in 30-06 over 25yrs just in SE and ain't got kilt yet,not even close.
    What would you think about the Hornady RNs, in the same weights?

Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you are thinking about the Partitions, Shooters Pro Shop had some a few weeks ago really cheap. I think I got 5 bags of 50 for around $75 shipped. Anybody that likes em, might want to stock up.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What would you think about the Hornady RNs, in the same weights?

Thanks
    SOTN

I friend of mine did some penetration testing with a chum of his that had a system set up with varying levels of plywood and water filled milk jugs, don't know how that compares to muscle and bone, but the Hornady RN always did really well compared to most other bullets. If I remember right, the A-Frames and only a few others surpassed the Round Nose.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!