Thread: Steelhead in June?

Default Steelhead in June?

Are there any particular places around the Icy or Chatham straits that are good for Steelhead? I spend every June and August in SE Alaska Saltwater fishing and sightseeing but I would REALLY like to add Steelhead to my repertoire. Any tips or spots would be greatly appreciated.

June is a little late - most steelhead have spawned and emigrated back to salt by then.

You might see a few kelts hanging around in early june, but they aren't really sport-worthy at that time and should probably just be left alone.

Peak freshwater population for Northern SE steelhead is generally the second week in May.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    June is a little late - most steelhead have spawned and emigrated back to salt by then.

You might see a few kelts hanging around in early june, but they aren't really sport-worthy at that time and should probably just be left alone.

Peak freshwater population for Northern SE steelhead is generally the second week in May.
    ok in that case would you be able to tell me what other good eating species are abundant in June? Im gonna be all over the Juneau, Icy, Glacier Bay, Baranof areas

Dollies and early sockeye are what you find in northern SE freshwater in June - dollies are pretty much everywhere, sockeye are limited to a few systems.

Given the run prediction for humpies in the upcoming year, I wouldn't be surprised if a fella caught a few freshwater pinks in June 2015

I'll agree. The steelhead fishing here begins mid-late April around peaks around the second week of May. Dollies will be your best bet on some easy to catch table fare. You will see them flipping around near river entrances on the flats, or in small bights and bays. Easy, and a blast to catch. Late June can be okay for Sockeye in a few rivers around here. The rivers vary, and some runs come early, and some come later. The trout will still be fairly lethargic in June, but you could probably do alright. with them.

I know this is the freshwater forum but if you want some good eating fish don't forget about rockfish or Lingcod. Black rockfish are very easy to catch, and in my opinion some of the better eating saltwater fish in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I'll agree. The steelhead fishing here begins mid-late April around peaks around the second week of May. Dollies will be your best bet on some easy to catch table fare. You will see them flipping around near river entrances on the flats, or in small bights and bays. Easy, and a blast to catch. Late June can be okay for Sockeye in a few rivers around here. The rivers vary, and some runs come early, and some come later. The trout will still be fairly lethargic in June, but you could probably do alright. with them.

I know this is the freshwater forum but if you want some good eating fish don't forget about rockfish or Lingcod. Black rockfish are very easy to catch, and in my opinion some of the better eating saltwater fish in AK.
    Man I'll tell you what Anything, I couldn't agree with you more on the Lingcod and Rockfish. My buddy here in Texas makes these purple squid bodies with 16 and 20 oz jig heads that just murders the Lingcod. Last year we really cleaned house, we were limiting in an hour or less. In the same spot, we were limiting on most species of the Rock within 3 or 4 hours. My personal favorite are the smaller sized Black Rockfish. I have heard though, that once I catch my first black cod, that will then be my favorite. I have tried deep dropping on multiple electric reels, so far haven't been able to locate them. I have seen it for sale in the stores up there, but didn't want to buy it. Im holding out to catch it myself. Which of the rivers are you talking about for the sockeye?

I always relate Black Cod to being the 'King Crab of fish". It's incredibly rich and oily, definitely one of my favorites. Marinaded in yoshidas and grilled is my favorite way of eating them. If you fish in a few hundred fathoms out in Chatham you will probably catch a few.

Lake Eva in Hanus Bay has a relatively early run of Sockeye, and is fairly close to Chatham. You might also try Sitkoh Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Trawlerman View Post
    Man I'll tell you what Anything, I couldn't agree with you more on the Lingcod and Rockfish. My buddy here in Texas makes these purple squid bodies with 16 and 20 oz jig heads that just murders the Lingcod. Last year we really cleaned house, we were limiting in an hour or less. In the same spot, we were limiting on most species of the Rock within 3 or 4 hours. My personal favorite are the smaller sized Black Rockfish. I have heard though, that once I catch my first black cod, that will then be my favorite. I have tried deep dropping on multiple electric reels, so far haven't been able to locate them. I have seen it for sale in the stores up there, but didn't want to buy it. Im holding out to catch it myself. Which of the rivers are you talking about for the sockeye?

I always relate Black Cod to being the 'King Crab of fish". It's incredibly rich and oily, definitely one of my favorites. Marinaded in yoshidas and grilled is my favorite way of eating them. If you fish in a few hundred fathoms out in Chatham you will probably catch a few.

Lake Eva in Hanus Bay has a relatively early run of Sockeye, and is fairly close to Chatham. You might also try Sitkoh Bay.
    I tried to PM you about a fishing trip, but it said you had exceeded your storage.

I will clear out my inbox now. Should be able to now!

I will clear out my inbox now. Should be able to now!

PM Sent to your inbox

If you’rein Juneau there are sockeyes up windfall, its Wednesdays and Saturdays themonth of June, two small holes and a lot of people, but I've always enjoyed mytime there.