Thread: Safe place to snag a few clams?

Default Safe place to snag a few clams?

Can or will anyone share a few places to snag some clams in the Icy Strait or Chatham Strait area? I hear so much about PSP these days, it scares the daylight out of me, but it would be nice to catch a few to throw in the chowder. Any tips or spots would be greatly appreciated.

Without a laboratory test, there is no way to confirm that the clams you are harvesting in AK are ever totally safe. You are always potentially taking a risk. Bivalves always have the risk of containing PSP. That being said, Gaper clams (Horse clams) usually contain much less PSP than Butter Clams and other clams including Geoducks. As far as locations go; clams seem to be pretty prevalent around most beaches around here. I'de just pick a beach that looks good and give it a try. However, I personally don't like clams enough to go harvest them and risk getting sick. Your chance of getting PSP is greatly lower in the middle of winter; right now would be about the safest time. I would never even think about eating clams in the summer time. This link should be pretty helpful.

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/aku/akug98002.pdf

I read the thread, and its easily enough to change my mind about harvesting clams. I'll pick some up at the local grocery store in Juneau and pretend I caught them! Thanks for the help Anything,
    Matt

We used to get clams at low tide on the east side of Taku Inlet. Cockles and steamers. We were there near the 100 year low and filled buckets. Dungees too. Where the submarine power lines cross. (We put them in)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    We used to get clams at low tide on the east side of Taku Inlet. Cockles and steamers. We were there near the 100 year low and filled buckets. Dungees too. Where the submarine power lines cross. (We put them in)

What time in the year was that?

Stick to shrimp and crab. The clams were used by Natives to get rid of unwanted intruders.

Quote Originally Posted by Trawlerman View Post
    What time in the year was that?
    Late spring into the summer.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it