Thread: Alaska Squirrel tails?

Default Alaska Squirrel tails?

So I am going to be making some Mepps type spinners with the wire former I got for christmas.
    I know that Mepps claims squirrel tail is the best hair to dress a spinner with.
    I have a coworker from Texas who is going to get me a few bigger squirrel tails.
    But I was wondering if any forum members have used the tails from Alaska red squirrels?
    My stepson wants to harvest a few and he wants to try eating them so I will not be harvesting them just for the tails.
    I'm hoping the hair is long enough to work well for what I want to do.
    I have started tying my own Bucktail and have all the neccessary tools to dress the hooks so figured why not tie a few with Alaska squirrel tails.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    But I was wondering if any forum members have used the tails from Alaska red squirrels?
    Sure. They're pretty small and the hair is shorter than other squirrels, but you can get a few Mepps or streamers out of a tail. For bigger flies and Mepps you'll probably need those Texas tails.

Just be sure tails dry real well after you cut them off and before you put them in a storage container. Rotten squirrel tail will get you and your fly tying gear tossed out of the house in one big hurry!

One practical point in working with squirrel tail of any type: The hair is really slick and doesn't compress at all like deer hair. Without extra measures, it will pull right out of the head after you finish the tie. The trick is to pause a moment after you've tied it in and trimmed the butts, and add a drop of head cement to the butts before you finish shaping the head. Even better is a drop of crazy glue.

I normally use Sally Hansens hard as nails as head cement.
    But i do have plenty of super glue if need be.

Either should work fine, depending on the details of how you wrap the thread. I'd try the Hansen first, and move on the super glue if you still get some slip. Slipping squirrel tail used to make me kinda goofy until someone showed me the glue/cement trick.

Sounds like a squirrel hunt is in the plans for my stepson.
    If they are still out and about this year.
    I will definetly try some out and post some pics.
    I have all the other components on order so when I get off the slope Tuesday they should be waiting for me.

How is your squirrel population around Kasilof this year? This is the first year I can remember where I've not had a single squirrel around my property (south of Soldotna). In fact, this year I can say that I didn't see a single small game critter around my place. Not a squirrel or a hare or even a grouse. Lots of ravens and eagles. Zero game birds. I've not seen any come in close to residences, but last winter there were signs of a lot of coyote activity back in the untamed forest and swamps behind me. Wondering if the increasing predator count has brought us to the bottom of the small game cycle.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    This is the first year I can remember where I've not had a single squirrel around my property (south of Soldotna).
    Nuther possibility, on the squirrels at least. Have any neighbors recently installed bird feeders?

We used to be overrun with the little troublemakers, and I got in lots of practice with my pellet rifle. We've seen only one since our neighbor (200 yards away) put in feeders. Now HE's the one getting all the rifle time.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    How is your squirrel population around Kasilof this year? This is the first year I can remember where I've not had a single squirrel around my property (south of Soldotna). In fact, this year I can say that I didn't see a single small game critter around my place. Not a squirrel or a hare or even a grouse. Lots of ravens and eagles. Zero game birds. I've not seen any come in close to residences, but last winter there were signs of a lot of coyote activity back in the untamed forest and swamps behind me. Wondering if the increasing predator count has brought us to the bottom of the small game cycle.
    I moved to Soldotna so I'm not sure.
    My dad seems to have plenty of them but he has a bird feeder.
    My parents are snowbirding this winter so the squirrels are likely starving around his place right now.
    I'm sure ill find a couple of them someplace.

I watched a youtube video on tying squirrel tail dresings on a treble hook.
    He used a lot of head cement throughout the process. It makes sense knowing what I know now. Thanks brownBear!

Shoot me a pm

kasilofchrisn
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    Shoot me a pm

Kasilofchrisn I tried to pm you i don,t know if it worked ,i have a few tails if you want them.

I got it.
    Just flew home from the slope yesterday so I was busy.
    I'll reply to your pm now.

Well thanks to Outdoor1 I got a few Alaska squirrel tails to play with.
    Had to rewatch the YouTube video after messing up on the first three.
    http://youtu.be/djReRqrMPKY
    But it worked out OK on the next two.
    I used a small tip of red saddle hackle under the squirrel tail just because.
    As soon as the core shafts come in I will cast and paint the spinner bodies and them I can use the wire former and parts on hand to complete the spinners.

Looks good it will be neat to see those finished,they ought to work well i will have more next year.