Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pellet rifles

Default pellet rifles

Does anyone have any experience with pellet rifles? brands? 800 fps vs 1400 fps? I'm concidering on buying one but don't know anything about which ones are good and which ones I should stay away from. rifle is for me not a kid, at least not yet.

RWS....VERY nice but pretty spendy: http://www.umarexusa.com/RWS-Air-Rifles.html

I've heard some pretty good things about some of the Gamo rifles as well..... Lots to choose from and decent prices: http://www.gamousa.com/

Believe it or not I'm still shooting a 40 year old Benjamin 22cal pump. It's killed it's share for sure......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Beeman R7 for me. It's 177 and 800fps, but doesn't seem to matter. When you can shoot 1/4" groups at 50', good hits do the job. Tried the ultrafasts and yawned. Just didn't offer me anything extra, meanwhile they're so darned noisy I'd be divorced if I shot them in the house. Meanwhile I shoot the R7 all the time and my wife joins in the fun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I considered against them.

I tried a 177, (some off the wall brand), and thought it lacked power, and accuracy. (I would have preferred a 22 Cal.)

They're so blamed HEAVY.

Ya gotta cock/Pump them up every shot.

??? Which Brand???

All things considered, I'm not in the market.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I Shoot an RWS. It's definitely not light, but it's plenty powerful and accurate.

the old pumpmaster .177 is a great bbgun. ive killed lots with one since the 70's and some long range shots even that were suprizing. will shoot pellets or bbs
    Semper Fi!

RWS does cost more, but they are quality rifles. .177 for paper punching. For small game, go with a .22 over the 177. The extra pellet weight makes a difference downrange.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    .177 for paper punching.
    sounds like someone needs to brush up on their shooting skills.
    Semper Fi!

I picked up a little pump it up cheapie $50.00 at chimps a few years ago, .177, it's suprisingly accurate out to 50 yards with pellets, not so much with BB's.

Thanks guys, going to the range isn't always an option when I want trigger time and the neighbors are a little close. thought I'd try something different.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I use a gamo .177 daily, everyone of them have scope creek. I think high velocity is too much for scope mounts. Other than that they are deadly on weasels and squirrels.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

"scope creek"? What?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

My scope is jolted all the way back and has to be re adjusted/set, both my gamos have done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    "scope creek"? What?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Oh, scope "creep".

I bought the Beeman switch barrel a couple years ago and I use it mostly with the 22 Barrel. It has fair punch to about 50yds but accuracy is only about 1" at 20yds with the pellets it likes best.

I have the gamo whisper in 22 cal. I has a heck of a punch for a pellet gun and is pretty accurate.If i had to do it again i would make sure and get a rifle with the nitro piston. The biggest problem is the cold affecting the spring, depending on how cold it is the velosity drops enough to make it a couple inches low at 30yds. I keep mine outside for that reason. I also hated the trigge but found a better trigger group to put in it.

I would go with the RWS 34 Pro Compact. My son has the pump 392 Benjamin and it's great, and I have a HW95 that is really nice, but if you want really good quality, a great trigger, light weight (for a springer) accuracy, etc... you can't do better $ for $ than the RWS 34 pro compact, for dealers try Airguns of Arizona or Pyramid Air.

Airgun trajectories and ranges for hunting are limited to less than 50 yards (more like less than 40 yards in most cases) and the pellets have very low sectional densities and ballistic coefficients, so the compromises between .177, .20, & .22 are noticeable to say the least. With the RWS 34 however you can shoot heavier .177 good enough that they are really close to the heavier calibers in energy and much better in drop. But you really can't go wrong you'll just adjust to what you go with.

You may look into shooting Aguila Super Colibri .22LR instead though, it has no powder just a primer and can be safely shot indoors with a proper bullet trap. A 22LR is far more versatile than an air rifle and even with the colibri ammo it's basically doing exactly what a 22 caliber air rifle does.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I bought a 177 gamo rifle to use on birds and small game. We weren't able to get the stock scope to zero, but without the scope, the gun is pretty accurate out to 30 yds, which is as far as I have shot it. I bought it b/c of the availability of pellets. I can order them online and not pay an arm and leg to get them to the village.

15 years ago I bought a limited edition Beeman 177 caliber air rifle with a laminated blue wood stock. It was really made by RWS.
    It can hit a soda can at 40 yards. I have chronographed the pellets and they are running over 1,100 fps.
    I have shot a few spruce hens & bunnies with it, plus a few of my own chickens. The 177 caliber pellet zipped right through with minimal damage.

I would recommend at least a 22 or 25 caliber pellet for critters Or buy one of the larger 9mm ( or 45) pellet rifles that use a pressure tank. They actuality work...

My overpriced 177 is now only occasionally used for target practice when the grand kids show up. I should sell the darn thing to make room.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I am not real familiar with the pre-charged air rifles but all the reviews praise the accuracy power of these guns. They also come in many calibers all the way up to 45. They can be spendy but as an alternative to powder charge they might be worth while to some one. Would love to handle one and try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast