Thread: 45-70 Revolver!!!!

Default 45-70 Revolver!!!!

That looks like a lot of fun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnYNlEN_z0

My first attempt atattaching a link. FAIL!! How do you guys do that and pictures?

Years ago I saw a BFR 45-70 sitting in the gun case at a LGS. I kind of shook my head a chuckled. Well, a couple years later I ran in to a guy that had one at the range. I didn't get to shoot it but did get to fondle it a while. It felt surprisingly good. I didn't feel as big and clunky as it looked. I'd sure like to have shot it. 45-70's a low pressure round. In a gun that size it's probably a lot more pleasant to shoot than my 4" 454 Redhawk.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I think a .445 SuperMag would be a better choice. I love mine. A great 200 yard moose gun.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think a .445 SuperMag would be a better choice. I love mine. A great 200 yard moose gun.
    Never heard of that. Its not even in my load data books. Maybe you can post a picture or two with rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I've got a bag of new 445 brass lying around somewhere if you're interested.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I've got a bag of new 445 brass lying around somewhere if you're interested.
    Sure,. Send me a PM with the info.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I own the Magnum Research BFR (Big Fine Revolver they claim, but I question if 'Fine' is the word they had in mind) .45-70, and it is fun gun honestly. She lifts pretty **** quick, but does not pound like other similar calibers in a handgun. I've had it for around 13 years now, and a lot of people have shot it - their eyes always get real wide when they see it, and are a little intimidated to pull the trigger at first, but with the smaller round like the 325gr leverevolution rounds, she's **** accurate and a 'pleasure' to shoot (based on what is expected I guess). I use to carry it when I lived on Kodiak when fishing, and in a chest holster under waders it's fairly easy to draw quickly (as long as your arms are long enough)- you kind of feel like the joker in the first Batman movie when you pull her out. I give her a thumbs up and don't plan on getting rid of her- named her Lucifer, but because of appearance only- all guns should have a name.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

I saw a matched pair of 45.70 six guns about 20 years ago at a gun shop in Newberry Michigan. Had not even had the cylinders rotated( or so they said). and they wanted a fortune for them. Cant remember the brand though.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Good, a very entertaining shooter, but that gun looked like a POS compared to the BFR Version.

We have a poster on here that calls himself, "bfrshooter".

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have bid on several of them on gunbroker but never been able to land one. I have never paid retail price for anything on gunbroker and I won't. In this part of the world it would be a novelty to have one and it would go well with my 1895 ported guide gun( a novelty in and of itself). 8 grains of Titegroup and a cotton ball stuffed in on top of it to hold the powder next to the primer followed by a one of my home cooked wheel weight converted 350 grain boolits makes for a fun plinking load in that little guide gun that kicks like a 410. It would work well in a revolver too. I would stiffen them up some to around 1200 fps and shoot deer with it. I'm guessing that is about the same KO that Buffalo Bill dipstick shot 10,000 American bison with.

Now I gotta go wander on gunbroker some more. Ya got my thing for one of them BFR's all festered up again!

SNYD; A 325 grainer on top of a stiff load of Lil'gun is a way big handful in my 4 & 5/8 inch Super Blackhawk 44. I'm betting that a load of the same power range out of the BFR 45-70 would kick a lot less.........maybe! Some things a feller just shouldn't leave to wonder until as Will would say"we make the full circle and become a turd in the woods" or something like that!

Have 2 BFR revolvers, 45-70 7.5" and a 500 s&w 10" model. Load down the 500 to 1100 fps shooting a 440 cast bullet, mild recoil, hits the steel target with a noticeable report. So does the 45-70 revolver. Have not loaded for it as shells are plentiful around here, have 5 boxes, enough for me. IN law shot a bison in the henry mountains this year, have become fond of bison meat. Worth getting if you can get the permit to harvest one. BFR revolvers worth getting, beware, they are addicting, and have set sights for a 480 rugger BFR , when feasible. Unless a 50 AE shows up. Enough of my ranting.

My favorite BFR -- the .500 JRH. All of the horsepower you would want, and incredibly accurate:

The .45/70 BFRs I have shot have all been pretty accurate, and even loaded hot I have never found them to be objectionable as far as recoil is concerned. Nice revolvers.

You guys got my attention with this. If one were to buy one of these, what's the consensus on barrel length for the 45/70, 10" or 7.5"?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    You guys got my attention with this. If one were to buy one of these, what's the consensus on barrel length for the 45/70, 10" or 7.5"?
    I'd opt for about 18 inches with a stock attached

Not a large bore handgun kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    10" much trouble with powders to burn with shorter and only one powder has worked. SR4759. Most accurate revolver I own with 1" targets at 100 yards in trouble.
    Whitworth has shot mine and he loves it. I too love the .500 JRH but the 45-70 was the revolver I shot a 2-1/2" group at 500 yards with from Creedmore.
    I will never know why I bought the 45-70 but I have everything for the caliber and never knew the problems with the short 10" barrel and it was a heck of a job. But I got it to work and you have to wait until I die to bid on it. I have loads for a lot of boolits.