Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS - best cell phone coverage

Default PWS - best cell phone coverage

Wondering if anyone knows which cell service works best in prince william sound…… We have AT&T and had spotty coverage around knight island and good coverage in whittier… Anyone have experience with Verizon? Thanks

If you had scrolled down and you would have found this.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Cell-coverage
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

As of summer of 2014 the answer is AT&T. You'll want to stick with them until some one puts up a new tower.

Actually, the only cell service in PWS is Copper Valley on old school networks (CDMA). If you're close to the ports, you'll get average to poor EDGE service with GCI, ACS, AT&T, et al. If you need to voice communicate out of PWS, you can buy a CV phone or a Sat phone. That's pretty much your only options. None of the major cell carriers and no smartypantsfones are going to work beyond line of sight to a port with cell towers.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Actually, the only cell service in PWS is Copper Valley on old school networks (CDMA). If you're close to the ports, you'll get average to poor EDGE service with GCI, ACS, AT&T, et al. If you need to voice communicate out of PWS, you can buy a CV phone or a Sat phone. That's pretty much your only options. None of the major cell carriers and no smartypantsfones are going to work beyond line of sight to a port with cell towers.
    Not totally true. I had 4g on naked island this year. That's not exactly close to any particular port. I have at&t
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Not totally true. I had 4g on naked island this year. That's not exactly close to any particular port. I have at&t
    Yep, my friend posted a pic of the fish he caught to Facebook on at&t last summer, this was near the Dutch Group islands. I have GCI which doesn't work outside of Passage Canal. The towers on Naked and Chenega will show up as emergency use only on my GCI phone but I wouldn't count on that actually working.

It looks like Cordova wireless is the way to go if you are picking a local provider. They have a tower on Naked Is and new service in Port Wells via a tower at Pigot Point. They say they allow you to roam with at&t phone.

http://www.ctcak.net/images/cwc%20fu...ge%20FINAL.png

http://www.ctcak.net/Pt-Pigot-Press-Release.pdf

A friend gets outstanding coverage with his Verizon phone. This includes 4G service. They have even been able to stream Pandora and use Netflix. I just switched from ACS to Verizon. My ACS phone was a 4G phone only and would not work once I rounded Decision Point. In years past, I used an older ACS phone with an external antenna. I got coverage all over the Sound. Being able to stream Pandora out there would be a nice option.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

WOW. Good to know. Having Pandora would be great.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I believe Verizon and Cordova wireless have a roaming agreement.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thats what i was looking to switch too….ATT is spotty and was hoping verizon would be better…. How far out were you getting verizon coverage? ……Thanks everyone for the responses..

I'm resurrecting this thread with hopes for some new info. My GCI contract is up and I'm looking to switch to a carrier that will give me good coverage on the Sound. Is At&t any good? Anybody on the new Verizon service get coverage last summer?

I have AT&T and my coverage outside of the Valdez narrows blows. A friend of mine has a Verizon phone and he has great service where I cant get one bar. My understanding is that Verizon and Copper Valley have a service agreement for their towers. My next phone will be Verizon...

It's tough to make good comparisons without two similar phones at the same place at the same time. Sometimes I get great voice and text service on my AT&T phone at my deer hunting spot on Monty. Other days it is completely nonexistent. Weather is a big factor over those distances. I'll watch my phone while going from Monty into Whittier and see that I pass through coverage a few times before entering passage canal and not always in the same places. If you really need communication then sat phones are probably the best option.

I've also seen different types of phones perform differently at the same place and time and on the same network. Back when I was rocking a Motorola flip phone it did much better then the iphones of that era. Now it seems like my current Samsung Android phone doesn't work quite as well as the newer iphones. When the iphones show that they have a signal they are more likely to actually work. The Samsung will show a signal more often but won't always work when it does.

I had ACS before they were bought out by GCI and I used to be able to get cell reception out around Naked Island...but not anymore. I sent an email to GCI's customer service asking why this occurred and if it was going to be available out there in the future but got no reply

(how's that for "customer service"?)
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

AT&T put an antenna on Naked three years ago. It works good for line of sight within 15 miles or so.

I spend my summers in PWS gillnetting. I have a wilson 4g cell booster on my boat and I have a Droid turbo phone. With this combo there is very few spots that I don't get at least 3 bars of 4g service. Before the Droid I had a Iphone and it sucked. My buddies would be listing to Pandora on their Droids while I could hardly text on my Iphone so my next phone was a Droid. Now I listen to pandora and play on Facebook all summer. I had to up my data plan with this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    I spend my summers in PWS gillnetting. I have a wilson 4g cell booster on my boat and I have a Droid turbo phone. With this combo there is very few spots that I don't get at least 3 bars of 4g service. Before the Droid I had a Iphone and it sucked. My buddies would be listing to Pandora on their Droids while I could hardly text on my Iphone so my next phone was a Droid. Now I listen to pandora and play on Facebook all summer. I had to up my data plan with this combo.
    Which cell provider do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Which cell provider do you use?

whoops I forgot that info. Verizon. They have been very good to me. I dropped my phone in the Whittier Harbor a couple months ago and they had a replacement FedExed to me by noon the next day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast