Thread: What's your feelings about the BLR/

Default What's your feelings about the BLR/

I recently bought one new, because it was on sale. I am not sure I am going to keep it, but it is growing on me- even if it is in .300 WM, a chambering I don't really care for. Last night I was playing with it, and I discovered the nifty hammer safety (no, I never read the manuals), and I liked it a little bit more.
    Who owns one of these rifles and what do you think about it? Until I bought one, my only opinion of them was, "Hey, it's ALMOST like a Savage 99 with a hammer.".

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I recently bought one new, because it was on sale. I am not sure I am going to keep it, but it is growing on me- even if it is in .300 WM, a chambering I don't really care for. Last night I was playing with it, and I discovered the nifty hammer safety (no, I never read the manuals), and I liked it a little bit more.
    Who owns one of these rifles and what do you think about it? Until I bought one, my only opinion of them was, "Hey, it's ALMOST like a Savage 99 with a hammer.".
    Ha.....I was gonna say it's almost like a 99. Fact is I had a 99 and sold it. Loved the look and feel of the rifle, but never liked the trigger that I was told couldn't be adjusted. How does the trigger seem on the BLR...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Had one in 308 from Belgium it was a very nice little rifle.Liked it better than my pre 64 mod.88 also in 308. Both long gone due to amount of money offered.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ha.....I was gonna say it's almost like a 99. Fact is I had a 99 and sold it. Loved the look and feel of the rifle, but never liked the trigger that I was told couldn't be adjusted. How does the trigger seem on the BLR...???
    Triggers vary on 99s. The trigger on this BLR is very two stage-ish. It'll take some getting used to.

Had many and like um lots. What you have is a model 81, comes in long and short action as well as take-down. Triggers usuley suck on BLRs (as well as Savage 99s and Winchester 88s) and most folks will say nothing can be done to them, even most smiths. Bull pucky, they are all capable of being made into a good crisp trigger but it takes some time to figure out how. I've fixed a bunch of them now, no harder than any other once you learn how.

The older Jap and Belgium guns (short action only) were a little more elegant gun and usually had pretty slick actions. The 81s usuley feel like your grinding rocks with the action largely due to poor finish on the 81s star shaped bolt (older bolts were round) but they can be slicked right up.

The biggest draw back to any of these levers is that they have no extraction cam like a bolt action does. On the upper end of pressure where a bolt action would give sticky bolt lift from extracting the case with the cam these levers give near imposable lever operation. So you got to watch your ammo in them and test it well in your rifle before heading to the woods.

I have a new 7mmWM model 81 take off barrel from turning one 458wm if you want to dump the 300wm and go 7mm, or I can make you a new pie in any of the WM calibers. (I think 7mmWM is the best WM myself) They are all good rifles ifin you ask me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The plot thickens: I have a guy who wants to trade me for a 99 in .375 Win. It is almost new... but then, where can I get brass? He does have 50 pieces, but I'm a shooter, not a collector.

The plot thickens: I have a guy who wants to trade me for a 99 in .375 Win. It is almost new... but then, where can I get brass? He does have 50 pieces, but I'm a shooter, not a collector.
    You can fire form from 30-30, I'm told it will have a short neck but will work.

Or Google 357 Winchester brass.
    http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/winu375w.htm
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You can fire form from 30-30, it will have a short neck but will work.

Or Google 357 Winchester brass.
    http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/winu375w.htm
    Thanks Andy. Those reworked 30.30 need to be loaded down due to thinner brass, right?

Thanks Andy. Those reworked 30.30 need to be loaded down due to thinner brass, right?
    Some say so but with something like modern brass like Starine/Federal I don't see why, the don't form them any different. Now in a re-cut model 94 30-30 that is now a 375 you back off the pressure because of the gun, in a 99 the limitations of the gun are not an issue. In fact 30-30 in a 99 or bolt action can be loaded to a whole other class all together in that 30-30 brass.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Some say so but with something like modern brass like Starine/Federal I don't see why, the don't form them any different. Now in a re-cut model 94 30-30 that is now a 375 you back off the pressure because of the gun, in a 99 the limitations of the gun are not an issue. In fact 30-30 in a 99 or bolt action can be loaded to a whole other class all together in that 30-30 brass.
    Sounds encouraging. I think I'll close that deal on the 99/.375.

Just FYI, Neil Jones in PA has an excellent reputation for working on BLR triggers, if you're willing to do some shipping. I've spoken with folks who have had him do adjustments, and all reports are that it's well worth the time and expense if you're planning on hanging on to the rifle long term.

http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Just FYI, Neil Jones in PA has an excellent reputation for working on BLR triggers, if you're willing to do some shipping. I've spoken with folks who have had him do adjustments, and all reports are that it's well worth the time and expense if you're planning on hanging on to the rifle long term.

http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html
    Yea he and I are about the only ones that work on BLR triggers. I've done many for AOD members on here.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yea he and I are about the only ones that work on BLR triggers. I've done many for AOD members on here.
    Hope I didn't step on any toes, Andy. Good to know there's someone local who will work on those triggers, when it comes time for me to get mine...

BTW, I've heard the short action BLRs run much smoother than the long action. Any truth to that in your experience? I've considered getting one in 30-06, but am wondering if it's better to stick with a .300 wsm or possibly .308?

Sounds encouraging. I think I'll close that deal on the 99/.375.
    Definitely......if the 300 doesn't trip your trigger, I know from your other posts that a 99 in any caliber will. If you wanna come try it out on deer send me a pm......I've got a lyman peep coming for my 300 savage and a scheduled cerakote job on mine and it will be my deer rifle for the forseeable future.

Catch It- I'm pretty sure I would hold onto that BLR if it was in a short action or even a different long action chambering.
    I would love to hunt black tail again. Loved doing that when I lived in Sitka. Thanks for the invite, but that would be some expensive meat by the time I got it back home
    I enjoy the peep on my .300 Sav. a lot. I find it much easier to center the rifle than with the stock rear sight. I'm not sure what I'll do on this 99A, though it is tapped for a scope. I put a 4x "Pig Plex" Leupy on my .358 and like it.

sayak;,,,, FWIW, I've been shooting a 336 in .375 Win. since about 1979 or there abouts, I've still got some Win. Factory 250gr Loads, but for off the shelf Ammo, the Big-3 still make 38-55 255gr loads, and some 200gr Loads as well, Load um-up and shoot-um, they work just "Fine".

Attachment 82589

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't recall examining the BLR closely.

Isn't it true that the whole blame trigger assembly pops out along with the lever, rather than away from it, because it's mounted on the lever?

That is a little disconcerting to me, but no-one mentions it. They tend to focus on the Gears in there.

SOTN

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Isn't it true that the whole blame trigger assembly pops out along with the lever, rather than away from it, because it's mounted on the lever?

That is a little disconcerting to me, but no-one mentions it. They tend to focus on the Gears in there.

SOTN

SOTN
    Yes, it does indeed. It is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

SOTN
    Not the whole assembly, just the trigger itself is in the lever. When the lever is closed the trigger pushes on a simple cam lobe on the seer, no magic, voodoo or anything any different than many auto pistols cam the firing pin block open only when the slide is closed.

Now the Win 88 the whole thing is in the lever, even the hammer comes down with the lever.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Now the Win 88 the whole thing is in the lever, even the hammer comes down with the lever.
    I usta like those 88s. The claim was they had a bolt that was operated by a lever, and a one piece stock for accuracy. That sounded good, but once when I was examining one, I somehow caught a finger in the lever somehow, and after that I lost interest.

It's a shame, that some of these old guns are not manufactured anymore, and they become scarce and super expensive.

S&W is now making some of their older model revolvers. I dunno what the market is for them.

I checked out a Henry LA 30-30 today. It wasn't half bad. I don't think it was that heavy either. They function something like a Marlin.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.