Thread: kodiak fox

Default kodiak fox

Does anyone know the best way to hunt the foxes on kodiak? would you use a predator call or what? Would anyone know anygood bays close to kodiak that you could hike up and shoot a few deer? Any help is appreciated.

road system limit for deer is only one, so your not gonna hike and shoot a "few" deer, but pasagshak bay has some good deer on the mountains around it, fox in there as well. pred calls work great for the fox, so does working up and down salmon streams early in the day, they wander those alot too.
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Default Predator calls work for bears too

Predator calls do work well when the conditions are right....when the fox are hungry or curious. Keep in mind that the brown bears may also respond to a predator call if you're calling before they den up. I've called in fox, but I've also been spooked when a bear responded and I was "uncomfortable" with my 10/22 laying across my lap. That was back when I had just arrived in Alaska, and I'm a little bit smarter now.

When calling, I recommend doing so from a vantage point that gives you a good view of the terrain around you. Gives you a little more time to shift gears if you've called in the wrong predator. Doesn't hurt to take a backup gun either. I now use a .223 for fox, but that sure isn't a bear gun.

Good luck.

Default Kodiak deer and fox

The one place on Kodiak you might walk in and take a few deer off the road system is Saltery Cove. You need to be able to get there tho. Used to be a dicey 4x4 drive, but I've heard it's a lot worse now so may only be accessable by ATV. The only problem is, the locals use it extensively and take ATV's across Saltery Creek so you may have trouble finding deer within walking distance. When I used to do it, we'd drive a truck out to the lodge area, park, cross the creek and walk up to the mountains that cross over to Terror Bay. I wouldn't recommend taking more than one deer at a time there tho. It's a long pack.

You used to be able to hike in and be legal off the Antone Larsen Bay road near the airport. But since they changed the boundry line from Crag Point to the head of Sharatine Bay, that's out.

As for foxes, spend some time along the beaches at low tide, especially in the mornings or evenings and you should see some foxes eventually. They come out and feed on clams and mussels and whatever else they can find.

Default Foxes galore

If you like fox hunting, I've never been to a place with better numbers and fur quality.
    Late October and early November with a predator call should be the ticket. As was said, watch for the bears.
    Btw: One can almost always tell when a Kodiak bear comes into camp in the evenings, usually there is a whining, bawling fox with the beast. Nothing like that fox bawling! Sends chills down the spine....

Frank

Default thanks

Ya we have used predator calls for the wolves on POW and it works alright, the biggest pack we called in was a pack of 7, got a few. But we only have black bears there which isn't quite as scary as a kodiak giant brown bear, lol . Ya I will definately have to try the call for foxes.
    thanks for the deer hunting info too, would you rate the deer hunting on kodiak better or worse than near POW in SE AK? do the deer get bigger antlers on kodiak or are they about the same?

Hunter