Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Shirt Lake Ice Fishing

Default Red Shirt Lake Ice Fishing

Anyone know what the trail is like out to Red Shirt Lake? Is it safe for snow machining? Are there any spots along the trail where thin ice might be a hazard? Is there enough snow to snow machine into? Also, not related to snow machining, but does anyone know the condition of Red Shirt Lake Cabin #1? My family and I were thinking about renting it for New Year's, but the website says that they are going to rebuild it in January some time. It is still available to rent for another week or so, but I have never stayed in it so I wasn't sure if it was still in decent condition or not. Also, I have stayed in the cabins in the summer but never in the winter, so should I bring out my own firewood or is there usually enough out there? Thanks everyone and Happy New Year's.

A trooper told me there was about 18" of snow in the Nancy lake area so I bet you are fine. I'd be really careful where the creek runs in on the left hand side a few miles in (can't remember the name). Personally I'd wait another week or so before going out there, that's a deep lake there may not be good ice everywhere.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    A trooper told me there was about 18" of snow in the Nancy lake area so I bet you are fine. I'd be really careful where the creek runs in on the left hand side a few miles in (can't remember the name). Personally I'd wait another week or so before going out there, that's a deep lake there may not be good ice everywhere.
    Thanks Pike palace. Are you talking about Lynx Creek? I think we would take the East Redshirt trail. I believe that is the only trail open to snow machines right now. The regular winter trail is closed due to a lack of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks Pike palace. Are you talking about Lynx Creek? I think we would take the East Redshirt trail. I believe that is the only trail open to snow machines right now. The regular winter trail is closed due to a lack of snow.
    Yes I think that is it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Super warm weather has not affected the willow area as much as the Palmer/Wasilla area. We've had very few days above freezing, with most in the teens and twenties.

Went in to red shirt today, 12 tip ups, 4 guys jigging, 2 cameras. 0, yup zero fish. Beautiful day, we fishing the north end of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What depths were you fishing? I have noticed any depth more the 8 feet under the ice with no weed doesn't produce pike at Redshirt for me. What I have found out that about 5 feet with weeds is good and consistently gets action. Gravel bottoms and shallow on a certain part of the lake and certain times will produce burbot but you have to find the gravel on the correct side of the lake to get the bigger ones. I have found burbot over 35 inches in certain spots. Also it helps like any fishing is how well you preserve your bait in the summer and the presentation you leave those tip ups in the water column. People seem to always say lynx creek outlet but I have never caught a fish there and seems where all the holes are. I hardly fish around there ever.

Iíll be backout there Friday through Sunday at PUC #2. Iím bringing my tip-ups and Iím goingto fish around the area a bit.
    We fished from3-10 feet, mostly gravel bottom. The Shallower lines had some weeds on thebottom. What depth do you target burbotat in Red Shirt? 10-20 FOW?

Ice hunter what is your preferred burbot bait? I am just trying to get as much info as I can before my kid and I make a determined effort on burbot, hopefully in the next month or two. Any general tips would be great.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

We used herring last weekend and killed them. Not at red shirt though

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

We normally use hooligan though

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Lamprey is the best bait for burbot, if you can find it.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Anyone headed to red shirt this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit red shirt over the weekend with disappointing results...2 flags all day in my "best" spot...not good.

How was the trail? Much overflow?

No overflow. Snows getting soft though. If this weather keeps up just a matter of time.

Thanks for the information. Kicking around the idea of heading out there Saturday or Sunday.

I'll be there tomorrow spearing and tip ups all over.

I went Saturday, the lake is starting to get overflow, if this keeps up it will be bad. Weather was pouring rain all day. Saw two people digging machines out. Caught Fish

Digging up an old thread, anyone been out to the lake recently? I have never been and was going to check it out this weekend. I'm planning on taking the East trail that is open to snowmachines. Any word on the condition of the trail?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast