Thread: Red Shirt Lake East Trail

Default Red Shirt Lake East Trail

Anyone know what the trail is like out to Red Shirt Lake? Is it safe for snow machining? Are there any spots along the trail where thin ice might be a hazard? Is there enough snow to snow machine into? Also, not related to snow machining, but does anyone know the condition of Red Shirt Lake Cabin #1? My family and I were thinking about renting it for New Year's, but the website says that they are going to rebuild it in January some time. It is still available to rent for another week or so, but I have never stayed in it so I wasn't sure if it was still in decent condition or not. Also, I have stayed in the cabins in the summer but never in the winter, so should I bring out my own firewood or is there usually enough out there? Thanks everyone and Happy New Year's.

Red Shirt lake winter trail as of the last posting dated 18 Dec shows it closed, last updated 22 Dec.

East Red Shirt is open.

They are showing 8.5" of uncompressed snow. They require 12" compressed(I think) to open. So maybe this garbage passing thru here in Anchorville tonight will give them enough to open next week.

Link to NLRA trail conditions......always call before you go. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/curevnts.htm

Also can check here for updates.......http://anchoragesnowmobileclub.com/trail-reports/

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Red Shirt lake winter trail as of the last posting dated 18 Dec shows it closed, last updated 22 Dec.

East Red Shirt is open.

They are showing 8.5" of uncompressed snow. They require 12" compressed(I think) to open. So maybe this garbage passing thru here in Anchorville tonight will give them enough to open next week.

Link to NLRA trail conditions......always call before you go. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/curevnts.htm
    Thanks for the link and the advice Dupont Spinner. Very helpful. Do you know anything about that cabin I referred to? It is the one on the island closest to the west Redshirt summer trail

I was up at nancy cabin 3 last weekend I rode a few trails not red shirt east and they were good. I'm headed to a cabin the 9th/10th of January on red shirt so if you go report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushwack it looks like it is booked........check here........http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/C...ailability.cfm

Here where you can find the rest.....http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/matsu.htm#nlsra

Just do not want to see anyone get a ticket or worse, IMPOUNDED and made to pay for ground repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Bushwack it looks like it is booked........check here........http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/C...ailability.cfm

Here where you can find the rest.....http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/matsu.htm#nlsra

Just do not want to see anyone get a ticket or worse, IMPOUNDED and made to pay for ground repair.
    Well, according to the website you sent there is still one cabin available. It is the Red Shirt Cabin #1. It says it is available for Dec. 30, 31, and Jan 1. But it is going to be unavailable due to it being repaired starting Jan. 5. So I was just wondering what the repair was for and if it what safe to bring my family out there for a couple nights. I would hate to reserve the cabin and get all the way out there to find out there is a big hole in the roof or something of that nature. I am also concerned about thin ice. I know most of the lakes have 12 inches or more, but is it safe for snow machine travel and if I am bringing my wife and kids along. Thanks to anyone with some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Well, according to the website you sent there is still one cabin available. It is the Red Shirt Cabin #1. It says it is available for Dec. 30, 31, and Jan 1. But it is going to be unavailable due to it being repaired starting Jan. 5. So I was just wondering what the repair was for and if it what safe to bring my family out there for a couple nights. I would hate to reserve the cabin and get all the way out there to find out there is a big hole in the roof or something of that nature. I am also concerned about thin ice. I know most of the lakes have 12 inches or more, but is it safe for snow machine travel and if I am bringing my wife and kids along. Thanks to anyone with some advice.
    Oppps I looked at the Nancy lake cabin one not the Red Shirt one....take my rep point back. LOL.

When you call them ask them about sled travel in the Nancy Lake Recreational area. The website is generally well kept and accurate. Those traveling in the area with it not being officially opened are risking getting their equipment impounded and many times not just their sleds.

What I am afraid is going to happen is the rain they are calling for on Monday and Tuesday is gonna kill everything for New Years weekend riding.

As far as lake riding....most lakes have more then 12" of ice, but any lakes that may have a current, springs or some other oddity may not have good ice. Any place where the water is entering the lake or exiting the lake requires a wide berth.....but how wide is anyone's guess. Best bet would be to stay where everyone has been riding if you are not sure.

Bushwack if you find out ay different then what is posted...tell them update the site. Also if you are going to go let me know I may do a drive by and say hey.

I stayed in #1 this fall. Was there during that earthquake in fact. It wouldn't be a problem for a family. It is a large cabin without much for insulation and the stove is small. You will need your own firewood, but they had thinned the island and there was a little laying around (under snow now.) The outhouse was new and really nice.
    If the weather's cold, expect the cabin to be cool. Slippers would be nice, the floor was pretty ratty and uneven. Bring firewood and a little extra, lol. There were some good chairs and at least three bunkbeds.
    That earthquake shook that little island good, made waves on the lake and caused lots of gas bubbles to rise. The first shake I thought was just the stove taking off, until the second bigger one hit and shook the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    I stayed in #1 this fall. Was there during that earthquake in fact. It wouldn't be a problem for a family. It is a large cabin without much for insulation and the stove is small. You will need your own firewood, but they had thinned the island and there was a little laying around (under snow now.) The outhouse was new and really nice.
    If the weather's cold, expect the cabin to be cool. Slippers would be nice, the floor was pretty ratty and uneven. Bring firewood and a little extra, lol. There were some good chairs and at least three bunkbeds.
    That earthquake shook that little island good, made waves on the lake and caused lots of gas bubbles to rise. The first shake I thought was just the stove taking off, until the second bigger one hit and shook the trees.
    Thanks BTK! Great report! That must have been something to be out there with that earthquake. Good thing you didn't have a miniature tsunami out there on the island. Ha! ha!

Well, I got out to redshirt today so here is an update for anyone who is interested. I actually took the main winter trail. It just opened up today, but with this rain coming I wouldn't be surprised if it gets closed again. The park ranger actually returned my telephone call on Sunday. He was a real nice guy. Very informative. He told me that the reason why they were postponing opening the main winter trail that starts at South Rolly Lake is because there was a small patch of open water along the trail just past South Rolly Lake about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. The ranger re-routed the trail by cutting a path through the trees and he blocked off the existing trail with a rope, flagging tape and some signs. Anyhow, the trail was okay. On the lake the snow was perfect. Traveling through the forests and bogs the snow was probably about 6" most spots to 12" in some spots. The fishing was decent, hammer handles anyhow. I opted not to stay the night with my family because the forecast was calling for rain tomorrow. Good luck to anyone else going. Oh yeah and the ice was probably about 14-16" with about an inch of overflow on top and a foot of snow on top of that.

Thanks for the update

Bushwack when it comes to NLRA they are very good about getting folks the info needed. I will admit my first time trail encounter with the Rangers was not very pleasant many, many years ago but I learned to call them if I am not sure and I always seem to get an answer. May not be the one I am looking for but I get an answer.