Thread: Anyone driving out on Long Lake yet (Glen Highway)

Default Anyone driving out on Long Lake yet (Glen Highway)

Looking forward to some night time Burbot fishing on Long Lake. Any reports on ice thickness or if anyone has been out there yet in a truck.

When I drove by the lake on December 15, it was raining and there was lots of open water. I'm certain that there is no where near enough ice to drive on it yet. I'll be driving by again in 4 days, so I can give a visual status if no one has chimed in with measured ice data yet.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Watched a chevy 2500 drive out to the boulder yesterday on my drive back.
    though he was alittle brave but he made it out there okay.

There was 21" when we went on Monday. Saw a truck drive all the way across the lake and back. Did not go past the spot where it necks down by the rock.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Think I'll walk my fatass on the lake to be on the safe side. This winter really sucks... Watch it rain all summer to make up for the lack off snow and cold temps. BTW I have a diesel heavier then most.

Took a Supercrew out for quite a ways yesterday, punched 8 holes, all around 2 feet - you are more than ok.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

12 inches on the far side of the lake on Christmas day...fishing was slow though...stay away from the snow drifts and you should be fine...just got four inches of snow and we are looking to get more in the next couple of days. never seen it unsafe so late in the year. probably wont even put out my hardside this year.

It was good and people were driving on it Dec 24th when I was up there.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Is long lake more productive than Big Lake for you? I have tried big lake a few times now, no luck. Iím fishing between 10-18 FOW and sometimes there are weeds on the bottom (not ideal habitat). Should I try deeper to get out of the weed, grass? Is all Iím seeing are char on the camera. How do you identify an area you want to fish off a map? top/bottom of drop offs?

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    Looking forward to some night time Burbot fishing on Long Lake. Any reports on ice thickness or if anyone has been out there yet in a truck.

The majority of Burbot I pull out of Long Lake get released if they didn't swallow the hook just because of the size. Big Lake I found produces bigger fish and normally get them between 9pm and 2am in about 6 to 12 ft of water. I like to find a muddy or sandy bottom with little weed cover. As for identifying a good spot I do use the bathymetric maps, but relay a lot on punching holes and dropping the camera down until I find a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    The majority of Burbot I pull out of Long Lake get released if they didn't swallow the hook just because of the size. Big Lake I found produces bigger fish and normally get them between 9pm and 2am in about 6 to 12 ft of water. I like to find a muddy or sandy bottom with little weed cover. As for identifying a good spot I do use the bathymetric maps, but relay a lot on punching holes and dropping the camera down until I find a good spot.
    Thanks, I have only fished dusk till about 9 pm. I have used the bathymetric maps but always seem to find too many weeds. I'm gonna get back out and try later in the night. I looked and some places on the map today around some islands I may try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if anybody has a update on ice conditions. Me and a buddy from JBER are heading to big lake for the first time Friday and will either be walking or driving depending on conditions. If anyone has any tips of where to go we would be more than grateful! We are hoping to target everything from lakers to burbot and everything in between!

If you get an elusive big lake laker I will buy you a case of your favorite beer!!!

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Haha I know it's a long shot but hey you gotta try! Unless someone has somewhere else to try that's not a obserdly long ways to drive from anchorage.

I was up there two days last week, good ice. Good size truck pulling trailers on the ice roads. Depending on where your going no need to walk from the parking lot. I rode by saddleback island and no one has even been fishing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    If you get an elusive big lake laker I will buy you a case of your favorite beer!!!

Sent while partying

There are Lakers in Big Lake?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    There are Lakers in Big Lake?
    no , the lakes,big and long both have burbot. long has a few lakers , big lake no lakers , only char , rainbows, suckers ,and pike.sticklebacks,sculpin,..............

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post

Sent while partying

That's funny! Rep point sent. Too bad nobody else got the joke.