Thread: Changing sights on S&W 629 Mtn Gun

Default Changing sights on S&W 629 Mtn Gun

I've decided I could benefit from changing the sights on my S&W 629 Mountain Gun. The factory sights are all square black rear notch and black front ramp. Not the best for my aging eyes. Even a red ramp front sight would be better. But I think I'd prefer something like tritium dots or ??? I don't really need "night sights" but think they'd be easier to see and quicker for my eyes.

Two questions:

For those with experience with similar sights do you find them easier to see (particularly those of you with aging eye issues) and quicker to acquire a sight picture?

Recommendations for sights and a smith to do the work? (Yes I could do it but I'm in the middle of completing a workshop build and don't have the time or inclination right now.)

I have the aging eye problem too.

What works best for me, Black rear with a vertical white line below the center of the notch.

On the front, on some hand guns, I have a hi-viz green that I painted the rear dot white. It works better than the green for me.

Other hand guns I use the same rear with a gold bead front.

The rear sight is so fuzzed out I need the vertical white line. I can know longer see the gaps on the sides of the rear notch.

On my hunting hand guns I've had to go with a scope,

I've made the rear sights, just a groove with white paint.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Get yourself a bottle of "white out" for typewriters and some colored markers. Put some of the white out on the front sight. Try it white, then hit it with various colors. The white out will flick off easily with your thumbnail. Everyone's eyes are different, and this is sure an easy way to check your own eyes. The you'll know zackly what color you need.

BTW- I keep the white out with me any time I'm hunting with open sights, whether hangun, rifle or muzzleloader. Any time the light gets funky, I just smear a little dab on that front sight until the light improves. Priceless.

Installed a green fiber optic sight on the 629 that the wife shoots. She likes it real well. It is a lot easier to see, for most of her shooting.

Default Pistol sights

One common issue with most revolver rear sights is the notch is too narrow - there is not enough gap on the sides to center the front sight up quickly for those of us with tired old eyes. Pick up an extra rear sight blade and then opening yours up a bit with a fine Swiss file - most people are amazed at the change.

Take a look at the sights on a S&W 329 PD 4" next time you are in a gun store. The "V" rear notch and the glowing front sight is an interesting combination. Perhaps not as accurate as the old square notch, but quick to align and get on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    I've decided I could benefit from changing the sights on my S&W 629 Mountain Gun. The factory sights are all square black rear notch and black front ramp. Not the best for my aging eyes. Even a red ramp front sight would be better. But I think I'd prefer something like tritium dots or ??? I don't really need "night sights" but think they'd be easier to see and quicker for my eyes.

Two questions:

For those with experience with similar sights do you find them easier to see (particularly those of you with aging eye issues) and quicker to acquire a sight picture?

Recommendations for sights and a smith to do the work? (Yes I could do it but I'm in the middle of completing a workshop build and don't have the time or inclination right now.)
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for responding and for all the excellent suggestions!

If I ultimately do decide to change sights do any of you have suggestions for a smith?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Like tvfinak says.

If you have a wider notch in the rear sight, you'll be able to see it much better.

That works for me, and my eyes are as old as I am.

Nother thing that really helps is to put a dab of Yaller Luminous Paint on the front sight.

My Ruger MK III Hunter has a florescent front sight, and shallow V with a white mark rear. These sights work OK for me Outdoors, but not Indoors, like at the indoor range.

I've considered changing the sights to the square notch and post, as on the similar Ruger Target MK III. But, I'm thinking that the existing sights may have an advantage for hunting purposes. ?????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.