Thread: Anybody want some free turkey frying oil for your bait?

Default Anybody want some free turkey frying oil for your bait?

I got three gallons left over from deep frying turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas? It's still in pretty good shape, but my wife says she thinks we should get rid of it. I'm not planning on running a bait station this spring but if I was, I would totally use the oil as an attractant over dog food or whatever bait might be used. The stuff smells delicious and I can almost guarantee it will attract bears. The only question is what kind of bear. If you are interested send me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a call if it's not long distance.

Hope this isn't a foul, but at the risk of claim-jumping on Jack, I'll offer up my leftover turkey-fry oil as well. PM me.

Anyone on the KP with bait products can PM me. I'll be happy to pick them up. Thanks.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Hope this isn't a foul, but at the risk of claim-jumping on Jack, I'll offer up my leftover turkey-fry oil as well. PM me.
    No worries Mort. I'm just trying to help someone out like you are. If you are out in the valley, pm me. If you are in Anchorage, pm Mort.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Anyone on the KP with bait products can PM me. I'll be happy to pick them up. Thanks.
    Sorry cod, but unless you are willing to drive to Anchorage to meet Mort, or the valley to meet up with me you are out of luck on the turkey oil.

Being that you have to clean up your entire bait site each year, I'd find grease to be a pain in the butt. Curious to hear how those that are using it are able to clean up everything after the season. I've used it in the past, just not in AK. It works great but leaves a horrible mess that would require digging up the dirt and hauling it out if soiled... Just something to think about, correct me if I am wrong.

Nice gesture for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Being that you have to clean up your entire bait site each year, I'd find grease to be a pain in the butt. Curious to hear how those that are using it are able to clean up everything after the season. I've used it in the past, just not in AK. It works great but leaves a horrible mess that would require digging up the dirt and hauling it out if soiled... Just something to think about, correct me if I am wrong.

Nice gesture for sure.
    Most guys who bait up here put their bait in a 50 gal lock-ring barrel with a small 5 inch hole in the side. That way the bait doesn't get cleaned out so fast. As far as clean up goes, they would just have to haul out the barrel after the season.

I wish I could bait with a 5" hole in the barrel. That would mean a lot of trips to the bait site to re-bait but ours are a good distance from home so we use a 1 1/2" hole. The grease would just clog the hole up.

Also, not sure on the weather in most places up here, but if it were to get cold, that grease would thicken and you'd have huge chunks of bait inside the barrel that won't fit through the hole. Have had that happen before, the entire barrel was full of huge chunks.

I liked using grease to pour on the ground all around the barrel so that the bears would get it all over themselves and leave scent trails to and from the bait as they came and went. That worked really well, just need a good amount of grease.

Good luck this spring.