Thread: Burbot set question

Default Burbot set question

From reading the regs, a set line has mandated hook requirements, but what about tip ups on a day trip? Do the same rules apply even if I'm not leaving the gear overnight and I'm actively fishing it? Buddy and I are going to Moose lake on Saturday to try our hand at Burbot fishing; have not caught a Burbot before and have heard some good things about this lake.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    From reading the regs, a set line has mandated hook requirements, but what about tip ups on a day trip? Do the same rules apply even if I'm not leaving the gear overnight and I'm actively fishing it? Buddy and I are going to Moose lake on Saturday to try our hand at Burbot fishing; have not caught a Burbot before and have heard some good things about this lake.
    I haven't read the specific regs on it in awhile, but from what I recall, you allowed to have enough lines out to equal your bag limit. So if your bag limit is 5 burbot per day you can have 5 set lines or 5 tip ups per person.

is that 5 total ? or can you also fish for other fish an have 2 more lines just a question SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    is that 5 total ? or can you also fish for other fish an have 2 more lines just a question SID
    Sorry, I can't answer that question for sure. My guess would be 5 total, since the possibility would exist to catch more than your bag limit if you were allowed more than 5 lines in any combination of set lines or regular jigging setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Yes it would be 5 total. You cannot add them together.
    See the last paragraph on page 4 of the fishing regulations book. It is very clear on this one.
    For Burbot fishing you may use up to 15 lines or whatever the limit is for Burbot where you are fishing.
    So if the lake allows you 5 burbot the limit is 5 lines. If the lake has no limit on Burbot then it would be a maximum of 15 lines total.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I see what you are saying and upon reading the regs it isn't clear on that one.
    I know it doesn't help you for this weekend but a call to ADF&G is probably the only way to sort this out.
    I have always just used set lines and followed the regs for those. Then seperately had a rod to jig for them.

I believe, regardless of fishing method, hook must have a gap opening greater than 3/4 inch and be set on the bottom. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd stick to if it were me.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I believe, regardless of fishing method, hook must have a gap opening greater than 3/4 inch and be set on the bottom. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd stick to if it were me.
    Thanks. This is the sort of info I was seeking out, but I was unaware to the number of lines allowed. We'll be fishing 2 line apiece.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm gonna jump in here with my 2 cents... I don't think the hook gap requirement applies to rod and reel or attended tip-up fishing. Only to an unattended set line.
    otherwise every lure or hook used in waters where you might catch a burbot would have to be 3/4" gap.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I'm gonna jump in here with my 2 cents... I don't think the hook gap requirement applies to rod and reel or attended tip-up fishing. Only to an unattended set line.
    otherwise every lure or hook used in waters where you might catch a burbot would have to be 3/4" gap.
    Very good points Dave and thats how we have always done it.
    Of course where we fish Burbot up resurrection Troopers are few and far between.

What do you look for when picking a spot on a map to fish burbot?Muddy bottom right? 10-20 fow? I'm out on big lake and have tried a few spots tonight. One hit pretty sure it was a char, since the hit I turned on my camera and I'm seeing lots of char. Still better than sitting at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burbot are predatory fish that like grayling, whitefish, suckers and whatever else they can ambush. I have caught them in 2 feet of water over mud, rock or gravel, and up to 80 feet with a variety of bottoms. Look for the patterns of their prey in the lake you're fishing and fish accordingly. Note that they do most of their feeding at night, and may travel quite a ways to a feeding spot.

In about 1980 I was issued a ticket while fishing for burbot in the Chena river. I had two lines on rods and was fishing with cut bait near where the Tanana Chief is located today. I was using hooks with a 5/8 inch gap and a chunk of bait that no grayling would have been able to eat. I had about 8 burbot on the stringer when the game warden checked my system. He congratulated me on my success and then asked me to reel a line up so he could check my rig.I was written up for fishing with a hook with a gap of less then 3/4 on an inch. I went to court to contest the ticket and the officer that issued the ticket didn't show up for court so it was dismissed by the judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    In about 1980 I was issued a ticket while fishing for burbot in the Chena river. I had two lines on rods and was fishing with cut bait near where the Tanana Chief is located today. I was using hooks with a 5/8 inch gap and a chunk of bait that no grayling would have been able to eat. I had about 8 burbot on the stringer when the game warden checked my system. He congratulated me on my success and then asked me to reel a line up so he could check my rig.I was written up for fishing with a hook with a gap of less then 3/4 on an inch. I went to court to contest the ticket and the officer that issued the ticket didn't show up for court so it was dismissed by the judge.
    Thats interesting that they wrote you up like that.
    Where I fish Burbot there are also lake trout and rainbow trout present. I can't imagine fishing rainbows with a 3/4" gap hook.
    If I happen to catch a burbot on a trout jig I guess that means I would have to let it go?
    confusing to say the least. A call to ADF&G is definetly warranted on this one.

Why would you have to let a burbot go if caught with a trout jig?

If your hook/bait is resting on the bottom (in a lake with burbot) the hook needs to have a 3/4" gap or larger. Key words there are "resting on the bottom". Otherwise, you can (and should) be using smaller hooks for jigging and for tipups NOT resting on the bottom.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Why would you have to let a burbot go if caught with a trout jig?

If your hook/bait is resting on the bottom (in a lake with burbot) the hook needs to have a 3/4" gap or larger. Key words there are "resting on the bottom". Otherwise, you can (and should) be using smaller hooks for jigging and for tipups NOT resting on the bottom.
    If you read what Contender wrote you will see he was written a ticket for fishing Burbot with a hook that had a gap smaller than 3/4".
    Since my trout hooks have the smaller gap they would not meet the required Burbot regulations as written.
    Now I'm not saying thats right or not but if the troopers are writing tickets for using small hooks to catch Burbot then I would have to technically let burbot go that were caught on trout hooks.
    Again I don't think that sounds right or legal but if there is a 3/4" hook gap required for Burbot well...
    I am going to stop by ADF&G when I get off the slope and ask them to clarify this.
    It appears page 22 of the southcentral regs states that in the Susitna river drainages you may only use more than one line if you meet all other Burbot regs.
    That would include 3/4" hook gap,resting on bottom,name and address on each line,and checked every 24 hours.
    It also says all other fish caught must be released.
    This is noy exactly the same as what is on page one of the southcentral regs book which does not state all other fish must be released.
    Anyway when I ask ADF&G I'll report back.

Another side note to my post about the ticket. Fairbanks has grown up a lot since those days and there is many times more pressure on burbot now. It was unusual to hear of people fishing for them back in the 70s as far as I knew then. Some ice fishing and mostly for dog food at that time. When I was issued the citation it was spring time open water fishing and as far as I remember that 3/4 inch gap was a new regulation at the time. I knew of it but I also figured it was intended for set line fishing rather than rod and reel where you could release non target fish. Ironically the bait that I was using at the time was chunks of grayling that I had caught on a fly rod earlier that same day. The officer could easily see what the bait consisted of and it was legal to do so at the time. I was legal to catch and retain 10 graying per day in the Chena River then because like I have already mentioned it was a different time and there wasn't much pressure on the resource like today. Since those days we have all witnessed many changes to save our resources and that is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post

The regs do require a 3/4" gap.
    The regs also say there is a differance in Lakes and Rivers. ( I believe the quota for a lake is 5, and the quota for a river is 15 )

Take some time to read the regs, they are pretty clear on this subject.

On a side note here is a F&G site noteworthy for the burbot fishermen.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ucation.burbot