Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska population declining. Good/bad/interesting?

Default Alaska population declining. Good/bad/interesting?

http://www.adn.com/article/20141223/...th-dakota-48th

So we have stopped growing and even shrunk as a state. I think pretty much every sportsman in the more populated areas definitely thinks from time to time "Alaska is full, go home." I think a bit of shrinkage or slowing of our growth, especially in the cities might be good for a while. Less competition for Kenai salmon, caribou, jobs, state funding and such. Curious what everyone else sees or thinks about this trend. The smaller places and villages are still shrinking and consolidating. Its going to be an interesting next decade to see how the human landscape in Alaska turns out.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

The question is- is this population shrinkage is state wide or just rural? The south central population growth has strained unit 13, the mouth of the Kenai, and all places in between. While population growth fuels many industries it is certainly not good for the reason people came here in the first place.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    While population growth fuels many industries it is certainly not good for the reason people came here in the first place.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    While population growth fuels many industries it is certainly not good for the reason people came here in the first place.
    True story.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell.... An economy/society based on perpetual population growth and consumption is, by definition, unsustainable and self destructive.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

527. That's not exactly news, we were passed because N. Dakota grew by 16,000. In fact, I bet that 527 was within the percentage of error of the census. We might have actually grown by a few folks.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Aw gee, Doug... Here I was thinking 527 was a good start!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Aw gee, Doug... Here I was thinking 527 was a good start!
    Yeahhhh. I'd like to see 16000 people move away from AK. That'd be a great start.

Release Lake Trout

Population may be declining, but hunting pressure, most notably pressure for moose/sheep/caribou and bear is growing fast.

Moose is getting tremendous pressure, with every river, and vacant acre being sold to every out of stater that has a dime. For some reason moose has become very popular to out of state hunters. Mid winter, not so much..lol We have it all to our selves then.

Default Moose

Moose is popular to "out of staters" because they do not require a guide and can be a lot less physically demanding that other species + They are BIG. It would be great to make them a Guide species for non-residents.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Population may be declining, but hunting pressure, most notably pressure for moose/sheep/caribou and bear is growing fast.

Moose is getting tremendous pressure, with every river, and vacant acre being sold to every out of stater that has a dime. For some reason moose has become very popular to out of state hunters. Mid winter, not so much..lol We have it all to our selves then.

Quote Originally Posted by rcoker View Post
    Moose is popular to "out of staters" because they do not require a guide and can be a lot less physically demanding that other species + They are BIG. It would be great to make them a Guide species for non-residents.
    That's all Alaskans need is more guides claiming public land as "theirs". Be thankful that most non res moose hunters are DIYs. Remember, guided hunters are more successful than non guided. Be careful what you wish for.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by rcoker View Post
    . It would be great to make them a Guide species for non-residents.

Ya know what would be even GREATER? Get rid of the requirement to have a guide for ANY game hunting in Alaska and leave it up to the individual hunter to decide if he's capable or not. But that's for another thread, I guess.
    As for our falling population, I say horrayyy!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

As for North Dakota......The break even point on those shale/fracking operations is around $86.00 to $92.00 per barrel. Plus they are leveraged and mortgaged to the max, as there business operation model. They are shutting down sites now, and many more will follow with oil at $55.70 and falling. This is the goal of the Saudi Government, to smash the "Frackers" broke, bankrupt. They figure two years will do it and prices could fall to around $38.50 per barrel.

It is not personal, it is just business. To some this was/is engineered by America with Saudi agreement. The bigger goal is to put the hurt on Russia and some South American oil countries. Playing into this is the massive oil deposit just off Cuba. (Note our last week normalized relationship with Cuba after 50 years of isolation. OIL Baby, Massive Oil Field just off shore of Cuba.

It is going to hurt Alaska a bunch. Be careful what you wish for: Your home could drop 30% to 60% in market value. And if you refinanced your home and have mortgage higher than basis, if you walk you owe IRS for the difference, even if you are unemployed and bankrupt. Cities, Boroughs, Schools systems, State Employees, Oil Patch employees, the lay-off will be pain-full across the employment spectrum if this lasts more than six or twelve months.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    As for North Dakota......The break even point on those shale/fracking operations is around $86.00 to $92.00 per barrel. Plus they are leveraged and mortgaged to the max, as there business operation model. They are shutting down sites now, and many more will follow with oil at $55.70 and falling. This is the goal of the Saudi Government, to smash the "Frackers" broke, bankrupt. They figure two years will do it and prices could fall to around $38.50 per barrel.

It is not personal, it is just business. To some this was/is engineered by America with Saudi agreement. The bigger goal is to put the hurt on Russia and some South American oil countries. Playing into this is the massive oil deposit just off Cuba. (Note our last week normalized relationship with Cuba after 50 years of isolation. OIL Baby, Massive Oil Field just off shore of Cuba.

It is going to hurt Alaska a bunch. Be careful what you wish for: Your home could drop 30% to 60% in market value. And if you refinanced your home and have mortgage higher than basis, if you walk you owe IRS for the difference, even if you are unemployed and bankrupt. Cities, Boroughs, Schools systems, State Employees, Oil Patch employees, the lay-off will be pain-full across the employment spectrum if this lasts more than six or twelve months.

yea, under 40 would lead to some pretty serious slope lay offs. It's so funny that we were buzzing along pretty well with 28 dollar oil.

The retail sectors should do better with the increased disposable income from lower energy expenses...

fisherman here.. global protein demand should remain high.

I own a bunch of land I can't even sell now, so I am sure I won't be able to sell with a contraction... we'll see I guess.

I'm staying...lol

AGL4now must have experienced the 80s when we went from eleven banking firms in Anchorage to only three in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Ya know what would be even GREATER? Get rid of the requirement to have a guide for ANY game hunting in Alaska and leave it up to the individual hunter to decide if he's capable or not. But that's for another thread, I guess.
    As for our falling population, I say horrayyy!
    That and higher license/tag prices for them, but what do we know, we're just hillbillies from the "bush"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES, and I lost $961,000.00 spent eight years in court fighting FDIC. Was with-in 72 hours of submitting my filled out Bankruptcy papers to the court, their Lawyers called and said, "If I would agree to fully max out my three credit cards to the LIMIT, which had zero balance, they would settle the case, and I could avoid bankruptcy". I agreed to the terms.

It was a bad time in Alaska. The banks were selling homes that people walked away from and had to leave Alaska, after they had paid $164,000.00 for the homes. The bank was selling them for around $16,400.00 and many went unsold.

What turned things around was the Joseph Hazelwood employment act of 1989, also known as the massive oil spill.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    AGL4now must have experienced the 80s when we went from eleven banking firms in Anchorage to only three in two years.

Until we can develop a sustainable economy other than "boom and bust" I would wager history will repeat itself. Oil under $40 and a downsizing of the military up here and I dare say we'd lose that 16,000 number mentioned earlier.
    Which, incidentally, is roughly the number of active duty military here, give or take a few thousand.

Defunding gas pipeline,Bristol bay protection and surplus fuel from fracking has to help move some folks.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Do we get to pick WHO leaves?

I know your pain my friend!

It was a nightmare!

I remained employed but the expensive girlfriend didn't so I bought her a ticket to L48 family [ONE WAY].

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    YES, and I lost $961,000.00 spent eight years in court fighting FDIC. Was with-in 72 hours of submitting my filled out Bankruptcy papers to the court, their Lawyers called and said, "If I would agree to fully max out my three credit cards to the LIMIT, which had zero balance, they would settle the case, and I could avoid bankruptcy". I agreed to the terms.

It was a bad time in Alaska. The banks were selling homes that people walked away from and had to leave Alaska, after they had paid $164,000.00 for the homes. The bank was selling them for around $16,400.00 and many went unsold.

What turned things around was the Joseph Hazelwood employment act of 1989, also known as the massive oil spill.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast