Thread: 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on Yukon River - Maintenance Issues

Default 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on Yukon River - Maintenance Issues

Folks,

Planning on using a 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on an 18 foot Sotar raft on a VERY long Yukon River trip. New outboard broken in last summer and running great. Got the factory repair manual and am putting together a maintenance parts list to include spare water pump. I have little experience with a small outboards on the silty Yukon and am trying to decide if having adequate spare parts will suffice - or do I need to actually take a spare motor (or have one ready to ship to a village along the way as a replacement). I just have no idea how reliable a water cooled 4 stroke will be in this kind of silty water. I do plan on changing oil and drive shaft fluids during the trip and will have provisions for flushing the water pump system. The raft is outfitted with an excellent rowing set-up, but I believe the motor will be "required" to combat the constant up-river winds for the long trip so I consider the motor very important to complete the trip. Any advise/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Take a spare output shaft seal or two and oil to go with, spare prop, which I am sure you will. Do not forget a gasket for the water pump housing, a spare recoil cord, grease for the pivot points, spark plugs and fuel filter of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    Folks,

Planning on using a 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on an 18 foot Sotar raft on a VERY long Yukon River trip. New outboard broken in last summer and running great. Got the factory repair manual and am putting together a maintenance parts list to include spare water pump. I have little experience with a small outboards on the silty Yukon and am trying to decide if having adequate spare parts will suffice - or do I need to actually take a spare motor (or have one ready to ship to a village along the way as a replacement). I just have no idea how reliable a water cooled 4 stroke will be in this kind of silty water. I do plan on changing oil and drive shaft fluids during the trip and will have provisions for flushing the water pump system. The raft is outfitted with an excellent rowing set-up, but I believe the motor will be "required" to combat the constant up-river winds for the long trip so I consider the motor very important to complete the trip. Any advise/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    I run a 7.5 2 stroke and have had no problems. I know others that run various size 4 strokes with no issues. You should be fine with the spare parts. Take an extra prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Take an extra prop.
    Make that two......

Many thanks for the responses.

hi yukon..have had this motor for 8 years
    now and no issues!...first on my 18 foot alumarine with 60/40 jet
    and it now lives on the new 18 foot wooly jet boat!....hull speed
    on the jet is about 4-5 mph..use it for
    trolling and hunting on the down drift to keep it
    between the ditches!!😄
    ..fuel burn?...what fuel burn!!😆..sounds like a great trip--have fun! larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Ditto what bcriverhunter said. My Tohatsu 6hp is a '04 model that I bought new with a porta-bote. Never had any problems...pretty impressive for a one lunger. I put a Mac's River Runner skeg guard on it that was worth the extra $100 as I mainly use it on a shallow, rocky, stump strewn river.

Yukon77,

If this 4-stroke, 6hp Tohatsu is anywhere close to new then I'd suggest an extra spark plug, two extra props, and extra fluids. That little motor is going to run like a top for too many years to count. I'll be surprised if you run that little engine long enough to actually require draining and replacing lower unit fluid while on the water. It's 100hrs between oil/lower unit fluid changes...and that's going by the book. 6-8hrs a day and you can run that thing for a couple of weeks prior changing fluids... I put three years my 6hp Tohatsu and really liked it's low weight, decent horsepower, and low fuel consumption. Rest assured that you'll likely have a great experience with this little outboard.

I know that they used to make the Nissan- and the Mercury-branded outboards. Not sure if that makes any difference in your brand choice...but it may add other options when looking at the used market options.

Iceking02

I am curious as to what your trip is. This sounds like a fun one.