Thread: semi-auto holster

Default semi-auto holster

I am looking for a holster for heavy frame, 5" barrel semi-auto.
    I will be using/carrying the gun primarily while bowhunting in areas I feel may have a higher chance of grizzly encounters. I have carried a 44 Ruger for years, but that gun is bigger and heavier than I like to carry all day long. I have been using a shoulder holster, which works ok as long as I am not carrying a backpack. I just have to rember to practice shooting the bow with it on. It is not my first choice though now that I have done it.
    Generally, how do you like to carry your sidearms while in the woods? Have you found a holster or system that works well while carrying a med/lg day pack or a backpack? What about weather, noise, durability, etc?
    Thanks for the comments.

Default carry method

One important thing I have learned is to carry a handgun on the opposite side that I carry my primary weapon on. I am a rifle hunter and right handed so I normally have my rifle in my right hand or over my right shoulder. If I do carry a handgun, it is in a cross draw rig on my left hip. I imagine you carry your bow in your left hand (if you are right handed). A handgun slightly back from your centerline on the right hip might be the best place for you. This will keep it handy but out of the way also.
    The other thing I would add is find a method that is comfortable, practice ALOT with it and stay with that set-up so it becomes muscle memory.

Default Holster

Have a look at the Galco dual position Phoenix.

Tactical drop style holster. stays out of the way and it's right there when you need it.

Jon

Good point JR. I do carry the bow left handed, so the gun needs to stay clear of that and perfect practice makes perfect.
    twt, did look at S-Whse, but did not see that Galco there. Will go on line.
    AH3, do you have a favorite model/manufacturer?
    Also, do you all like leather or synthetic?
    Did talk to a friend PO who uses Fobus paddle style. Have not found one yet but will consider it.
    Thanks, and I will keep watching to see what else folks like to do.

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

I have several of these holsters. They are great!
    I wish I could trade that big box of leather holsters for Blade Techs.

I even bought an IWB for my S&W 329. It is surprising how well it conceals. And having it under my belt and shirt, it does not interfer with my bow.
    They have paddle holsters as well as several other designs.

Nice photos Mr. Knee. Thanks. I do not mind spending hard earned dollars on a system that works well. I hate to spend those greenbacks on something that I will only use once and then keep forever because I can't bear to part with it. Sharing information is a huge plus for this site.