Thread: Does a Remington 700, 22-250 Have a use in Alaska

Default Does a Remington 700, 22-250 Have a use in Alaska

I have aquired a Remington 700 22-250 after a good buddy passed. Nice gun, heavy barrel,beautiful wood stock.
    As I consider which guns are needed/practical for Alaska I wonder if this is a keeper or not. Does this extemely fast small
    round have a place up there? I already have a 700 in 30-06 and an AR (another fast small round).

I would appreciate your comments

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Its an excellent varmint or furbearer round. Longer range for calling in those critters.

Oh, and I don't ever think I've considered the 06' a "small" round......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Oh, and I don't ever think I've considered the 06' a "small" round......lol
    Not comparing the 06 to the 22-250 just that I had another 700.

I would love to have one for sniping marmots of rocks. Just cant justify buying one...until I can no longer find 22 (rimfire) ammo

Seal and Sea Otter for those who are eligible... For everyone else, it is a great round for fur like coyote, fox, river otter, and as mentioned it is especially good if predator calling. I buddy has a Rem 700 VFSF Sendro in 22-250, fluted barrel, trigger job, and McMillan stock and it is a sweet rifle.

Do to the speed and flat shooting, this is one gun that really benefits from having higher quality and magnification optics. A plain old VX-I in 3x9 would be like running your car around with the spare tire.

Sobie2

It's a great round and fine for a lot of uses in AK. I know a lot of people that use it for caribou and I'd do so as well, given proper bullet selection. In fact, a 1:8 twist 22-250 will almost certainly be my next rifle build for lots of uses......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have used mine for fur critters also it is deadly on deer, my dad even used his on a goat hunt and was successful with it. There are lots of good uses for it

Thanks for your input......seeing nothing negetive so far it looks like its good for everything except moose and bear. I know when I fired it
    a few years back it was nice, smooth and very accurate. I just got new high profile scope rings (the existing rings had the scope touching the
    barrel) in preparation to sell it. If I keep it I will upgrade the current Burris 12x40 Sport Scope.

Anybody try out a Shepard Scope?

A 22-250 is a Coyote killin machine. I bet it would do a number on some Black tail as well.

Default 22-250

i love mine i have shot black tail with it, fox,coyotes marmots. ive burnt out the barrel once and had it barreled with a lija 1 in 10 to shoot heaver bullets. on a calm day i can get 1 and 1/4 groups at five hundred yards with it.

I have the 700 VSSF in 22-250 its a critter killer for sure.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I also have the VSSF with a Timney trigger and 3.5x15 night force scope. Would never let it go. Great varmint rifle and more cost effective then my magnum for practicing at the range.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

My next firearms purchase will be either the .22-250 or a .220 swift.

Release Lake Trout

I have one that I purchased when I was sixteen years old, my first loan and paid for with lawn-mowing money. It was stolen and returned to me ten years later by the Idaho State Police. The scope had been replaced with a cheap brand and the barrel had seen lots of use. I sent the action to Birdsong for a Black-T treatment, sent it to a custom smith in the lower 48 for a barrel replacement (.22-250AI), stainless, fluted Douglas and mounted it in a H-S Precision synthetic stock. Also put a Leopold 6X18 AO scope on it and had a trigger job done. In its past life it was a Remington 700 ADL built in 1972 I believe. I love this rifle and will never consider getting rid of it. This is one of my most accurate rifles on the bench. Even if you don't plan to hunt with it, I'd say it definitely has a use in Alaska, if only for punching paper. You will have a blast with it at the range! JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I also have a 700 Remington in 22-250 with a 6X18 AO Leupold with Leupold rings and bases. Mine has had a trigger job as well. I love mine also. I handload for mine and use a 53 gr. hp made by Sierra bullets. Very accurate and just plain fun to shoot. I have killed two deer with mine, both shot in the neck where the neck meets the base of the head. Both droped in there tracks and when they were skinned I took a knife and cut the head off. No bone left intact. I have shot fox with a small entrance hole and no exit hole. You must pick your shots to get this to happen but it is doable. I don't think there is many places on earth that they would not have a place. If there is I don't want to be there.

Still kicking myself for selling mine 22yrs. Ago. Shot a lot of gophers, rock chucks, coyotes with it in Montana. Also dropped an antelope in its tracks. Sold it for gas $ to drive back up here. Hopefully someone's getting some use out of it.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Popular rifle out here.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well........I sold it along with some other guns and the bulk of my ammo as a package deal.
    Mixed feelings but have to lighten the load if I want to move up there.
    Too much of a pain and expense to move all that up from Florida.